4.0 out of 5 stars Cleans hygenically and quickly
I am not a great fan of mopping. It's wet. leaves water on the floor which is dangerous and has the problem of emptying dirty water out in a sink (why do I always spill a bit?) I'd heard people rave about steam cleaners and, nothing ventured nothing gained, gave it a go.
Published on 21 April 2011 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars It is OK
I got this mop 3 months ago as my new 3rd floor flat is hard floors throughout: flagstone Terracotta tiles in kitchen, Lino in bathroom, parquet floors in hall and lounge, varnished floors in bedrooms and painted floor in Dining room.

Published on 24 Oct 2011 by Louis

4.0 out of 5 stars Cleans hygenically and quickly, 21 April 2011
Amazon Customer "Angel Jem" (Liverpool, Merseyside United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Vax Steam Mop - S2 Upright Hard Floor Master (Kitchen & Home)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I really enjoyed using this. Filling and heating are easy, you even get a measuring gauge to tell you how much water to put in. It takes a little more than the promised 5 seconds to heat up, but not much and you do get about 20 minutes of strong steam cleaning which is usually enough for a kitchen floor. The handle is... ok, but probably the reason it scores a 4 rather than a 5. It's a little cumbersome, and you need a firm grip to keep pressing the steam button. However, the cleaning power it has after that makes up for it. I have used it on my kitchen and bathroom floors and they are looking good. It cleans most stains and even took the sticker that (ahem) some 8 year old had left as a sign of love that hadn't shifted no matter what I did. The heat is very strong and the steam barely has a chance to condense before it evaporates. Certainly, I had no puddles of water on the floor. As long as the steamer is heated up fully, it basically has no water, only steam.
There's a useful little triangle that you slip on over the microfibre cover that means you can use this on your carpets, too. I refreshed my living room carpet and it did give the fibres new life. The stains were loosened enough so that, between the steam cleaner and a drop of Vanish spot remover, they have really faded. The carpet smelt fresh, too. I'm working my way around the house now, refreshing carpets as I go.
Its small footprint (less than a foot in either direction) means that the cleaner sits very quietly in my cupboard, ready for use. I haven't quite got rid of my mop bucket, yet, but the mop is sad and lonely, and very worried about eviction...

3.0 out of 5 stars It is OK, 24 Oct 2011
Louis "lk28" (uk) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

The mop heats up in a minute or so, and is ready to use in this time, very quick. I did not like the smooth white cover it comes with as it comes off too easily but I bought the blue 'long hair' mop cover which is much much better and doesn't come off. Both wah well. It takes a little while for the steam to come through sometimes, moisten the mop cover first (I use a spray bottle).

The floors dry in a few minutes, a lot quicker than a regular mop. Not too slippery

I tend to use part Ironing Water (like vaporesse) as it gives a nice fresh smell as you mop. I can mop the whole top floor (8 decent sized rooms) on one water fill.

TILES AND LINO: the mop is very good. It cleans and mops at the same time. No better really than a regular mop, but a lot more convenient. Quicker drying. What the mop was designed for, I guess

PARQUET: It mops very well leaving a nice shine

VARNISHED FLOOR: I do use it but have the feeling it doesn't do them much good. This may be as there are not enough coats on my floors though.

PAINTED FLOOR: Cleans well and leaves them nice and shiney.

Down Sides
The mop is very heavy, not suitable for a disabled/old person. You need to give it a bit of welly, certainly does not glide.
I am not convinced the rug attachment does much.
I would recommend spending the extra 10 on the long hair microfibre mop cover, the strings come out a bit to start, but this settled down after a few uses.

ALL IN ALL: convenient to use as you do not have to mess about with mops and buckets (as I live on 3rd floor this is a REAL consideration), but I would not spend over 100, certainly if money is a consideration. It doesn't revolutionise cleaning, but it is a lot more convenient.

