Showing 1-10 of 2,011 reviews(5 star). Show all reviews
on 4 September 2011
Great product, but BEWARE...

When pairing two adapters, only hold the button down for between 3 and 8 seconds, then let go (I counted to five). The power light on the front will then flash.

Don't do what I did, and hold the button until the lights flashed, then let go. This is too long (about 12 seconds) and the pairing will not work.

Lastly, if you are 'pairing' three (or more) adaptors, make sure they are in very close proximity, just during the pairing process. If you don't get to the third adaptor within a couple of seconds of the first two to pair it, you'll never get all three communicating.
4646 comments|592 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 July 2011
At the time of writing this is the cheapest Homeplug pair in the market.

Easy to set up and very reliable. The product description states that it can transmit up to a distance of 300 m. I previously could not get wireless broadband coverage into my garden office; this pair of TP Links has done the job perfectly.

Please note that this comes with 2 ethernet cables (1 m length) so no need to buy separate cables (...as i did!).
1010 comments|517 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 April 2012
Update having added another pair to extend the network....

WHEN I got them working, again excellent but to get them working!!!

Covered in other reviews but it appeared I also had different firmware versions so...
Download the latest firmware from the TP-Link website[...] and save them on your computer.
Launch the TP-Link Management utility (Note: the latest version refused to recognise any of my adaptors so I used the older version)

In turn with each one (so I had 4 now).
Plug into power and connect it to the computer running the management utility.
When it is detected, find and load the latest firmware (2 files previously saved onto your computer) - takes a minute or so.
After this RESET the device and accept the warning - takes 10-20 seconds.
When done, unplug that one and do the next until all are done. At least now they are all at the same level of firmware.

Pairing (Not sure if it's the most efficient but worked for me).

Plug the main adaptor into the power and connect it to the router - give it a minute to find the signal.

Now press the pairing button for about 5 seconds (no longer than 8 or you'll reset it!)

Plug 1 of the other 3 in, let it settle for a few seconds and press the paring button on this again for about 5 seconds.
Note you should do the pairing within 2 minutes or it resets so it helps to have them relatively close to each other.

After 30-40 seconds of flashing they pair.

Now plug the next one in - pair again with the main adaptor. Same routine, then the last one.

Once they are paired it seems you can unplug them and swap them around and they will find each other again happily enough. All 3 "slaves" now work fine with video streaming t 3 different connected devices (actually 3 different films from LoveFilm) and all work fine.

Hope this helps.

_______________________________________________

I tried this as the wireless coverage through the house can be patchy, especially for streaming video and the like where pausing / buffering gets to be a pain.
Looking at various options I decided that technically (once they worked) most people rated these highly.
It's also the 3rd TP-Link product I have purchased and am becoming something of a fan as they offer good value for money although technical backup can a problem if needed.
Anyway, prepared to do all the fixes required to get these going but needn't have bothered.
Plugged both in, connected internet cable to both ends, pressed the pair buttons and 30 seconds later that was it. Performance via a speed test went from around 2 MBps to over 8 MBps - basically from just about (or not) being able to stream video to easily and consistently being able to, exactly what I wanted.
I'll give it a month to see how they perform but intend to get more of these for the internet TV's etc.
For the price, an excellent solution in my case and highly recommended.
on 24 April 2012
TP-Link TL-PA211KIT 200Mbps Mini Powerline Ethernet Adapter - Twin Pack

I have four of these devices. They were delivered to time and worked first time as specified, hence the rating.
I installed them as replacement for a home wireless network which proved unreliable due to attenuation by walls etc.

I have carried out two simple speed tests by sending a large file (about 5GB) by 'copy and paste' from a Windows 7 desktop to a Windows XP laptop, on two different ring mains, joined at the consumer unit. The TP-Link unit at the Windows 7 computer end is connected via a Cisco SG100D-08 8-Port Gigabit switch.

The results were:
File size 5361925 kB

Via the TP-Link kit over the mains:
Time to transfer: 11m 51s
Transfer speed File size/time: 7.54 MB/s
Network speed displayed by Windows Task Manager: 6.75% of 1Gbps
Ditto in Bytes/sec based on 8 bit Bytes: 8.44 MB/s
Transfer speed displayed in the copy window: about 7.25 MB/s

By direct connection to the Cisco switch:
Time to transfer: 8m 18s
Transfer speed File size/time: 10.77 MB/s
Network speed displayed by Windows Task Manager: 9.85% of 1Gbps
Ditto in Bytes/sec based on 8 bit bytes: 12.31 MB/s
Transfer speed displayed in the copy window: about 10.5 MB/s

The actual file transfer speed via the TP-Link kit was about 70% of that by direct connection.

The transfer as displayed by Windows Task Manager was more or less continuous but with downward spikes of speed, sometimes to zero. I attribute these to the Window operating system 'copy and paste' housekeeping. There were also small discrepancies between displayed Network speed and the actual average file transfer speed, possibly also due to overheads.

