2,441 Reviews
 (1,910)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product but be aware how to set up
Great product, but BEWARE...

When pairing two adapters, only hold the button down for between 3 and 8 seconds, then let go (I counted to five). The power light on the front will then flash.

Don't do what I did, and hold the button until the lights flashed, then let go. This is too long (about 12 seconds) and the pairing will not work...
Published on 4 Sept. 2011 by Mr. Nicholas J. Kimberley

2.0 out of 5 stars R.I.P TP-Link TL-PA211 :-(
Same story as many other reviews. Worked OK for 15 months, and then one of the units has now died.
Published 14 months ago by Mr Man

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product but be aware how to set up, 4 Sept. 2011
This review is from: TP-Link TL-PA211KIT AV200 Nano 200Mbps Powerline Adapter - Twin Pack (Accessory)
Great product, but BEWARE...

Lastly, if you are 'pairing' three (or more) adaptors, make sure they are in very close proximity, just during the pairing process. If you don't get to the third adaptor within a couple of seconds of the first two to pair it, you'll never get all three communicating.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value for money, 20 July 2011
At the time of writing this is the cheapest Homeplug pair in the market.

Easy to set up and very reliable. The product description states that it can transmit up to a distance of 300 m. I previously could not get wireless broadband coverage into my garden office; this pair of TP Links has done the job perfectly.

Please note that this comes with 2 ethernet cables (1 m length) so no need to buy separate cables (...as i did!).

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice!, 8 Sept. 2011
Bought this to overcome wireless connection issues - one of the best buys I've made!
Both ends plugged into extension cables (surge protected) contrary to recommendations & on different mains circuits (in a 50 year old house with standard one double socket per room!)- no issues at all. Plugged in & paired on same circuit. Relocated to final positions, switched on & instant connection, no messing. Reported 'only' 100Mbs link but not tested actual download speeds, may get better if using wall sockets, who knows, but still a darn sight better than the 1Mbs I frequently got via wireless.
Minor gripe is size - due to nature of one of my power extension towers where the actual sockets are angled at 45deg it impacts on neighbouring sockets, but no big shakes!
Delivery was awesome too! Ordered on Monday night, advised delivery expected following Monday but arrived the Thursday before - just 3 days from order to delivery!!
For info: 1 metre cables included & Windows 7 compatible.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wireless can only get you so far..., 3 Dec. 2011
Big.E (Bodmin, Cornwall) - See all my reviews
...which is why if you're more of an intense PC/Mac/Xbox/PS3 user or can't be bothered forking out for some expensive dongle for your TV/blu-ray player these come in very handy.

They weren't as plug and play as I'd hoped, but I am still awarding them 5 stars as TP-Link can't be held responsible for the state of my home mains power system, and I want this point to preface all the comments I make below. It may be I experienced these problems purely because of the way our houses' wiring is set up, but I just wanted to go through my issues in the hope that it will save someone tearing their hair out in future.

At first, no matter where I put the plugs they wouldn't connect by following the provided instructions.

In the end, this is what worked for me. I plugged both of them in to the same extension block near the router and plugged one ethernet cable into the router and one into my laptop, making sure both were on. I had the utility program supplied on the CD up and running on my laptop too, which tells you as soon as they are connected. At this stage, you should have the power and ethernet LEDs lit up green on both plugs.

They were virtually next to each other on the extension, so I pressed the pair buttons at the same time. Hold until the LEDs on both plugs blink off and then on again (about 8-10 seconds). Within a few seconds, the middle 'powerline' LED lit up on both plugs.

Then I unplugged the plug I wanted in my bedroom and quickly went to plug it in upstairs. Quickly. Once it was in and I'd hooked up the ethernet cable to my laptop, then all 3 LEDs lit up and I was connected.

My (uneducated) guess is that because of my mains wiring, the initial connection needed to be on sockets very close to each other. Once they've found each other I needed to quickly move it to where I wanted the second plug before the connection was lost.

A few points to note:

1. They don't like working off an ethernet switch - Run out of ethernet ports on your router? Then you may be in trouble as for the life of me I couldn't get them to connect plugged into the ethernet switch in our house.

2. They DO work on a extension block - Contrary to the instructions' frowny face pictogram, they work fine off a 6-socket extension at both ends. (We have a multitude of electronics in the house, so getting an actual wall-socket near the router was impossible, which I would venture may be the case in many households.)

3. Keep pressing the pair button - This was the only time I started to question the actual TP-Link hardware. A bit hit-and-miss with the pairing but I found the best thing to do was press them both at the same time. If this fails to work then reset both plugs via the supplied utility program on your computer, and try again.

4. DO NOT mess with the network name setting. This just put me right back to square one, plus it's unnecessary as the pair buttons makes the connection secure.

So that's my unofficial guide to getting your homeplugs working if you have wonky mains wiring (as tends to be the case in Cornwall :). The setup instructions should be the same theoretically if you want to connect a desktop or blu-ray player, as you don't need your device connected by ethernet in the beginning to make the initial connection between the plugs.

I hope this helps someone and I hope it's clear enough to understand. They are brilliant, I'm getting 1.4mbs download on our 10MBit Sky broadband line, which is consistently quicker than a wireless connection in the house. In my opinion and experience wireless is great for portable devices like phones and tablets, but in a busy household it puts a lot of strain on a router to have to support all those radio signals, plus they tend clash with any of your neighbours who are trying to run their own wireless networks.

These are a perfect alternative to wi-fi, and if you don't mind one extra cable they will provide you with a solid, constant connection.

