5.0 out of 5 stars Great machine for cappucino and latte machiato lovers
Published on 5 Jun 2012 by Pjegy

1.0 out of 5 stars all lights flashing
i purchased this machine three months ago and probably had about 50cups of coffee from it. at christmas when i had guests around
Published 11 months ago by Mr. G. Pelham

5.0 out of 5 stars Great machine for cappucino and latte machiato lovers, 5 Jun 2012
Pjegy (Zagreb, Croatia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: De'Longhi EC850.M Pump Espresso with Simple Touch Milk Carafe (Kitchen & Home)
After spending over a year trying to find a perfect machine for our coffee mornings, only few models were considered as something that would satisfy us. We were definitely looking for the machine with a milk carafe, so Delonghi was our choice as it is known as a good coffee machine maker company and the reviews were good for all models, and it had good technical specs. We decided to give up on "bean to cup machines" 'cause of their price, and much more complicated cleaning process (coffee goes all the way through the machine). This model was the only pump driven espresso machine with a milk carafe on it (from Delonghi).
The milk used should be directly from the fridge (around 5 degrees) and skimmed, than it gives the best results. The milk carafe is easily cleaned (these is a button on it for cleaning and it is done by the machine itself) after every use and can be put back to fridge. It can be washed in a dishwasher. Temperature of the drinks is right, even without prior nozzle warming (which can be also done), and very hot drink is made. The temperature of coffee brewing can be set to three different ones. You can set amount of liquid for every drink you do, take a machine preset, or program machine to make it your way. It uses E.S.E pods or ground coffee. I prefer E.S.E pods as it is so easy to clean after every use.
It is ready for use after 20sec. for espresso, and 40 sec. for drinks with milk in it. Just the right time to make all the preparation you need.
Some warnings that I realized after starting to use it:
- not all coffee pods are for use with this machine. E.S.E pods are around 45mm in diametar and some pods are up to 60mm. Those bigger ones are for different machines (like Senseo), and only some are OK for this machine. I use these, for example Jacobs Kr%C3%B6nung Crema Mild Coffee and they fit fine.
- cup should not be even one 1mm above 100mm, as it will not fit under. If cup is higher than 85mm, be sure that it's bottom is not more than 65mm in diametar. (I had to buy some new cups, as mine couldn't fit :( )
p.s. i'm a non-native english speaker so sorry for the grammar mistakes. :)

4.0 out of 5 stars high quality results and only £165!!, 8 Oct 2013
S. Sheridan "s.kidd" (UK) - See all my reviews
After scouring seemingly endless reviews of coffee, I kept coming back to this model. I paid £165, which in my opinion is a bargain

Summary of pros and cons:

*Price
*Quality - very similar to more expensive machines
*Versatile - espresso, Americano (just use single coffee measure filter and press the two-cup button), cappuccino, latte (machiatto), frothed milk (good for adding to hot chocolate!) and hot water for teas, infusions, etc.
*customisation - programme coffee and milk volumes to your preference/to accommodate cup size. Also temperature (high/med/low) and water hardness level which dictates descaling frequency
*you can simply press one button and have your coffee ready while you do other things!
*ready quickly (Max 40 seconds after switching on)
*no need to regulate milk froth temperature, automatically produces froth. Choose thick or thin layer.
*easy to clean (even easier if you use ESE pods!)
*milk carafe goes I'm fridge for use again - no need to empty and nozzles etc can be removed/cleaned easily
*comes with descaler and water filter so all you need to get started is ground espresso and milk!
*filters only the water that goes in your cup, which means the filter will last longer
*did I say it makes very good coffee?!

*most annoying thing is the limited cup size (100mm) particularly when using the latte setting. I get round it by using a jug to collect the milk, pour in my latte glass and repeat with the coffee. If there's one thing I could change, this would be it! Not so much an issue with hot water outlet
*it would be nice to add just hot water to coffee, however you can always remove the milk carafe and insert the hot water outlet instead
*temperature could be a little hotter, but at high setting it's enough to let it sit for a few mins. Besides it never sits untouched for long with me...
*as many have said, the instructions aren't the best. But as a novice I managed to get it set up, just take your time.
*drip tray will be scratched, but my advice is to keep the blue covering on as I have if you're concerned.