4.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin!, 19 Nov 2012
Having done a LOT of research on steam cleaners I eventually bought this one, despite the negative reviews! If u are expecting this product to mop the kitchen floor for you whilst u sit down and have a cup of tea, then u will be sadly disappointed! If , however, u live in the real world then this cleaner does what it says it does! Yes, you have to push it around the floor to clean it and no, it does not glide across the floor effortlessly, it is not a hover-craft, its a steam mop!! I think the people who have given this product such awful reviews clearly have unrealistic expectations of a 50 pound steam mop! If u read the instructions you will see that it says to apply the steam in short bursts by using the trigger, if u go and hold the trigger down the whole time then it will put too much water on your floor! As a busy mum of a toddler and a soon to be crawling baby I am just happy that I don't have to spend hours scrubbing my kitchen floor and that once the steam mop has done its job, my floor is sterile and safe for my children. So, you see, its all about realistic expectations, something which I think some reviewers know nothing about! this product steam cleans your floors with a bit of help from you! Job done!

5.0 out of 5 stars Steam-Punk : Cleaning With Attitude, 21 Mar 2011
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm pretty delighted with this lightweight and steamy cleaning toy!

For a full and very detailed account do see another reviewer chrishamer, who has given just about all the details you need to get on well with your Steam Stick.

All I can really say is it certainly does deep-clean lino. I thought I'd clean the kitchen floor as I was tapping my toes waiting for delivery, and it seemed a good idea to clean the floor FIRST (like washing your hair before going to the hairdressers!) since I wondered whether the Vax could improve on mop and cleaning product, and maybe go one better. A resounding YES. I would have said my floor was clean. However, the little cloth cover which you have to fix over the base, through which the steam comes, quickly became a little grubby. So - floor not as squeaky clean with the mop as I'd thought. Now it looks pristine.

The big advantage is the floor only gets damp, not wet, as you work, so drying is pretty instantaneous.

I didn't have the problem one reviewer did, where the covering cloth became a bit sopping wet (and hence the floor, also) My problem was rather the reverse, it worked best if I dampened the cloth cover first - otherwise the cloth cover had a tendency to work loose, as it dragged on the marginally damp floor. The cloth covers are machine washable, though you are advised not to use a conditioning product in the wash, just washing powder.

I'm delighted to see the steam stick comes with an inbuilt hard water filter, which you are advised to change about every 6 months/when it becomes discoloured. This is a clearly crucial bit of design for anyone who lives in hard water areas (that's me!) However, I'm so totally into the habit of using my BRITA Elemaris Meter Cool Black Water Filter Jug to filter water for almost everything now (kettle, coffee maker, iron) that I will use filtered water for this - I bought a new kettle a year and a half ago, and ONLY using filtered water in it means the element and inside of the kettle looks as pristine as the day it was new. The tank takes 500 ml water max (2 fillings with the provided measuring jug, and that gives you a steamy time for 25 minutes (that's QUITE long enough to be cleaning, in my book!)

I would have liked the ability to get right into corners with this, but that's probably an ask too far and is the role of one of the hand held steamers with their various nook and cranny attachments, such as HAND HELD QUEST POWER STEAM CLEANER STEAMER 1050 WATT or Vax S4 Grime Master Handheld Steam Cleaner

Unfortunately the accessories for the Steam Stick (hard water filter and replacement steamer cloth cover set) are not yet available on Amazon but can be found on Vax's site.

The item comes with a 2 year guarantee

Later EDIT - the instruction manual expressly says you CAN'T use this on laminate floors, however do notice that product information provided on this page by the manufacturer says the following:

Please note: The Vax S2 Steamer CAN be used safely on all sealed laminate floors - please disregard the caution on the user guide that comes with the product.

So - I guess you can. Or not! However, I have noted that using it on varnished and sanded wood floors it does seem to have removed some varnish.

