5.0 out of 5 stars Best SciFi I've read for a long time
I was surfing through the Kindle free books, looking for new authors trying to attract readers, as I have found some real gems this way. I was being careful to read the reviews as I have also found some dross this way too. The reviews attracted me to this one - and I am so glad!! I read a lot of sci-fi when I was younger, when you had to be good to get published, so I...
Published 18 months ago by Bookworm

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, but too much war.
Books are really a matter of personal taste, so I am always reluctant to give book reviews. However, I am a long-time reader of 'hard' sci-fi rather than pure fantasy. Although this book had an interesting and well-written plot, the story-line of what seemed like constant war and fighting didn't appeal -hence the 3 stars. If humans v aliens fighting is to your...
Published 16 months ago by CelticJanne

‹ Previous | 1 2 328 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars great idea, 17 Jan 2013
This review is from: First Contact (The Last War Trilogy, Book 1) (In Her Name) (Kindle Edition)
was a really interesting book , cant wait to read next book. the idea is very clever and original.really enjoyed it

5.0 out of 5 stars When quality is affordable, 13 Jan 2013
A free book? no, it is a gift, a precious one.

The marketing makes the series easily identifiable among the crowd, the idea is realy good.

The book is great. Do not miss it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Science Fiction!, 12 Jan 2013
I have had my Kindle just over a year now and, except for 2 books, I have only downloaded free books and have been using this method to sample new authors in the genres I like best, science fiction and crime. Once finishing a book I then select one of my categories at random and select a book at random a bit like closing your eyes and pointing at a page in a book. I have so far had some good reads and some not so good.
I started reading this book over a week ago and was instantly transported back to my childhood when aged about 10 I would hide under the covers with a torch to read the latest science fiction book, either bought from second hand markets or borrowed from the library. I have in my time read all the classic sci fi authors, Harry Harrison, Edgar Rice Burroughs, Asimov, Andre Norton and many many others and I know what I like and what I don't like!
This is in my opinion true sci fi pure and unadulterated. Intrepid human explorers reaching out to the farthest ends of the galaxy, advanced alien races, scary space battle and plucky heroes. Having not downloaded it for free, I would readily have paid for this book and although I havent got more than a third through it I am checking to make sure I have the sequels downloaded to read next, instead of following my usual selection method.
It is also well written, just enough technical jargon but mostly what jumps from the pages is adventure, suspense and excitement that feeling that you cant wait to read what happens next. It is only discipline and a tendency to fall asleep more easily in my 50s than when a child that means I havent done, as I used to, read through the night to finish it. Instead snatched moments and a recent train journey have had to suffice.
One of my criteria for knowing if a book is good or not is if, once putting it down, I continue to think of it over the next few hours. With this book I do just that, wondering what is going to happen next and when I can fit in the next few chapters.
If , like me, you are old school and you too remember scanning second hand book stalls for good science fiction adventure stories then i think you will love this.

5.0 out of 5 stars An all action read, 6 Jan 2013
An excellent read, with plenty of characters coming and going or being killed. The concept of the alien race is an interesting one. The science is great, plausible, and fails most current laws of physics. A good space opera. How the human race will ever win against this advanced civilisation, and his book gives a new meaning to civilised, will be very interesting. For the purist there are a few odd typo's and punctuation errors. Still as its SI Fi they could be OK in the future.
A well priced book providing excellent light entertainment.

5.0 out of 5 stars At last. A SC FI saga worth reading onwards. Eager for book 2., 1 Jan 2013
Enjoyed immensely. The story and the characters have depth. I could not put this book down and did not want the story to end; it doesn't. Diving in to the entire series of books written by this master.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Science Fiction story, 31 Dec 2012
I used to be an avid science fiction reader but have stopped for about 20 years. I read the reviews and decided to start reading Sci-fi again and I am glad this writer decided to start again on this series of books at the beginning because to me that makes sense. This is a good read and I will continue with the series.

4.0 out of 5 stars Unique, 23 Dec 2012
J. Skaife - See all my reviews
I have never enjoyed the sort of blow-by-blow battle narrative that dominates this book but I was, for once, caught-up completely in this.

The battle descriptions are truly epic, without hint a desire hurry it along to an more timely end but what saves it is that one is routing for both sides. One feels both pain and elation in every loss and every victory.

There are poor aspects: even the sketchy human history feels like every word is wasted and the use of made-up alien words is annoying - but these a not reasons to dislike the whole.

It's hard to see how the writer could keep this up; I can't imagine putting up with another epic battle or caring for more characters (which are very well drawn but at some cost to pace).

This is a good read in itself and a unique phenomenon for creating deep but bilateral feelings of loyalty.

5.0 out of 5 stars Old school sci-fi, 20 Dec 2012
An excellent book that is really hard to put down. Good story, interesting characters and well written. Will certainly buy the other books in the series.

3.0 out of 5 stars First Contact, 16 Dec 2012
Mr. Henry Y. Jones "CymruHarry" (Swansea S Wales) - See all my reviews
An enjoyable read, with some novel ideas. Looking forward to volume 2. One point though it does pander to the American market. American political system, and American views on the world transferred to outer space.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Gripping Read, 11 Dec 2012
From the very first page this book had me gripped and unable to put it down. The author has a great writing style and the plot is very nearly faultless.
One word of caution: by getting this book (which is free!) you will want to get the rest of the 'In Her Name' series!

‹ Previous | 1 2 328 | Next ›