2.0 out of 5 stars R.I.P TP-Link TL-PA211 :-(, 23 Dec. 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Happy now, 28 May 2011
F. W. Henning - See all my reviews
After several attempts to pair the adaptors using the basic instructions failed I was convinced that they were faulty, however after downloading the more detailed manual from the web site I could see where I was going wrong and my next attempt successfully paired the plugs and they have been working perfectly ever since.
I used them to connect my Sky box to my Internet router so that I could download films through Sky anytime+. It works perfectly and the download speeds are the same as if the sky box directly connected.

I love the flexibility that this system brings where you can effectively make any wall plug in your house part of your home network,

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but doesn't work across RCDs, 11 Mar. 2012
It works but only across the same circuits. If you have RCDs protecting your fusebox then it the adapters can only work across one circuit which means you can only use these for half the house. Emailed their technical support who agreed this was a limitation - astonishing this is not made clear in the sales literature. Other manufacturers (more expensive) like devolo don't have this limitation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for BBC i player!, 16 Oct. 2011
Bought this set to connect my router and my TV with built in Freesat so that I would be able to use BBC iplayer. Being a touch sceptical, I had a feeling that it would'nt work but.....worked straight away!! Simple to set up and to pair both adaptors. Please note that two ethernet cables are included in the box.

1.0 out of 5 stars NOT ALWAYS PLUG AND PLAY. HERE'S THE FIX, 2 Dec. 2011
I gave it one star to catch your eye.

Delivery was great - less than 48 hours from placing the order.

I have a 20 year-old house, a desktop with Windows 7, a laptop with Windows 7, and an xbox.

As usual with units like this, I followed the documented instructions diligently.

24 hours later, having gone through the manual, the web site and Google several times, I was no further forward and very frustrated.

PLUG AND PLAY 0 OUT OF 10 for me.

I'd rung the 'help' line four times. It kept saying "We appreciate your call, but we're all busy now. Why don't you go to our website. If you require immediate, over the phone assistance, please try again later"!!! That summed it up. No deal - just recorded messages each time.

ACCESS TO HELP LINE 0 OUT OF 10.

One final phone call before I returned them to Amazon. It was answered! And a young lady from Thailand or the Phillipines solved my problem with an undocumented fix!

HELP LINE PERSONNEL 10 OUT OF 10.

The solution
------------
You are provided with a utility program with the units. One of its functions is to do a factory reset on one of the devices. (This is as opposed to doing a physical reset directly on the device itself.) We did a computer-based reset on each unit in turn and, bingo! they became plug and play!

Edit 11 April 2012. Sorry the above might not be comprehensive, but see this from Comment 12 today.

I can't lay my hands on the disc or the manual at the moment (big mistake?), but I've just downloaded a copy of the user guide (...). As I said in my post, you must use the software provided on the disc which came with the units. Then I THINK that you use the RESET button on the MAIN tab. You must plug in the units one-at-a-time, and run the reset on each in turn. Then install both as per instructions. Mine have worked fine ever since.

Failing this it might be worth ringing the help line, but remember that (again, I think) they are based in the Phillipines, or somewhere, and only appear to work during normal hours over there.

I've had them for two years now (Nov 2013), and they perform perfectly.

PERFORMANCE WHEN INSTALLED 10 OUT OF 10.

5.0 out of 5 stars Work very well and easy to setup, 18 May 2012
I bought 4 of these to replace my ageing Devolo 85Mb powerline devices , which were cripplingly slow.

Installation is simple (I followed advice on here and went to their website) - plug in the 1st two devices, near each other for simplicity, then press the button on one for about 5 seconds, release, do the same to the other, wait 10 seconds and all is done! Then to add the 3rd I plugged it in, pressed it's button for 5 seconds, then pressed the button on one of the existing ones for 5 seconds. Then repeated this process for the 4th.

There is no real need to install their software utility but I did so I could see the connection speeds. I'm getting around "100Mb" to a "quiet" (lightly used) socket in my dining room (master unit is in a cupboard in my hallway where my ADSL router is). On the other side of the room, not very far away, I get around "50Mb" - I'm assuming this is because this is where my PC is plugged in, along with speakers and screen - so it is a "noisy" socket. Upstairs some distance away I get 100Mb. If I plug the units in right next to each other I get around "180Mb" connection. Pointless but an interesting test :-)

Bear in mind all these figues should be halved if you are comparing them to normal LAN Ethernet ports / switches - as normal network gear specifies the speed in full duplex (both directions). So when you buy a router with a 100Mb port, it's really 100Mb upload and 100Mb download, at the same time. It's called 100Mb out of simplicity (and honesty) but clearly TP-Link (and all the other manufacturers of powerline products) try to "big up" their speeds by quoting the total speed of both directions (100Mb up, + 100Mb down = 200Mb!!). So when the utility says you are getting, say, 80Mb, in real terms this is a 40Mb full duplex connection.

This also explains how they can have a "200Mb" device that only has a 100Mb network port on it! :-)

I've tested real data throughput, and regardless of their way of doing the numbers, these are indeed a huge step up in performance over the older 85Mb powerline adapters.

I test copied a 6gb file to my desktop PC from a network disk attached to my router. These are the transfer rates as reported by Window 7:

Old 85Mb Devolo Powerline adapter - 700Kb per second (slooooooow)
New TP-Link AV200 Powerline adapter-2.2Mb per second (2,200Kb per second - three times faster) thats with the AV200's connecting as a measily 50Mb
802.11g (54Mbps) Wifi adapter - 2.6Mb per second - I'm leaving my desk on Wifi :-)

Overall very pleased with the product - I use them for network extensions that are not very speed dependent - one I used to plug in a 2nd WiFi access point to extend my wifi (anything faster than my ADSL of 20Mb is good enough), another I use to feed the network to my Sonos music system which just streams MP3 files.