Some tips:
*the first time I used the hot water outlet, it gave me some yucky brown stuff. Run water through it until it runs clear.
*keep the drip tray film on. It makes it look blue too!
*if you're new to coffee machines, be prepared to waste some milk and coffee before you get the hang of it!
*the delonghi cappuccino glasses are a perfect fit (not the latte ones, they're too big!) and look good too. I had to reprogramme the cappuccino volume so it made a little less
*I tried jersey cow milk and semi skimmed. The semi skimmed makes a more lasting, dense froth and the whole milk gives it a very rich, creamy milky taste with lighter froth. I'd say try both types, very good in different ways

That's about it, suffice to say my trusty tassimo is heading for the darkest corner of the attic. Monin syrups are a great addition if you have a sweet tooth or like me love the seasonal Costa and Starbucks drinks (black forest monin syrup, frothed milk + hot chocolate powder......oooh)

1.0 out of 5 stars all lights flashing, 30 Dec 2013
it decided to stop working and all the lights started to flash, the worst part is that i purchased a second one for my girlfriend which was a christmas present; hers lasted two days.while mine was working it did make a good coffee. i would not advise anyone to purchase this machine as it seems de-longhi have massive reliability problems with this machine. second big mistake was buying it from amazon as after thirty days they do not accept returns. i now have to take both machines to a local repair agent, please dont ignore the bad reviews like i did.

5.0 out of 5 stars Now that I am used to it, it is a joy to use!, 15 Feb 2012
Uncle Barbar (Essex, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
There is no doubt that on unpacking the EC850M coffee maker, it is a truly handsome appliance. It looks great and is well designed with attention to quality and detail. The proportions are right and it will grace any home. It is a nice and compact size for a coffee machine of this build quality. It has an energy Saving Function which is Class A+.

This machine can make cappuccino or latte macchiato. This filter holder is equally suitable for ground coffee and Espresso pods. The Thermoblock heating system means this machine is ready to use in just 40 seconds. The 'Automatic Cappuccino' function allows you to froth milk at the touch of a button. There are illuminated icons to select the desired length, strength and coffee type.

It is an easy machine to use (once you know how) but here the instructions let it down a little. As a novice coffee maker coming from a one switch filter coffee machine this was new territory.

The procedure was not familiar to me, but anyone used to using a more sophisticated machine would probably have little trouble with it, but saying that, they really should cater for all users. I read the instructions which didn't make a lot of sense to me, so I re-read them the following day and tried to familiarize myself with the machine and accessories.

I eventually managed to successfully produce an espresso coffee. I then attempted a cappuccino and that turned out well too. By now I had the hang of it, but it could have been so much more straightforward had the instructions been clearer. This is probably down to the translation from Italian into English.

Simple hints would help: like when inserting the filter for ground coffee, press the filter home into the filter holder until it clicks into place thus making it easier to attach it to the machine. Also the functioning lights diagram could be improved because where it shows lights being on with a circle of rays around an indicator light, this doesn't show up on white paper, so this diagram was not much help when different lights were flashing.

It would also be useful and hygienic when the lid of the milk container is in the dishwasher, to have a separate lid to put on the milk whilst it is in the fridge. Having criticized the instructions, I cannot fault the machine itself.

True coffee lovers will enjoy the preparation of a delicious cup of coffee as much as the drinking of it. Now that I am used to it, it is a joy to use. It makes very good coffee.

