5.0 out of 5 stars the healing dog, 23 Jan 2011
L.Emerson "lisanz444" (Palmerston North, New Zealand) - See all my reviews
This review is from: WHISPERS IN MY EAR (Kindle Edition)
I have just finished reading this charming book. The stories of the children in this book are often tragic, and the author presents them simply, often through the voices of the children themselves,which gives them added impact. I found myself often angry at the things these young children were coping with - and full of admiration for the counsellor who puzzled over the situations and gently led the children to solutions they could live with. Yet the book is not heavy - there is so much humour in the way the children deal with things, and a real honesty in the way the counsellor examines her own life for echoes of these young lives. The real heroine of the book, though, is Lola, who goes from hearing dog to healing dog - the moments when she reached out for the children were heart stopping. I found much to learn in this book - as someone with two young children approaching the teenage years I found myself noting some of the useful attitudes and approaches of the counsellor. I recommend this book to parents and anyone working with young children - or anyone who loves dogs! I hope the author is planning the sequel to this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars 'Whispers in my ear' shouts to be read, 13 Jan 2011
This review is from: WHISPERS IN MY EAR (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed this book, it is such an eye-opener about the problems youngsters go through today as told to their counsellor (the author Jill Knowles). Some of the stories made me really gulp, especially the story of the blind girl Carole and her sad, tragic life and others made me feel angry when I read how some children have to cope with so much so young. I would recommend this book to parents of children of all ages, as the stories cover both primary and secondary school aged children. It would also appeal to people who work with children - as it gives lots of insight into what is going on behind 'bad behaviour' as well as plenty of tips and ideas of how to help young people cope. Although I felt emotional, it wasn't heavy going at all and parts of the children's stories actually made me laugh out loud, due to the way the author has captured the actual language used and way of speaking! Altogether a very different and entertaining read.

5.0 out of 5 stars whispers in my ear, 17 Mar 2011
This review is from: WHISPERS IN MY EAR (Kindle Edition)
I thoroughly enjoyed Jill Knowles book, even though it brought tears to my eyes on several occasions. It exposed so clearly the need for councillors like Jill in our schools to help these children through tough times in their lives. She writes clearly and simply but with a directness that makes each experience so poignant. Being deaf myself I was fascinated by Lola her wonderful hearing dog and the roll she plays in Jill's life at home and with the children she helps. It was a heart-warming book, well done Jill.

5.0 out of 5 stars something for everyone, 16 Feb 2011
S. W. Johnson (Weybridge, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: WHISPERS IN MY EAR (Kindle Edition)
This book is funny, charming, insightful, touching, sometimes whimsical and sometimes poignant. Most of all it gives us a privileged insight into the lives of young people who have a wide variety of very common problems and needs. I smiled and I cried at different points. I would recommend this book to any and every teacher, parent, counsellor, young person or dog-lover who is interested in finding out what goes on beneath the surface and how brave and resourceful young people can be. Although this is a book about counselling it is very strongly a book about hope and triumphs.

WHISPERS IN MY EAR