on 15 September 2012
I was on a nostalgia trip recently and couldn't resist this double pack, although I still have these on vinyl I don't have a turntable at present. The 2nd album was always my favourite of the two because of the stories within the songs. Well having not heard this stuff in 20yrs+ I was amazed at how listenable it all still is and the audio is great too, not at all muddy or flat. The guitar work is really far far better than I recalled, they were a tight band full stop and already had plenty of form before they formed Generation X. With hindsight and some growing up to reflect upon I hear so many new things in these two albums that I just couldn't have appreciated at the time. There's a spot of 60s' pop influence in there that I never heard before. I always loved their cover of Shakin' all over, a b-side, and it is reproduced fantastically too; me and my daughters were all jumping around to it.

The innovators of punk always had more to offer than the 2nd wave of punk in my opinion. Generation X were always about a bit of glam and swagger, unlike the majority of 2nd-wave bands that followed. Pints and pints of beer and wearing a mohican does not a punk make. Generation X were there at the beginning and don't get the credit they deserve, folks always remember the Pistols and the Clash (who I also like).

At this price you could test my theory.
on 2 July 2015