4.0 out of 5 stars Competent
Published 16 days ago by Elaine Tomasso

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as the previous Kate Burkholder!
I was looking forward to reading Linda Castillo's second book after enjoying her first so much. We see the return of both Kate Burkholder and John Tomasetti. Except this time around we are around a year after the setting for the book Sworn to Silence.

Published on 21 Nov 2011 by Best Crime Books

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as the previous Kate Burkholder!, 21 Nov 2011
Best Crime Books "Best Crime Books" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

When the police arrive at the Amish farmstead in Painters Mill following the sound of screaming, they can't imagine the horror that awaits them. An entire family slaughtered: the men shot, the young women tortured and killed. They need to work out if this is random or intentional and planned. Kate decides to call on John for help. Jon is having his own career crisis and finds that the call from Kate comes at the right time.

Linda Castillo's writing was just as good the second time around. However, a few chapters in and I was getting the distinct feeling that I had been here and read this before. The story wasn't as complex as the first and I found myself getting frustrated with the plot. I wasn't however dissapointed with the characters. I like Kate Burkholder and John and think the dynamics of their friendship/relationship was the more interesting part of this book?!?!

I was over half way through and kept expecting there to be a big surprise or plot twist. Sadly, I was still expecting it right up to the end, only to be left feeling dissapointed. Don't get me wrong overall I enjoyed the book, but I wasn't sure what was the overwhelming dislike. Was it the fact that the Amish angle to the story was now a little dull? Or was it the fact that the story just wasn't as good as her first book? I don't actually think I know the answer even having finished it.

As a summary, I would say that this is a read that will keep you reasonable entertained, but not gripped. Anybody looking to read another great book in this series may be left feeling a little cheated. All of that said, I will still buy and read the next book in the series which has already been released in the hope that this book was just a minor blip

2.0 out of 5 stars Pray for no more repetition, 7 Oct 2012
Philtrum (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I read the first book in the series (Sworn To Silence) about a year ago and enjoyed it. The books (up to four, now, I understand) concern Kate Burkholder, Chief of Police in a small Midwestern US town. She was raised Amish but left the church as a teenager. The town in which she serves contains both Amish and "English" people.

The books are basically police procedural but contain a lot of information about the Amish way of life, and a lot about Kate's various conflicts.

This second book disappointed on a couple of levels. There was way too much referring back (and summarising - repeatedly) the events of the first book. There was way too much repetition, full stop. Yes, we understand just how deeply Kate is disturbed and disgusted by the crimes committed and how much she just wants to kill the perp. We got the point the first time the author mentioned it. Harping on about it, chapter after chapter, was not needed.

Lastly - and no spoilers - when the big reveal came in the last chapter, one of the names mentioned meant nothing to me. Even flicking back through the book quickly didn't help me. She repeated herself about certain things, then, when we find out whodunit, all we get's a quick mention of a name and then she moves on. D'oh!

I don't think I will be moving on to numbers three and four in the series unless the reviews are universally glowing.

4/10

2.0 out of 5 stars Not up to the standard of her first book, 22 Jan 2011
I enjoyed Linda Castillo's first book "Sworn to silence" very much but there is an obvious problem in having a small Amish comunity become a centre for murder. Possibly the author was pushed into writing something as a follow up and her heart wasn't in it, as one reviewer put it robotic writing. My biggest complaint is the fact that the author seems to forget what she has written earlier and then contradict herself. The worst instance is page 301 where Kate sends Glock to interview a murder suspect and check if he has an identifying scar on his hand. This would solve the case and finish the story but seems to have been forgotten as the ending takes a different turn. Hopefully the author. who I believe has great potential, will put more effort into a third novel, but I think the Amish twist has nowhere else to go.

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable enough but a couple of major flaws, 6 Sep 2012
Anne (Sheffield, Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Pray for Silence (Kate Burkholder Book 2) (Kindle Edition)
This is the second of the Kate Burkholder novels where the heroine is the sherriff of a small town which includes a large population of Amish people. Kate herself is ex-Amish having left the lifestyle after a major incident in her past which still lives with her and was the subject of the plot in the first book. She has a troubled relationship with mixed up FBI agent John Tomasetti. The Amish element of the story is dealt with well and respectfully and provides a decent enough background for the crime and the investigation.

The first issue which I have with the book, however, is that Kate and John are just too damaged - I seriously wonder how either of them hold down a job or function in society (although John does have problems with his job in this book although we don't get to find out what happens in the end). The relationship issues are interesting but they do loom large in the novel and overwhelm the mystery element.

The solving of the crime is the second problem which I have with the story. The investigation is very pedestrian for a while with lots of potential suspects and then everything happens in a rush, I confess that I never really grasped the motivation of the perpetrators nor how they had committed the crimes. The climax was exciting enough but it was a bit unrealistic that they would have set such a trap (a very expensive use of people resource if nothing else).

