5.0 out of 5 stars Very pleased
Hi folks,
I want to keep this short and simple. I can validate much of the critic given by several of the other reviewers. That said, I've only had the unit a few days, and I haven't much free time to watch, so I haven't had a chance to assess the quality of the HD channels.
Published on 20 April 2011 by J. A. Shipman

3.0 out of 5 stars Sadly not so perfect
I've had this box for about a week. It replaces an identical model from another supplier which was sent back because after a couple of days it would, at random times with random spacing cause the TV picture to dim momentarily and then return to normal. Waiting for the next dimming removed all enjoyment from the watched programme.

The present box arrived with...
Published on 25 April 2011 by Andrew Wales

5.0 out of 5 stars Very pleased, 20 April 2011
J. A. Shipman "Al" (Liverpool) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Toshiba HDR5010KB 500GB Freeview+ HD Digital TV Recorder (Electronics)
Hi folks,
What I can say is that the unit was very easy to set up. It self-boots very well, tho it takes a while to find the channels on the first scan. The guide screen I have found to be excellent. I was entirely happy with this function on previous recorders, but I do think that this guide screen is very easy on the eye and pleasant to work with. Nice large print that fills up the screen. You can hardly see the channel running in the background while you are doing this ...but you can hear it. This is fine for me. I love the fact that you can select a program to record (be it a whole series or an individual program), but after selecting, you are not forced back to the start of the process, so I can continue on thru the same week exactly where I left off in my search. That's brilliant for setting up recordings at the far end of the advanced schedual. I haven't had this function before, and it's a big deal for me.
The unit is stylishly understated and whisper quiet. So. First impressions: very pleased.

Update: A few weeks on and no glitches. Delighted with it's performance.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 22 Mar 2011
jimmyreviewer1988 (england) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have been using Play TV as my main freeview recorder and top box for a number of years now, and I was not overly impressed with it at any level.

I am very happy with the Toshiha set that has arrived. It is sleek and stylish looking and fits well with my Sony Widescreen TV.

It is surprisingly light, but does not feel in anyway cheap.

I have had this for almost a week now and am happy with most aspects, The sync of channels was absolutely easy and trouble free, this is always a big plus for me, especially as I use the HD channels now.

I am happy with the quality and I am happy with the sound so overall very much worthwhile. There is also a lot of space on the hard drive for recording and I am very happy with the device as a whole.

I would 100% recommend this machine!

5.0 out of 5 stars A fairly lengthy review comparing the functionality of the Toshiba Freeview+ HD with the Sky HD subscription box., 25 Mar 2011
Owen Hughes (Oxfordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Reviews for these products tend to be in comparison to other freeview/tv recorders, but unfortunately I do not have much experience with other freeview boxes! The last one I owned was about 6 or 7 years ago so would probably not compare favourably with probably any newer, modern models. However, I do have a subscription to Sky HD; and having frequently come close to filling up the memory on the Sky HD box, I had been thinking about getting an extra tv recorder for a while, so finding this was ideal for me.

I also thought it would be a little different for people to read how a freeview HD box like this compares to a subscription service - specifically Sky HD. So first of all, I'll start with a few pro's you get from the Toshiba Freeview+ HD recorder that you don't get with Sky HD, I'll then go on to state what you might miss out on, and finally what other pro's you get from the Toshiba. I won't go into specs of the machines etc as you can find those on the amazon product details/sky website, so this is purely a "personalised" review of my experiences with the two products.

Pro's of the Toshiba over Sky HD:

* PIP (Picture in Picture) - A nifty little feature that you don't have on Sky. Whilst watching one channel, you can have a little box appear on the screen which shows another live broadcast from a different channel. At the push of a button, you can then switch between the two channels effortlessly! I find this is ideal for watching things such as the football when two matches are being shown simultaneously on separate channels. When a goal is scored in one game, just press the PIP button and you can go live to that channel and still keep an eye on the previous game in the corner of the screen! You can also move the picture box to any corner of the screen easily. A great feature that works really well.

* Recordings clash - On both the Toshiba and Sky HD, you can only record two programmes at the same time. However, the Toshiba will scan alternative channels/times to suggest recording a programme at another time if the timings of any programmes on your planner are set to clash. Sky has a habit of just "part recording" programmes or just not recording them at all if there is a clash.

* USB Port - There is a USB port on the front of the Toshiba which allows for easy accessibility when wanting to view pictures and other media. As far as I'm aware, there is no function for this on the Sky HD box at all! In fact, there is even an extra USB port at the back of the Toshiba.

* Display screen - On the front of the box there is also a digital display which tells you what channel you're watching and even the name of the programme itself scrolls across the display! Very snazzy! The front of the Sky HD box is very boring in comparison.