Even LATER Edit....as I was interested in seeing if replacement mop heads were available on Amazon (not yet) I found various mop heads for other models, and took a chance....for those using this who felt the floor got too wet, try 1x Microfibre CORAL Washable Pad Fits H2O H20 Steam Mop By Zary its a much thicker, more water absorbent head, and fits the Vax beautifully - its larger, but the same shape, so the drawstring holds it nice and snug. The same supplier also sells the plain Microfibre ones more cheaply, than Vax do, though I haven't tried these, so can't comment on fit or quality - but they MUST fit the Vax as they are for the 'H20 Steam Mop' that this thicker one is for 4x Microfibre CLOTH Washable Pad Fits H2O H20 Steam Mop By Zary; 6 x Microfibre CLOTH Washable Pad Fits H2O H20 Steam Mop By Zary I took a chance by ordering the cheapest one I could find (the single thick one on the first link) in case it didn't fit.

And yet another edit.......having tried the Microfibre CLOTH washpads as above I can confirm that the quality AND the fit are far superior to Vax's own - the Vax cloth works itself off from time to time, the larger ones from Zary pull up and encase the mop much better

AND more (will this editing never stop......18 months approx on and the little steamie is going strong. I thought it might be time to change the hard water filter, as it had become the colour of a smoker's lungs and ordered Vax S2 Series Steamer Hard Water Filter Kit which arrived promptly, and a nice pale ecru in colour, compared to the filter in situ. What is interesting is that over time the kitchen floor seemed to have become a little wetter as I cleaned so it took a little time to dry. With the new filter, the steam seems fiercer and more energised, and the floor is much more lightly and intensely steamed, drying more quickly.

Steam, steam steam!

An I HOPE FINAL FINAL edit. 2 years and 2 months after the initial review, the little steamy got short of breath, and steam output and its happy little steaming noise, died. My response (it being out of guarantee) was to IMMEDIATELY order the same product as replacement. Yes, I investigated other reviews of other models, including Vax's own 'update' of this (the version with detergent) but have decided that my original satisfaction with the S2 has diminished not one whit. At a reasonable price it has proved more economical to get a new stick rather than return to Vax for servicing, as it is out of guarantee. I trust mark 2 will give me equally good and uncomplaining service

Happy steam mopping to you all

5.0 out of 5 stars Completely changed my view on cleaning floors., 19 Mar 2011
C. Hamer "chrisahamer" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
In our household we don't have much hard flooring but we still all try our best to avoid getting the job of cleaning it. Using a mop to clean floors is quite a long and arduous process and personally I hate it profusely.

Enter the Vax S2 Steam Cleaner.
First off, setting this machine up is incredibly easy, removing the water tank was uncomplicated and as was re connecting it to the device. There are also two screws which are their to hold the unit together more securely which provided no issues.

Placing the micro-fibre cloth onto the floor head was easy as well which tightens with a simple drawstring.

Once connected to power the unit heated up in less than a minute which I was very impressed with - seems like it produces hot water faster than our kettle does!

The actual cleaning process was equally impressive.
I thought that our kitchen floor was clean - it had been cleaned the day before.
Oh how wrong I was. After I cleaned the floor which was effortless and very quick (about half the time than it would have otherwise taken) I rinsed out the micro-fibre pad and the water was borderline brown due to the amount of dirt it had picked up. This was very impressive.

Next off I tried it on the bathroom tiles, again it was much easier than using a mop and did a more thorough job, although it didn't pick up much extra dirt - it needs to be noted that tiles are much easier to keep clean than linoleum flooring. So there was not much dirt on the tiles to begin with. It did however seem to clean the grouting more effectively which was nice.

One of the major advantages of I noticed over conventional cleaning methods was that the cleaner did not leave any streaks when the flooring dried. Although one negative point was that after a few minutes I noticed the flooring getting very wet - a little too wet so I took the cloth off and dried it off a bit by wringing out the water which negated the issue.

The only gripe I had was that it said it wasn't suitable for laminate flooring which is a bit of a shame.

Lastly I tried it on some some of the carpeted rooms. It comes with a carpet `glider' which is good and made the process very smooth.
The carpets did seem noticeably cleaner - according to my mother, despite the fact it is not sold as a cleaning device.Yet thankfully it did not leave the carpets at all wet. They did smell noticeably fresher as well.
It does call the process `Refreshing' in the manual so if all it is supposed to do is freshen them up it did do a very good job of it. Even going so far as to cleaning them a bit as well!

