4.0 out of 5 stars First IImpressions Are WOW!
Just got this as a birthday present and my first impressions are Wow!

I will update on transferring and the DVD/Hard Disc quality when Ive monkeyed about and loaded the software.

Published on 4 April 2011 by J. Lynton

3.0 out of 5 stars Works well, but has drawbacks
This is my fourth video camera and second Canon one.

Records to an SD card, (make sure you get the right one and type).

Published on 6 Aug 2011 by Griffin

4.0 out of 5 stars First IImpressions Are WOW!, 4 April 2011
J. Lynton - See all my reviews
Just got this as a birthday present and my first impressions are Wow!

The Casing and the build quality is top notch. Sleek and beautiful, with such a light and small machine, yet it feels so tactile to hold. The buttons are substantial yet nimble and the great thing about it is even the missus thinks it looks sexy.

As for simple operations, I am using a fast SD memory card so I works like a dream and if you are saving money not buying one with a solid state state drive I reckomend you buy the best quality you can afford, then skimp on the GB as you can buy more later and swap them quick as a flash (no pun intended).

It records constantly when you turn it on so it will add the first 3 seconds before you press record to any shot so you dont miss anything - this is perhaps the most exciting feature im waiting to try on our little one and will update how it works.

As for sound, it comes out perfectly pleasant, no harsh base tones from voices behind the camera, and it will pick up far away noises too, so this might make shooting in a croud annoying, I hope the software will be able to tone down background noise, but filming a quick blog, I could hear very clearly my wife in the other side of the house on the playback (although she is very noisy on the phone).

And as for Picture this is where I am so excited. In low lighting and shooting indoors at night I would have thought it would have a strange look like the similarly priced Sony and Panasonic's, yet it was crisp and clean with the minimum of fuss on the image and looked spectacular even on the little screen.

Anyway I shall update later so for now it gets 4*

4.0 out of 5 stars innovative, 31 Mar 2011
D. R. Lane "healthy dog lover" (york U K) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Canon LEGRIA FS406 Camcorder - Silver (37x Optical Zoom) 2.7 inch Widscreen LCD (Electronics)
Having purchased my first Cannon videocam in 2001, this third one developed is astoundingly light, has much longer battery life and has all the desirable features at a very attractive price. Compared to one from another manufacturer recently purchased by a family member, the automatic shutter over the lens is an advantage and one less button to remember to press before filming.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lightweight and easy to use, 13 Mar 2012
Loads of gismos but easy to use - useable even in my big arthritic hands just as it is in the more delicate hands of my teen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excelent Camera, 1 Jan 2012
I bought this camera for short video work after my shiny Sony all singing and dancing camera died. I have not been disapointed. For profesional work it probably falls short of the mark. I hardly ever used any of the fancy controls on the Sony, so am not missing anything. This is used for web based video, YouTube and recording local events, of which their are dozens every year here.

The transfer software, although quirky on first attempts is soon learned and does the job well of transfering to computer. I have not used the software for manipulation as I have some old stuff I have used for years and is good enough for my use.

For family based stuff it is a good camera. Very light and easy to use. As with all cameras it needs a reasonable amount of light. In dim lighting the colour shifts a little. The small built in light is ok for close up work but it is only a few mm in diameter so cannot be expected to be good for full size work. I have put 4 x 36watt twisted type flourescent lamps into the light fitting of one room for video indoors and the results are superb. Better than expected.

For the price its a good camera, even for video courses delivered over the internet. Smart filmwork may need something a little more sophisticated.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really nice pocket size camera!, 27 Jan 2012
This is a great little camera which is you can point aim and shoot away....decided to get a new camera as my wife and I are expecting our first child. Lightweight, feels good in your hand and very easy to zoom in and out!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Little Camcorder, 30 Sep 2011
Great little camcorder, Beyond my expectations with video and snaps.Canon LEGRIA FS406 Camcorder - Silver (37x Optical Zoom, 2.7 inch Widescreen LCD)

5.0 out of 5 stars Yes Still Working, 29 Nov 2013
Great little Cam Corder--we have taken it with us almost everywhere and at the price--a Bargain
Good Seller --why not buy one

5.0 out of 5 stars Toni, 12 Jun 2013
Bought this for my son who has recently become a Dad he loves this - catching every moment Excellent camcorder so easy and light to use

3.0 out of 5 stars Works well, but has drawbacks, 6 Aug 2011
This is my fourth video camera and second Canon one.

Records to an SD card, (make sure you get the right one and type).

Downloads to computer Ok, but problems start when you try to join up several scenes using Videostudio ProX3 - the productions keep stopping momentarily and then re-starting. They play well when used in isolation. Am trying to overcome this but it's annoying and I think It has to do with recording to an SD card.

I have always been pleased with Canon products but not sure about this one, if I can overcome this 'glitch' it will be excellent.

This replaced a much better Canon MV630, stolen at St Pancras station.

Mike.