I find it easy to clean and, as I have already said, it is beautiful to look at.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cracking machine once set up properly., 22 Aug 2013
Delayed buying a pump driven machine for ages but finally took a punt on this one given the significant price drop from Amazon (50% off). Really pleased with the machine itself, looks very smart and has a small footprint on my work surface. Most parts are stainless steel and seem very well made, some plastics obviously but all seem quite solid enough if cared for (Milk carafe has protruding part which needs care when putting in and out of the fridge) and DeLonghi allow almost all parts to be purchased separately which will surely extend the unit's lifespan. As for in use:
I especially like the ability to program all the different delivery volumes as I prefer my Espresso a little longer and less intense than the standard amounts (I tend to make singles into doubles and doubles into quads by volume). As lazy as it seems, it's also a nice feature to be able to program all drinks to fit what cups you happen to own. I realise all this can be done with a fully manual machine but this way drinks are consistent and you can walk away whilst the machine does it's thing.
Auto milk is the major USP and likely where the majority of the machines cost is tied up so possible not the best value machine at full price if you mainly drink straight coffee. If you enjoy milk based drinks though it's excellent, set to full froth you get a very firm top for Cappuccino and the reduced froth setting is brilliant for Latte. Milk is also delivered piping hot whilst not warming the contents of the milk holder so the carafe can go back in the fridge and milk stays fresh, whilst the auto clean function prevents any sour milk build up inside the pipes.
Hot water is delivered hot enough to brew tea and the unit heats up incredibly quickly thanks to using a thermoblock rather than a conventional boiler, from turning the machine on, it is ready to make coffee before I've filled the portafilter with grounds and found a clean cup.

In summary a great unit at the price I paid and probably worth more if you're a lover of milk based drinks. Looked after it should last well and I couldn't be happier with it.

N.b After a few months with this machine it is still working excellently however I have encountered one minor issue which is easily remedied. The machine uses pressurised filter baskets (This facilitates the use of, often courser, pre-ground coffee), however this involves having 1 very small hole in the bottom of the basket to create back pressure without the need for an ultra fine grind. Occasionally, when using too fine a grind, this tiny hole has become blocked and the machine has been unable to pump through, instead making a 'struggling' noise and not delivering coffee. To remedy this issue I simply emptied the portafilter but left the basket in place and ran a few shots of pure water through an empty filter basket. This cleared the blockage and everything works fine again. Minor and rare obstacle which does not detract from my satisfaction with this machine.

4.0 out of 5 stars half price bargain!, 19 Sep 2013
There was no way I was going to pay in excess of £300 for a coffee maker even though I was yearning for one. I also did not want to get tied into buying expensive brand only pods. So when this machine had a price crash (I paid £150 for mine) I took the plunge. I have had it for a little over a week now and using it a few times each day.

I read reviews on another site that said a lot of the machines had stopped working but apparently some were shipped with the wrong fuse. This may explain that problem.

Plus points:
Quick to warm up.
Water tank is easy to fill.
Looks good.
The milk dispenser is semi self cleaning by pushing and holding a button.
Delivers 1 or 2 cups of espresso
Takes ESE Pods or your ground coffee.
It delivers 'instant' hot water if you want tea
You can adjust the clearance under the nozzle for larger cups other than espresso cups.
Delivers very good quality cappuccino, latte machatio and espresso all without too much fuss or having to learn to be a Barista.
Gets a good crema on your drink

Poorer points
The milk dispenser has a protruding piece of plastic that pushes into the main body. I am worried over time that the constant pushing and pulling out from the body might weaken it and snap. I might be worrying unduly.
The milk has to be kept cold so this does necessitate constantly removing the dispenser to keep in the fridge or refill.
I couldn't find a latte glass that fitted under the nozzle even when adjusting the clearance. Glass cups/mugs are fine.
I had to turn up the heat on the machine to get my drink a little hotter than the standard setting - this was easy enough to do but i still find that I am running my cups under hot water before dispensing (might just be me liking extra hot coffee)

I have played around with mine to try a double espresso in a mug topped up with steamed milk. This isn't automatic as you have to stop the milk flow by pressing the button and then also stop the espresso function. I did this because I find lattes too milky for me and I like to taste my coffee 50/50 with milk.

