5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 30 Sep 2011
This book reminded me of the The Help by Kathryn Stockett, the backdrop is similar but its a much sadder tale. Sad but not depressing, it leaves the reader with a great feeling of hope for the future. I finished it a few days ago and I am still thinking about Juby & Mary, their friendship, their compassion and their ability like dislikeable people and live in intolerable situations with great dignity. Judy, the daughter of an alcoholic, violent father & and indifferent mother. And Mary the families black maid. It is set in the segregated South of the 1950's. Mayhew manages to say allot with few words, I particularly liked the way the last sentence of every chapter was subtle but loaded. This book took 18 years from conception to completion, lets hope we don't have to wait that long for Mayhew's next book. Wonderful writer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Insights into a different (but not too distant) world, 10 July 2011
This a gripping tale, masterfully told, about Juby, a 13-year-old white girl from North Carolina who comes to grips with the cruel realities of segregation in 1954 and with her parents' disintegrating marriage. I liked the characters, especially Juby and the family's black housekeeper, Mary, and also Taylor and Mama; the sense of place & period (and this will be instructive for those, such as myself, who never experienced daily life under segregation); and the deft way (in the first part of the book) the author moves back and forth from the present (the beach trip) to the recent past (at home) to flesh out the story. And the writing is excellent throughout. I never felt any word was wasted. If I have any complaint, it might be that certain dramatic events at the end of the book came as a surprise and didn't have the emotional impact the author must have intended. But this is me reacting, one reader amongst many. The rest of the book -- the first two-thirds -- was thrilling. I look forward to Mayhew's next!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent., 6 July 2013
This has been my favourite book this year. I read it in two days. I felt I was actually on the journey with them. A very sad story, that had me in tears at one point. If you like Southern stories, don't miss this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 23 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Dry Grass of August (Kindle Edition)
A great book! The characters were drawn sympathetically and I cared about what happened to most of them. It was not mawkish and difficult issues were not avoided. I think this would appeal to those who appreciate skilful writing, especially those who have an interest in the issues raised.

4.0 out of 5 stars Paints a wonderful picture with words, 6 July 2013
lianne coates (Bangor, Down United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Dry Grass of August (Kindle Edition)
This was a great read and it was interesting that it was told from a younger girl's perspective as she had a nieve insight at times. I was hard to read in some parts and the overt racism of the time in some small minded people was greatly captured but what was captured even better was the standard acceptance of minorities position in society and how through the loving eyes of a child you could see a more hopefully future.

The Dry Grass of August