The speed displayed by the TL-PA211 Powerline Utility bore no relation to these speeds during this test. The TP-LINK user guide says that it "Shows the current transmission rate of the selected Mini Powerline Adapter". I am not sure what it actually measures but it is certainly not the instantaneous or average speed of current transfers. It stayed at or about 188 Mbps before, during and after transfer.

The "Enter Password" section in the TP-LINK user guide is obscure. It tells you exactly how to change the password which it says is found on each device or packaging but does not tell you why to do it or what happens if you don't. I have found out 'the hard way' that you need to enter them in order to make use of the Privacy configuration facility.

Similarly the in-built protection against eavesdropping is also not explained.
This set is a simple, secure and elegant solution to a common problem these days. Suffering from a slow and patchy wireless signal on my PS3 which I use for iPlayer and ITV Player etc I invested in a set of these. Ordered Saturday night - delivered Monday morning. Cheers amazon :o)

Set up is breathtakingly simple. Plug either unit into an electrical socket near the router and connect one of the two supplied ethernet cables into a spare port on it (your router will need to be a multi-port device). Do the same with the second unit where it is to be used. Press the button on one for 5 seconds and you then have 2 minutes to do the same on the second. I didn't bother looking for lights to flash on or off - when I checked the internet connection on my PS3 it said the magic word "wired" and I was good to go with a download speed equivalent to that on my PC which is sat next to the router itself upstairs. Job (easily) done.

It's worth noting that it is recommended not to use an extension lead socket as this will reduce the transfer speed but this is only relevant if you are e.g. streaming between NAS and a PC etc. As I'm just using it for the internet connection to my PS3 or possibly my Freesat box then it's not really an issue but I will get the socket doubled up next time my electrician mate comes round to drink my beer ;o)

The plugs themselves are smaller than anticipated and although hardly a design classic they are fairly discreet. With the option of adding a third or fourth even (they are available singly for the equivalent price) I am very pleased with my purchase.
on 17 January 2012
Following the other good reviews on this product, I decided to bite the bullet and order this one. I was creating a new desk in my bedroom, and needed an ethernet connection for a VOIP telephone as well as a network printer and possibly or my MacBook Pro. I had heard about the possibility of using the power sockets to use the internet and eventually decided to go for it.

For £35 I was very pleased. Excellent packaging, the design of the box was very good - all recyclable. It even comes with 2 ethernet leads as well which is nice.

Setup was so simple - just follow the instructions and you can't go wrong. Our router is downstairs - and as with everything the power comes from a 6 way surge extension lead with many double adapters! I first put the Powerline adapter in a spare socket on the extension lead. Connected it to our BT Home Hub 3, and plugged the second adapter in to the wall socket in the bedroom. Did the 'pairing' sequence, holding the button in for about 5 seconds, and let go, the lights flash and then I did the second one. Within another minute I connected the MacBook and I had internet!

I did a speed test using the Powerline - and it came out about 18mbps - however when using the wireless signal it was 37mbps - so, I removed the first Powerline adapter from the over crowded extension lead, and put it directly in the wall socket and hey presto! My next speed test was up at 37mbps!

So, overall, a great product. Nicely packaged, simple instructions and no compromise on speed if you use direct wall sockets! (It will still work through extension leads - but just gives you a slower speed).

I have got this working alongside a TP Link Switch TP-Link 5-Port 10/100 Unmanaged Mini Desktop Switch (TL-SF1005D) Plastic Case so I can have more than one ethernet device from the one Powerline adapter in the bedroom. Got a great little network going now!

It's amazing how you can just use your mains network for your internet too! Very clever, and very simple to get going. Obviously this is the first day I have used it, so at present, I cannot comment on the durability of the product. However, seeing as though it has a 3 year warranty on the box - I imagine this should last a while! :)
on 10 October 2011
So I have been living in a caravan in my parents back garden for about 6 months now, and I have been getting seriously ANGRY that I cant play my Ps3 online because the Wireless Signal is being blocked from the house (appart from the weak signal I am currently using from a secluded spot in the corner for my laptop).

I then come across these bad-boys and I wait for them to arrive. Sure enough this Saturday they turn up and I instantly take the two plugs out of their box, plug one into the wall in the house and connect the (SUPPLIED) LAN Cable from the plug to the Router.
Wander out into the back garden and into my Caravan(which is hooked up to the same mains supply as the house) and plug in the seccond (identical) plug and then connect the other (supplied) LAN cable from that plug to my Playstation3.

Turn on my Ps3 and BLAM I am online, no fiddling no Wireless CODES just straight online with no problems no questions and no fiddly bits. Download the updates needed in mere secconds and straight online on Call of Duty Black Ops...with a full connection and ofcourse getting a Team Deathmatch score of 26 kills and 5 deaths after a slow start but baby I still got it.
Now I have FIFA 12 and allsorts of other ONLINE capeable games.