The capacity of this cleaner was about right, it was not too heavy but allowed me to do about 25 minutes of cleaning per fill. I filled it up about 5 times to do the whole house which was not too much hassle.

On the whole this is a great cleaner which definitely makes cleaning hard flooring an absolute dream! It also does a good job of freshening carpets even cleaning them a bit
A great product from Vax that I am definitely going to recommend from now on!

Positives:
Not too heavy
Is ready to use in less than a minute.
25 minutes of steaming time is enough for most rooms.
Freshens carpets effectively and gets rid of odors as well as partially cleaning them.
Pretty much returned our linoleum to `as new' cleanliness which it hasn't been for 10 years.

Negatives
At times it can make hard flooring very wet requiring you to wring out the pad.
Cannot be used on laminate flooring.

Notes: My mother also tried out the device and absolutely loved it. In her words, it would make a fantastic mother day gift.

1.0 out of 5 stars Hope my mother-in-law doesn't read this- It's going to end up being her Christmas present!, 23 Oct 2012
Where to begin? Firstly I'm really annoyed with myself. Why don't I heed advice! I read all the negative reviews (as well as positive) and still bought the Vax. AAAaarrrggh! I wouldn't recommend this product and there's truth in the old adage "Buy cheap...pay twice".
Crucially, the steam cleaner does not produce anything like enough steam. Green light comes on after 1 minute ..ready to go!! press the button, steam comes out and you can start mopping, 4 (not a typo, I do mean four!) seconds of steam...and then the light goes off. Stop mopping.. wait...wait ..wait ..green light comes on again..and off we go, 4 seconds later light goes off..stop mopping..wait..wait...wait. Well, I'm sure you get the idea. You'll spend more time waiting for the steam to be generated than actually spraying steam around. You'll end up shoving a lukewarm mop head around the kitchen. The mop head keeps rucking up and comes off - the toggle holding the drawstring is not strong enough to create a tight-fit and hold the 'skirt' of the mop onto the mophead (well I know what I mean!)

I'll be 'regifting' this to the mother-in-law because I can't return it now it's used. Hope she doesn't read Amazon reviews!

If you do buy this product have someone in mind that you can pass it on to - seeing as we're coming up to Christmas you could make it a 'Secret Santa' present for a work colleague.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic cleaner, 6 May 2013
Reviewify.co.uk "Mark" (UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)
Length:: 0:54 Mins

I purchased this as after reading the reviews and deciding I no longer wanted to use a mop and bucket to clean the house. Best investment I've made in a long time, it cleans the floors very quickly and there is no waiting for hours for the floors to dry, give it 10 minutes and they feel really nice and fresh again.

So why not 5 stars? Well the water unit can be really hard to take off. I've struggled a little with it, others in my house have had to ask me to remove it. We eventually found the easiest method is to put the steamer on the floor with the handle against a wall so you can use both hands to push the water bottle off the main body.