* HDMI ports - If your tv doesn't have many HDMI slots, this function would be very handy. You can plug up to 3 extra devices into the machine and choose which to view very easily as each port has its own button on the controller, saving you from having to tirelessly scroll through which input you want to view.

There are other functions too that I haven't actually tried yet, such as creating a playlist of your recorded programmes, which I can imagine being very useful in the future. Also, if you go to record a programme on, say, BBC1, if the programme is also available in HD, a little message will appear on screen that tells you this and at the touch of a button you can record the HD version instead. It is a very intuitive machine.

Now, onto the con's. And I have to admit, I'm scraping the bottom of the barrel slightly here.

* Channels - As with my old freeview box, there still doesn't seem to be a great range of channels available. That's not necessarily a criticism of the box itself, but it is something that you wouldn't get with a subscription to a major provider. It's also something that could easily change in future and isn't always important to everybody.

* Speed - The Toshiba takes a little while to start up, and "channel surfing" can be quite frustrating as it doesn't glide through the channels very quickly at all. However, using the handy Guide will render this habit pointless as it is simple to use. Even more so if you organise the channels into the order of your choice (which you can't do with Sky!)

The other great pro's of this machine are that it's very easy to navigate/use, it's lightweight, it looks slick and makes virtually no noise at all. The picture and sound quality seem to me to be fine and it has a very large hard drive so can record a LOT of TV! The set up was very simple; if I think back to my last freeview box, I had to go through about 2 or 3 different menu's to tune the channels. This was a case of switching the machine on and pressing "ok" and it does all that for you!

The functionality of the Toshiba is probably its main asset over a subscription to something like Sky HD. In fact, I never knew how basic my Sky box was in comparison to other products on the market. I'm not sure I'm quite ready to give up my subscription just yet, however! But the Toshiba is a very welcome addition to the TV stand in the front room and will most likely stay there.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best yet!, 8 Mar 2011
Kevin Fenton (Manchester, UK.) - See all my reviews
I've tried several Freeview HD recorders, including the Fetch TV model from Tesco, three of which I took back! None of them have worked properly. This one, straight out of the box offers an astonishing HD picture that betters Sky HD (which I also have) and works perfectly! The machine looks the part, has excellent facilities, large hard drive, intuitive guide and operations, its COMPLETELY reliable and has never missed a recording! There are none of the usual frustratingly regular 'updates' needed to make the machine work! It works perfectly straight out of the box! Also, it has an excellent and unique feature which is that it has 2 HDMI pass though inputs, so now have my PS3 and HD DVD connected to it, and they are all connected by one HDMI to my receiver! You just select one of the 2 HDMI inputs on the Toshiba remote. That means three HDMI connections on the one input! They all look perfect! That's a real feature worth having with limited (3) HDMI inputs on my Onkyo and 5 HDMI capable units! Ok so there is a slight lag when changing channels (I think its because it starts to record straight to the drive for pause and rewind purposes before it displays the picture) but honestly apart from this really minor issue, it's the best Freeview recorder I have seen and had! Can't rate it or recommend it highly enough! Well done Toshiba!

4.0 out of 5 stars MikeD, 3 May 2011
M. Dewison (Essex, UK) - See all my reviews
Decided to take the plunge and buy the Toshiba HDR501KB 500GB Freeview+HD Digital TV PVR unit as the price was right and the fact that I have an excellent 42 inch Toshiba Regza LCD HDTV and my existing, excellent Humax PVR isn't HD. As usual, Amazon delivered in record time although only used standard free delivery. Unit set up ok found all the channels and the picture & sound are very good on HD & non HD. I don't think that the controls are as easy to use as the Humax and some buttons on the remote are very small and sometimes require pressing twice. However it is a bonus that it also controls my Toshiba TV so I have one less remote! The Toshiba PVR has frozen on me a few times which requires removal of the power supply to reset. I seem to recall that my Humax often did this until a firmware update resolved it. Also, when forwarding a program, more than a few times, it has jumped to the end. Very annoying! I miss some of the functions of the Humax such as the slow motion forward/back, the ability to select different forward/back times. I don't like the look and functionality of the channel guide as much as the Humax and the PIP is only 1 box where the Humax splits into 2, albeit on a separate screen. One annoying feature of the Toshiba is the time it takes to start from switch on and the time lag between changing channels. However, on the plus side, the Toshiba is quieter than the Humax and a very useful function is it's ability to offer alternative channels when recording clashes occur. I assume that the larger 500GB drive is required to handle the increased data of HD TV, Therefore, as at the moment there are only a few HD channels, it should provide more non HD program recording. All in all I consider it a good buy and definitely recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice looking machine - great picture, 1 Mar 2011
Big improvement from the Humax freesat (non pvr) box I'd had before this in terms of interface and general "tactileness". Picture quality is great and the usage of the whole thing is intuitive - I'm really happy.

