Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£2.23

on 27 March 2014
At under 200 pages, this would be classified as a horror novella, and I should have been able to read it quickly, but, and this could be a reflection either of me or the book, I struggled to make my way through it.

It’s about a young teenage lad in a rural British village who discovers that he’s related to a white witch who, hundreds of years earlier, ‘ate’ the nightmares of the villagers. Those nightmares have now been released, affecting the modern-day villagers.

I’ve not read anything by Lebbon before. He’s British and I really wanted to like this, but there was so very little to like.

It wasn’t clear what was happening until the last few pages – which is sometimes the case with horror novels – but, in this case, it just meant I spent the first 90% of the book feeling confused.

The first section – mainly about the main character – contained much of the usual coming-of-age stuff which Stephen King (for example) does so much better. And then the second section was, basically, one long dream sequence. Sadly this was about as boring as it is when someone starts telling you about their own dreams.

I was walking through a jungle and then I closed my eyes and when I opened them again I was standing alone in a desert and the sky was blue then it was black then I was in a dark damp house and something was moving in the corner and then I felt elated and then I felt sick and then the sky turned green and then there was a really loud noise etc etc etc

Very disappointing. Sorry, Tim.

1/10
on 21 April 2012
I didnt get this book at all.I thought as its the same author as cabin in the woods ,that it would be good ,but i found it boring to read and almost deleted it from my kindle.