Format: DVD|Change

on 10 February 2011
I'm not sure what the other reviewer of this programme was watching but this is not a five star programme but a cynical attempt to cash in on the popularity of The Kings Speech by taking an existing documentary and making out it is relevant. The programme features all archive content with no real storyline and mixes events and timelines up making no sense whatsoever. If you are hoping to find out something of the man who was King George VI then don't waste your money on an ill-conceived and poorly thought out programme, there is nothing about the King's speaking in public on this DVD despite its long-winded title Shame on IMC Vision whoever they are for putting out this rubbish. I was surprised that the other reviewer AliBahBah commented on how poor some of the footage was and yet still gave it a five star review. However, I then searched AliBahBah's other reviews and surprise surprise, he/she gives five stars to a sackful of DVD's that just happen to be IMC Vision products. Come on Amazon, stop these companies posting false five star reviews on their own products - it's despicable.
on 28 April 2011
This is an excellent account of one of the great modern romances played out under such pressure in those trouble times. You cannot but help to be a bit sad that all these two people wanted was a Quiet family life but events forced them into a different role But Boy they did a great job. This is a must have item for all dedicated Royalty fans like me.
Excellent film. Glad I read the book first. The parts were well played and gave an insight to the Queens father and mother that shows them just like another couple, helping the other overcome a problem. Arrived promptly, well packaged and in excellent condition.
on 12 March 2011
Reading some of the other reviews i think this dvd has been poorly judged by some, especially faulting it on not focussing on the King's speech impediment and misleading title and cover. As the title 'King George VI & Elizabeth - A Royal Love Story' suggests this dvd looks at the relationship between the king Geoerge and Elizabeth, featuring a good source of archive footage. After watching the kings speech I, like many other reviewers it seems, wanted to find out more about this era and found this to be a great source of information and intersting footage.

Great little documentary, would reccomend to anyone like me who wanted to know more about the Kings life
on 27 March 2013
... but not exceptional. Its main advantage is the huge amount of original footages from the period but the soundtrack and the narrating voice are not particularly compelling, and I even noticed a couple of historical mistakes.
Anyway it still works as an introduction to the theme.
on 27 May 2011
The King's Speech got me interested and the real story shown in this DVD was just as moving. True devotion from a couple who were so good for each other. Heartwarming.
on 18 February 2011
I am going to see The Kings Speech with a couple of friends on Tuesday and I wanted to know a bit of back story about the king and family.
I now feel really sure that I'll be able to answer any questions my friends ask me at the cinema and am certain that I'll understand the background as well.
And for those who are stating that it's not about the kings speech problems, but instead about his relationship with the queen mother well what did you expect from a film entitled "King George VI & Elizabeth - A Royal Love Story" there is no false advertising there, and if you're only interested in his speech problems and not the man himself then buy a film entitled "King George VI and His Speech Impediment"
Seriously if you're only interested in him because of that then that just like obsessing over a band for one album they released and have never listened to any of their other music.
on 19 April 2011
Although I have many of the scenes on Discovery or the History Channel, it was great and sometimes touching to know more about them and the times.
on 17 February 2011
I recently watched The Kings Speech at the cinema and really enjoyed it. I wanted to know more about the story of King George VI and found this DVD on Amazon. It's really interesting, especially seeing actual archive footage of King George VI speaking. I would highly recommend it.
on 6 April 2013
Just lovely. He was always my favourite monarch and I bless the woman who loved and cared for him. It is a lovely story and I recommend it.