To summarise: This product is fantastic, its worth every penny and it saves you having one big LAN wire hooking all over your house for when you cant quite reach the wireless internet very strongly.
The 2 Wires needed are provided.
And the strength of the connection is 100%
It takes mere secconds to set up and does not require installing software or ANYTHING...there is a small button on each plug and when you plug it in you click that and that is all...job done start using your internet!
on 21 October 2011
I am normally not very impressed by much technology but this time.... I am!!!
My problem was: my ipad could hardly connect to the wireless in some areas at home and i ended up spending a fortune connecting via mobile broadband.
I searched for a cost effective option and came to read about this product.
It was delivered 10 minutes ago.
I plugged one in the mains and an ethernet cable in the ethernet socket of my virgin media hub (a cable is provided but not long enough but I had a longer spare)
I pressed the "pair button" counting to 5
Rushed to where i wanted to plug the secong adapter (you must pair within 2 minutes of pressing the first "pair" button).
Plugged it in,pressed the "pair" button on that second adapter.
I then plugged the ethernet cable in the ethernet socket of and old BT wireless router and kept my fingers crossed for 2 minutes!
All the lights went on, my ipad picked the new wireless connection, i entered the security key of the bt hub... and it all worked!!!
Did not even use the set disc.
I am now on my laptop.I get a wireless connection between 40 and 50mb in the living room wireless (were the virgin media hub is). I am in the bedroom where I would normally not get any signal (or a very weak signal)and am connected to the BT hub and tested for speed of 47mb download and 4mb upload!!!!
My ipad has full signal.... and I used extensions leads to plug the adaptor even though the manual says it should not be done!
Cheap, easy, perfect!
on 18 May 2012
I bought 4 of these to replace my ageing Devolo 85Mb powerline devices , which were cripplingly slow.

Installation is simple (I followed advice on here and went to their website) - plug in the 1st two devices, near each other for simplicity, then press the button on one for about 5 seconds, release, do the same to the other, wait 10 seconds and all is done! Then to add the 3rd I plugged it in, pressed it's button for 5 seconds, then pressed the button on one of the existing ones for 5 seconds. Then repeated this process for the 4th.

There is no real need to install their software utility but I did so I could see the connection speeds. I'm getting around "100Mb" to a "quiet" (lightly used) socket in my dining room (master unit is in a cupboard in my hallway where my ADSL router is). On the other side of the room, not very far away, I get around "50Mb" - I'm assuming this is because this is where my PC is plugged in, along with speakers and screen - so it is a "noisy" socket. Upstairs some distance away I get 100Mb. If I plug the units in right next to each other I get around "180Mb" connection. Pointless but an interesting test :-)

Bear in mind all these figues should be halved if you are comparing them to normal LAN Ethernet ports / switches - as normal network gear specifies the speed in full duplex (both directions). So when you buy a router with a 100Mb port, it's really 100Mb upload and 100Mb download, at the same time. It's called 100Mb out of simplicity (and honesty) but clearly TP-Link (and all the other manufacturers of powerline products) try to "big up" their speeds by quoting the total speed of both directions (100Mb up, + 100Mb down = 200Mb!!). So when the utility says you are getting, say, 80Mb, in real terms this is a 40Mb full duplex connection.

This also explains how they can have a "200Mb" device that only has a 100Mb network port on it! :-)

I've tested real data throughput, and regardless of their way of doing the numbers, these are indeed a huge step up in performance over the older 85Mb powerline adapters.

I test copied a 6gb file to my desktop PC from a network disk attached to my router. These are the transfer rates as reported by Window 7:

Old 85Mb Devolo Powerline adapter - 700Kb per second (slooooooow)
New TP-Link AV200 Powerline adapter-2.2Mb per second (2,200Kb per second - three times faster) thats with the AV200's connecting as a measily 50Mb
802.11g (54Mbps) Wifi adapter - 2.6Mb per second - I'm leaving my desk on Wifi :-)

Overall very pleased with the product - I use them for network extensions that are not very speed dependent - one I used to plug in a 2nd WiFi access point to extend my wifi (anything faster than my ADSL of 20Mb is good enough), another I use to feed the network to my Sonos music system which just streams MP3 files.
on 21 June 2012
Eventually got this working and it is fantastic!
However initially had no end of trouble trying to get it working, the adapter was consistently getting a 169 ip address allocated to it. After much testing by relocating plug sockets and assigning static IP address etc I eventually established that one of the network cables provided was faulty. It had a kink in it which was stopping it from working. I established this by replacing it with another network cable I had in the house, as soon as I did this it burst into life.

If you are having issues check the cables that come in the box with the product. If you just have 2 of the plug sockets there is no need to pair the devices by pushing the button. Also it does work with power extension bars as I am using this setup. In theory if my cable wasn't faulty this would've worked straight away upon unpacking it, it is literally "plug n play" which is great for non technical people.

Basically you unpack the devices attach the network cables, plug first device into socket and connect cable to router, wait for 3 green lights. Plug the second device into socket and attach to RJ45 network socket on device i.e. laptop, xbox or satellite box using cable and wait for green lights. You are now good to go!