I also did try making hot chocolate by putting powdered chocolate into a mug and then dispensing milk via the latte function. You then again have to stop the espresso function by pressing the button. This worked reasonably ok but the chocolate needed a good stir to break up the pieces.

One really good point is that Lidls Supermarket sell Coffee Bags (like tea bags). They are not ESE but will push down into the ESE basket. The coffee they deliver is good and they gave 3 types that sell for £1.67 for 18 bags. At less than 10p a cup, I think that is pretty good.

Overall, I am very happy so far with everything. The coffee delivery is good, the half the original price is attractive. It makes good cappuccino and so far I would recommend this. I did take a 'new for old exchange in the shop' insurance on it for 3 years which I think might be prudent longer term.

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic product, 24 July 2012
this is a fantastic coffee maker, quality of the product is really high, so if you looking for good machine choose this one not the cheapest models

5.0 out of 5 stars Great coffee maker, 27 Jun 2013
Makes great coffee and cappuccino also lattes etc.
I would recommend this coffee maker to anyone who does not mind using real ground coffee rather than pods.
You actually save a lot of money by using the real thing ground coffe!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent coffee maker!, 13 Jan 2013
M. Mills (UK) - See all my reviews
I took a long time researching into the right product - it was a Christmas present for my husband. I was looking for a middle price range product that would have great results and keep my husband interested enough so he wouldn't feel the need to go back to instant coffee. This one did not disappoint!

I love the automatic milk frother! It works well, although isn't always consistent. We don't really drink espresso, so I couldn't comment on its quality. When I want americano, I press the single coffee button a few times to rinse the coffee out.

My mum has a fully automatic coffee machine (from bean) and our machine produces coffee at least as good with the added bonus of the automatic milk frother.

I haven't tried it with any pods yet. I have two different ground coffees I use - stronger for my husband and low caffeine for me - both produce great results.

The machine also looks great and isn't too big so fits in well into our kitchen.

Great product & can definitely recomment!

5.0 out of 5 stars Nifty little machine that works well, 4 Sep 2013
First one of these didn't work, so had to get it exchanged which was annoying, but the replacement is excellent and works well.
Its easy to set up, pretty straight forward and so very simple to use, it gives really great results once you get the hang of it.
Its less messy than a standard 'steam' based coffee machine, but this one also has a few niggles worth mentioning.
The most annoying issue is that there is such a small clearance (even with the middle tray down) to fit a glass / cup under the spouts. I can only just get a mug under the hot water spout (i have to tilt it) and i cant get a latte glass under at all. It seems suited for short, wide cups.
The milk carafe is good, but still takes a lot of effort. For example the manual suggests that its best to take the top section off and clean it under water after each use, plus if you only use the machine now and again you have to keep an eye on the milk if storing it in the carafe in case it goes off. Plus it has a little plastic tab on the side that helps seat it into the machine, which I know is going to get broken off at some point when someone chucks something heavy into the fridge next to it.
I also found the drip tray gets scratches all over it so very easy from the bottom of cups.
Maybe i drink a lot of coffee but i always seem to be filling the water tank up again!

But don't get me wrong these are only very minor niggles and I love the machine like my own child.
The coffee tastes great, you can customise the coffee & milk levels.
I use it for hot water for tea now instead of the kettle as its quicker so very versitile.

De'Longhi have released a new version now that is exactly the same but with a heated cup warmer on the top! Seriously who needs a heated cup warmer!! Which means this model is getting harder to get hold of as stocks sell through. Don't waste your money paying twice as much for a heated cup holder on the new model when this will do exactly the same but for half the price.

What would make it better? Ditch the carafe and change it to a small pipe that can be put straight into the milk bottle - less hassle and fuss. Make the clearance between the tray and head much bigger so lattes can actually go into a latte glass plus the tray wont get as scratched trying to slide cups underneath. Make the drop down tray wider so a wide bottomed cappuccino cup actually sits level and not wobbles about.