Size: One Size|Colour: Red/Silver|Change
Price:£54.95 - £95.99

on 1 April 2015
Love this fitness watch. It's great for all types of fitness levels. I do a lot of power walking and was surprised to find I could easily burn off 300+ calories just by doing 40 mins walking. The strap doesn't bother me and at times I don't realise it's there. If you wanted to transfer your data onto your PC you need to buy a syncing device-I personally think you don't need it as the watch stores a great deal of information. It will store 99 workouts and will calculate how many calories you have burned over the day and how many of those were improving your fitness levels and how many of those were fat burning. Would really recommend this product-infact I already have to a friend.
review image
on 7 December 2015
I bought this for general cross training including circuits and spin classes, outdoor running (didn't need GPS) and BodyPump/weights sessions. I wanted to see how hard I was working and whether I was predominantly improving my fitness or fat burning. This information was to help me plan my sessions across the week and set/meet my fitness goals.

I chose Polar because the brand was recommended by a fitness trainer who is very experienced in Heart Rate training.

On the plus side: The Heart Rate Monitor watch unit is very easy to use and interpret. The band fits comfortably round my chest and the results seem very accurate (I compare with other gym users!). It's discreet to wear and the watch looks good outwith the gym.

If that was all, the product would get a 5 star review. However the big problem is the synchronisation with PolarPersonalTrainer. I could not get the Polar WebSync to download to my macbook despite meeting all the system requirements. I also tried it on an iMac, a PC laptop, contacted Polar support and enlisted the help of a specialist Mac IT contractor - no joy (although Polar support was helpful they wanted to remote access my computer and I didn't want to do this). In the end I bought a cheap tablet running Windows 10 and managed to upload my data from the watch to the PolarPersonalTrainer site. This is not without its headaches as the software is not optimised for tablets so keyboards etc don't appear when logging in, meaning I have to cut and paste information from another document. I then log into the website on a laptop or other computer.

Which leads me onto point 2: the PolarPersonalTrainer service. The set-up is relatively straightforward but the whole site could do with an upgrade. It's very utility - few instructions to get the most out of your training, fitness/fat burning zone breakdowns but no key telling you which is which, no real guidance on how to create reports. There's a push towards joining a Polar community and I could see the benefit but the very basic is that you should be able to upload and interpret your results easily.

So... do your research to find out how compatible the Polar Websync system will be with your current IT set-up and be prepared to spend a bit of time setting up your data and getting to know the system. Knowing what I now know I would never have chosen Polar, particularly with Apple computers.
on 13 January 2015
This is my first heart rate monitor and I'm very happy with it. I don't usually wear a watch but I'm happy to wear this all the time, even when I'm not out walking or running. The watch is very modern and the design is very good, especially the strap which has very close eye holes which makes it easy to get a good fit on your wrist.

The watch is very easy to use and the heart monitor is comfortable once you get used to it, there are no problems when changing the batteries in both just simply use a coin to twist open the back of the watch and pop the back off the monitor (unlike some others like the Garmin which you have to unscrew). Both are waterproof up to 30m.

The biggest reason to buy this is the fantastic Fat Burn/Fitness indicator which really pushes you to stay in the right cardio zone, it is excellent for those of us who just want to loose a few pounds one day and work on our fitness another. This has been the biggest help for me as I've progressed from a beginner to running.
on 30 March 2015
I had the FT1 and I decided to buy a newer version hoping that the accuracy would be better. For that reason I chose the latest version, however I am quite disappointed with it. I must point out I was interested in a consistent and accurate heart rate monitor. Having said this, the watch does not have much extra functionality (compared with FT1).

My main concern is that sometimes the heart rate gets stuck in a very high number (unrealistic number) and it would not recover the real heart rate until I move the strap... this means my maximum and average heart rate after the exercise are not realistic. Also the way it counts calories is wrong, it is usually twice as much as the values provided by the gym machines or the typical values... in that sense you can just halve it every time to get an estimate of the calories burned.

One positive thing is that the strap is quite comfortable.
on 26 February 2014
This product didn't satisfy me on a number of levels.
The first is the fact that you needed to buy an additional bit of kit to download the results to the PC and then the web. So really it's another £40 more expensive....

The second big failure for me was the data collected. While the watch shows your heart rate and zone information, I had assumed (wrongly) that it stored your heart rate throughout a session and that this could be viewed once you downloaded it.

It only downloads the averages which may be vaguely interesting but doesn't allow you to point to a particular drill that was causing un-needed stress.

Thirdly, the controls and display aren't really suitable for viewing actually while exercising as they are too small and it seems reasonably easy to pause a recording by accident...

As I bought this to aid swimming training, the feedback below may not be appropriate to runners or gym workers, but, anyway, the strap round the chest doesn't stay up and needs to be on the edge of "too tight" before it'll stay there for a session.

The only reason, I gave it a 2 star rather than a 1 star is that, with a basic workout, it performs it's limited functions reasonably well, and it's not a heavy clunky watch, it looks and feels light on your wrist.

All in all, I'd recommend spending a bit more money (like I'm going to do) and getting a slightly more useful training tool.

PS anyone wanting to buy a used FT7M?
on 1 March 2013
Having tired of borrowing my wife's Black/Silver FT7 and having to re-enter the user information every time we swapped, I decided to buy a Black/Gold FT7. When it arrived we quickly realised that the watch strap on the Black/Gold FT7 is narrower and slightly shorter than the Black/Silver model so we have now swapped as my wife is smaller than me and the Black/Gold is a better fit for her. The F on the end of the precise model number that shows when you order should have been the giveaway (the Black/Silver ends with M). Looking at the Amazon images, I suspect that the Red model is the same size as the Black/Gold and the Black/Red is the same size as the Black/Silver.
Both our monitors came with a M to XXL sized soft strap for your chest. We ordered separately a XS to S sized soft strap via Amazon and this is a better fit for my wife as it fits chest sizes up to around 28 inches, whereas the supplied M to XXL soft strap has a minimum size of about 28 inches.
This is perfect for the job it is intended!

It has some good features, including:
* the zone you are in whilst training (good to know, depending what your aims are whether it be fitness or fat burning etc)
* calories
* a storage system of you past training / workouts (which means you can see the improvement you have made over a period of time)
* you can sync with the fitness machines at the gym (lots do use the polar system - probably worth checking if this is an important function for you)

This is a pretty basic machine in that you don't get GPS info or distance etc. But if you are looking at getting fitter or maintaining fitness, it is a really good tool. It is ideal in the gym, which is my main purpose for it. It is fairly light and looks good.

Recommended
on 3 February 2015
As a heart rate monitor I can't really fault it. The three stars is because the screen is virtually impossible to read whilst exercising and in anything other than good light. I wish I had gone for a different colour although this one does look awesome and I only intend to use at the gym on the exercise equipment or to record activity. Another thing I feel Polar rip the customer off by charging so much for the device to down load the information I've just bought a Garmin GPS and apart from downloading the relevant app everything is provided. Polar get customer friendly.
on 12 May 2014
Great hrm with comfortable chest strap. The controls and display are simple to use and clear. I use this watch now as my day to day watch also but have found that the metal clasp on the watch strap sits a little high and can cut into your wrist a little but loosen the strap a notch and you're all good.

The hrm and sensor strap are so sensitive that I don't even have to wet it for it to start sensing my heartbeat, top job!
on 22 September 2014
Whilst the monitor functions well, it is badly let down by the poor display & virtually none existent backlight, which makes it very difficult to read.