Aside from that it's fantastic. Came with 2 pads, I've only used 1 pad so far and as you can see in my video it gets really dirty. A quick wash and it's ready to clean up again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good on Slate floors better than Home-Tek, 14 Dec 2011
We bought this to replace a Home-Tek steam mop that has given up after some 2 years of bi-weekly use, the Vax is much easier to fill with water as it has a removable water tank that can be filled from a tap, whereas the Home -Tek needs to be filled by a jug through a small hole. The biggest advantage of the Vax is that the triangular mop heads use draw strings to secure themselves over the head, this works well and allows the head to clean into corners and edges, the Home- Tek uses smaller pads that are fixed by Velcro to the underside of the head, these were always catching on the joints of our slate floors and rucking up, and didn't allow you clean right up to edges, a right pain that we are glad to see the back of. We have bought a couple of the longer micro fibre mop heads that work much beter, as they are more absorbant they can hold more dirt before needing rinsing out. It does take a modicum of effort to push it around the floor, but we think this friction cleans the floor better, kind of giving the floors a bit of a scrub rather than a lick over. Steam is only generated when you press the trigger, giving you control over how much steam you need, the Home-Tek is just on all the time. Our floors are left streak free and dry very quickly (half of a floor will be dry before you finish it). We only see streaks if we don't hoover or sweep the floors first. The cable is also longer which makes cleaning a tad easier. Most of our floors are slate flag stones, which are uneven. The thicker mop head copes well, we also have some oak flooring which is a breeze to do. All in all much quicker than using a mop & bucket. If you are new to these steam mops, the advantages are that your floors dry much faster, you use no detergents (eco friendly and a cost saving), the hot steam lifts greasy spots well & offers some reassurance that you are sort of sterilising your floor! A good time saving product if have hard floors.
As someone who has worked as a carpenter laying laminate floors, I think that there is some confusion in using a steam mop. The instructions say "It is ok to use on laminate floors that are sealed". In practise I think the budget end of laminate flooring are little more than a plastic coated paper print fixed to a HDF (high density fibreboard) board, these boards will absorb water at the joints, becoming raised as they expand, and are not suitable for steam cleaning unless you take great care to not overdo the steam, safer to use a damp mop and dry off afterwards. I think the issue is that steam is more likely to penetrate unsealed joints, more than a lick over with a damp mop. Better quality laminate has a surface more akin to kitchen worktop laminate and will be impervious to water, however they can fixed to bakings that may be absorbant, flooring designed for kitchens and bathrooms should have a water resistant backing and can be safely cleaned by steam. Lastly high end flooring has a laminate of a hard wood at the surface backed by a soft wood board, this type of floor needs sealing with a hard varnish, and is no different from say parquet flooring or other hardwood floors (which are fine). Hope this helps!!

1.0 out of 5 stars not impressed, 19 Nov 2012
Got this as I have a dog, to clean the kitchen floor. Very disappointed had to take the first one back as no steam at all and the second one has almost no steam. I have emailed Vax for possible solution but they did not even have the courtesy to reply. Pay a little extra and get a steamer that steams. I certainly would not recommend this steamer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant for kitchen and bathroom tiled floors, 20 Oct 2011
D. Jones (Warwickshire) - See all my reviews
(No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Length:: 4:48 Mins

I debated for ages whether to buy one of these floor steam cleaners because compared to a mop and bucket it is a lot more expensive. However, I have been unhappy with mops for a long time, they leave the floor wet for ages and I've always been concerned as to whether they harbour a lot of bacteria which you are then transferring to your floor tiles.

Now though, I am so pleased that I did splash out and buy this Vax steam floor cleaner. It was easy to assemble out of the box and within a few minutes I was using it to clean my floor. And it doesn't half clean more thoroughly than a conventional mop. I wanted to be sure that the claims of other reviewers were true so I mopped my floor first, let it dry and then used this afterwards. The cleaning pad which was pristine white very quickly became a muddly brown colour.

All you do to use it is fill the tank with water (if you live in a hard water area it might be best to use water from a filter jug), put a cloth pad on the floor plate, plug it in, wait for it to heat up and off you go.

The cleaner is lighter in weight than a traditional vacuum cleaner. However there is some friction created between the floor pad and the tiles so you do have to use a bit of strength to push it along the floor. Having said that, it is no more difficult to use than a vacuum on carpets.

The pads that were supplied with it did clean the floor really well but I found they did leave a small amount of water residue - nowhere near as much as a mop and to be honest it dried in less than 5 minutes. However, I also purchased a coral washpad 1x Microfibre CORAL Washable Pad Fits H2O H20, VAX S2 & Bionaire Steam Mop - By Zary and that practically dried the floor whilst I was cleaning it.

Just to sum up:

Pros:
* easy to assemble
* easy to use
* well made and feels very good quality
* cleans floor better than mopping
* uses very little water
* no cleaning chemicals required
* sterilises floor
* leaves floor almost instantly dry
* cleans grout between tiles well
* can be used to freshen carpets with attachment supplied
* ergonomic, comfortable handle and relatively easy to push

Cons
* have to wash pads between use
* might need to try different pads to find the one that best suits you
* in hard water area best to use filtered or distilled water
* can burn yourself on the steam if you get your hands near the base plate whilst in use - unlikely to happen