Downsides are a very slight lag when changing channels and the (current) lack of iplayer / internet media player accessibility - don't know if the latter will get addressed at some point or not.

To summarise - great picture, easy setup, nice thing to use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great piece of kit, 28 Jun 2011
C. Yates (UK) - See all my reviews
This is a great piece of kit, reliable, does what it should and surprises you with a couple of nice extras you didn't expect.

Record SD and it offers HD alternatives when it can, sensible choices of episodes when recording a series link (no pointless repeats from 3 in the morning and so on)

Really impressed - if there was anything at all you could comment on is the remote needs pointing directly at the device and I couldn't code the remote to work with our Panasonic TV.

I can and have recommended this to others without reservation

3.0 out of 5 stars Sadly not so perfect, 25 April 2011

The present box arrived with Amazon's usual efficiency and for a couple of days it performed perfectly then... Yes! You've guessed! Random momentary dimming of the picture. Switching the box off and on again seems to stop it for a while. Toshiba tech guys have no idea what is going on. Their suggestions as to what might be wrong were illogical and suggested changes to the HDMI cable and other things being connected to the HDMI inputs and so on just didn't work - I knew they wouldn't but I tried them just to humour the Toshiba people.

The box will probably go back - alas because the picture quality is superb and it has some nice functions. BUT...

The remote buttons are not good - they often have to be pressed a number of times before the unit responds.

The timer recordings are unreliable. Programmes are missed. Worst of all is that the box decides itself that the programme is repeated some other time and so it will record then. That's useless if I want to record tonight and watch tomorrow if the programme is not timed to record until later in the week. And there seems to be no way round it.

So now to scour the web for a more reliable box.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good enough for me, 26 April 2011
S. Buchanan (Glasgow, UK) - See all my reviews
I've had this for two weeks now and I'm very pleased with it, a couple of minor niggles but overall a good box. This replaces a Humax 9200 which is nearly 5 years old and is getting quite temperamental, I chose this Toshiba as the spec looked good and the price was good too.

I have never bothered to upgrade the aerial that this is connected to and my TV (Hannspree 32" with Freeview built in) doesn't pick up all of the channels (5 of the 6 available multiplexes) this box picks up fewer channels than my TV only getting four muxes. One problem is that when the box is in standby I can watch my usual choice of channels on my TV but when the box is on the TV now also fails to get the channels the box can't receive so no recording Dave and no watching Dave with the box on. This should be remedied when the digital switchover in my area happens in June and the channels move about so my aerial will pick them all up and the signal strength is boosted considerably.

I did try this box in another room with a different aerial which receives all the available channels, while the TV here says the signal is good the box said the signal was poor on all channels and the initial scan failed to pick up the HD channels, a quick web search to find the channel number and a manual scan got the HD channels and the picture on them was fine. Again the digital switchover should improve this.

The remote needs to be pointed directly at the sensor on the box, just in the general vicinity is not good enough for the press to be registered. I've done a few timer recordings and had no problems, it does record 33 minutes for a half hour programme and 64 minutes for an hour programme, I don't see an option to reduce the extra space on the end. My Humax had a series link option which this has too and I like to use, the other thing it has is a Try This option which says it records similar types of programme to the one you're recording, I don't see the point of this but might be useful to someone. The EPG is easy to use and scroll through, setting a timer recording is easy to do.

The sound from this is louder than from the TV and pressing the volume down button changes the volume on my TV rather than the box, which is good in that the remote works my TV without me doing anything but I'd rather reduce the volume on the box so that when I switch back to the TV I don't have to turn it up again.

Someone else mentioned that there seems to be a lag that they thought was caused by the box buffering everything to the hard drive before displaying, I don't think that's right as when I have this on and the same channel on in the next room the sound is in sync, but at the same time having a picture in picture with the same channel that you're watching the small image is about 1 second ahead of the main display.

I am very happy with this Toshiba box, I've mentioned the things that annoy me but overall it does what I want it to do and in eight weeks come the digital switchover it should let me watch and record all the Freeview channels including the HD ones. Oh, and I don't see the point in comparing this to other broadcast formats, if you want Sky get Sky, if you want cable get cable, if you're happy with Freeview then this box will be fine as long as you get a good quality signal from your aerial.

1.0 out of 5 stars Longer you own - the worse it gets, 18 Jan 2012
I too am having problems. I was aware that sometimes while rewinding a passage on an HDD recorded item the unit would freeze and have to be effectively restarted in order to continue playing the program. Over time the problems have worsened. Now it freezes during replay of a movie and turns back to the library screen. Usually, the unit has to be turned off at the mains and restarted in order to continue. I agree with the reviewers who found trouble from the gitgo. My failure was not returning it then. We should not have to endure 'glitches' with modern equipment. This is bad testing or quality control and I refuse to accept that manufacturers are unaware of the faults.