I wanted this book to tie together better because I liked Kate and John and thought that the setting was good, but it didn't really work well enough. It wasn't woefully bad but it could have been better. It was also written in the first present tense - I realise that this is becoming more common (Elly Griffiths does it too in her novels) but I, personally, find it offputting.

4.0 out of 5 stars Competent, 4 Dec 2014
Elaine Tomasso (Troon. Uk) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Pray for Silence (Kate Burkholder Book 2) (Kindle Edition)
This series is growing on me. I don't know much about the Amish community so the details about their lifestyle are interesting but how true they are I can't tell. Pray For Silence is a competent police procedural, not stunning or absolutely gripping but a good read. An Amish family of seven is wiped out in a particularly brutal fashion so the hunt is on for the perpetrator. The case builds slowly but surely as the police try to figure out what happened and why. I'm not sure about the ending as it seemed a little forced and unlikely in comparison with the rest of the book which seemed realistic with the police doing their best with the scant clues they have. I also found Kate's over- identification with one of the victims a bit hard to swallow but it did not detract from my reading pleasure. I think this book is an easy way to pass a few hours.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as the first book, 8 July 2013
This review is from: Pray for Silence (Kate Burkholder Book 2) (Kindle Edition)
Read the first book in the series and couldn't put it down, so downloaded this the next day. Was disappointed, they refer to the original book quite a bit which to be honest just made the read predictable.

4.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 27 Oct 2014
This review is from: Pray for Silence (Kate Burkholder Book 2) (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed the first book and was looking forward to reading the next in the series but found this book a bit of a disappointment. I realise that authors like even series books to be stand alone but there was a bit too much of referring back to the first book. There was also quite a lot of repetition throughout the book. The ending was, I felt, a bit far fetched. On the whole as a thriller it didn't really hit the mark. As a Police procedural novel it was probably slightly above average. I have read one of the novellas and enjoyed that so I will probably risk reading book 4 before I make a decision on whether to keep reading or give up on the series.

2.0 out of 5 stars Pray for Silence, 9 Jun 2010
J. Fraser (Perth, Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pray for Silence (Paperback)
Having read Castillo's first Kate Burkholder novel - Sworn to Silence - and really enjoying it, I looked forward to this one.

The story involves the brutal murder of a whole Amish family at Painter's Mill. Kate calls upon Agent Tomasetti from the previous book and they set off to find the killer.

From the very beginning of the book I was quite suprised at the style of writing, at times it was almost robotic - "I did this. Then I did that. I thought about this while I was doing that." I found it quite hard to really get into the story when Castillo used this approach.
I also felt like slapping myself on the forehead a few times during the story when Burkholder found "myseterious" marks in certain places and when she just "couldn't put her finger" on certain clues that will be blindingly obvious to the reader!
I was also concerned that she decided to track down a dark coloured car that had been seen by witnesses - she has the names of everyone in the area who owns one - but she only checks out one and sends her team to check another before completely forgetting about the rest of them...

I was also quite disappointed that there was no twist or clever revelation at the end, I almost felt cheated for reading all those pages!

Maybe I'm being a bit harsh as the book is still definitely readable and easy to digest but if you have read Sworn to Silence then you may be disappointed with this one.

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of money, 29 May 2012
The book cover makes this story look a lot better than it is. After reading the back cover, I bought it expecting a gripping thriller to unfold, with slight titillation. Well, none of that was delivered.

Kate Burkholder talks like she's a tough police cop who's seen it all, but the author does not provide us much background history. I was expecting a strong character like Anita Blake from Laurell K. Hamilton, and I was really disappointed. The case is supposed to strike close at Kate's heart - she finds Amish intolerance easy to relate to - but, there's only brief mentions of it, nothing insightful. There's (traditional?) songs in it that shed light on the Amish culture, but lacks personal memories from Kate. Could've used a 'childhood friend' to boost development.

Middle of the book drags on. She interviews lots of people, mostly the wrong ones. I might have skipped a few pages. Her writing style was very irritating. Castillo probably spent her time thinking about the romance between Kate Burkholder and John Tomasetti, because that part was the most developed, and actually read well.

Then Kate finds the victim's diary. Things finally get interesting, but we're nearing the end and it's a bit late to save the story. The climax scene becomes a soap opera. Good dialogue, but a bit lengthy and thus unrealistic for an action scene. Ending was quite half-hearted.

I'd like to leave more criticism on her writing style, but it's been almost a year since I read it. I remembered how bad it was when I was reading negative reviews for another book. It was a complete waste of money, and it was sad that I lost the receipt and couldn't return it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must read, 8 Dec 2014
This review is from: Pray for Silence (Kate Burkholder Book 2) (Kindle Edition)
After reading the first book, sworn to silence, I loved it and I had to read this one and it was just as good, when it got close to the end of the book it got really intense and I couldn't put it down, I had to know what was going to happen next. I highly suggest anyone to read the first book and then this one.