5.0 out of 5 stars Even an oldie can love this series!
I'm 43 years old. I've never watched an episode of Skins in my life. I'm probably not the intended audience for this series. However, I've always loved certain aspects of superhero/strange powers bequeathed to unexpecting individuals stories and I can say, hand on my heart, that this series seeped into my soul and I found myself loving it.

At first I wasn't...
Published on 15 Jan 2010 by Bob Grist

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars
Box was damaged but the disc was is great condition and played great
Published 2 months ago by Sam Mouncer

5.0 out of 5 stars Even an oldie can love this series!, 15 Jan 2010
Bob Grist (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Misfits: Series 1 [DVD] (DVD)

At first I wasn't sure if I'd hate this little band of troublesome teens but, as time went by and deep characterisation was revealed and an incredibly talented bunch of actors brought them to life, I found that I was endeared to them in the way that I am, say, with the cast of Trainspotting. In other words, I love watching their twisted exploits even if I'd never actually want to meet them in reality.

And the writing is very mature, very intelligent and very complex too. There are some wonderful plays on SF tropes, such as a character being able to shift backwards in time to try and right wrongs (to disastrous effect) and horror conventions, such as a the classic chased-by-maniacal-Zombie-esque figure storyline.

Howard Overman has bought us a series that transcends its seemingly obvious late-teen flavour and allows anyone who has an interest in the genres of horror and science fiction to appreciate and enjoy this very British and very quirky series. It's intense, creepy, scary, sexy, amusing and very unique.

This first series ends on a dark and highly amusing cliff-hanger and I'm so pleased that another one has been commissioned by E4, not surprising seeing the critical acclaim it has garnered from the press.

5.0 out of 5 stars MISFITS: 5 Unlikely Teenage Heros, 15 Dec 2009
Mr. William Oxley "oxenblocks" (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Misfits: Series 1 [DVD] (DVD)
This is a very original British comedy drama with great acting & writing to produce an unbeatable level of entertainment. Definitely on a par with Californication Californication - The First Season [2007] [DVD] for original comedy.

Misfits is about 5 teenagers who are doing community service, who are struck by a supernatural storm and develop superpowers - a cross between Heroes & Skins Skins - Series 1 - Complete [DVD] [2007]. But they are not conventional heroes battling evil, they are more likely to be trying to sort out their own personal issues.

There are just 7 episodes of about 45 minutes with each one focusing on a different charactor, and a finale climax. In each episode they are basically trying to keep out of trouble and cover up the secret that unites them all. I love Episode 4 where we discover why Kelly, Simon, Nathan , Curtis, & Alisha are on community service.

DVD extras include: Behind the scenes interviews with cast and crew, Simon's films, & The making of Misfits.

Pre-order it now, or catch it in 2010 on Channel 4. Either way do not miss out on the hotest comedy drama series in an ordinary town with extraordinary charactors!

Series 2 has been commissioned with 6 episodes of 60 minutes. Let's hope with another BAFTA winning series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstandingly good!, 6 Jan 2010
Mr. C. J. Iredale "juxtapose" (London Town) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Misfits: Series 1 [DVD] (DVD)
I had this suggested to me by a friend who's opinion I value, and with some Christmas money in by hands I bought this without ever seeing a single frame of it. What a fantastic purchase! This has to be one of the best, certainly the most original series I have seen in a long while. The premise has already been well explained (ASBO teenagers, struck by lightening resulting in strange other-worldly powers), but what I really loved about the series are two things.

Firstly, the actors are all completely fabulous; I have never seen any of them elsewhere, but every one is outstanding and to cram them all on to one screen is a major achievement. If I had to choose a favourite, I would say Lauren Socha who plays the chavvy `Kelly', who is understated when it would be all to easy to make this stereotype someone to laugh at. That said, Robert Sheehan has a wonderful creation of `Nathan' to play with and he does so wonderfully.

Secondly, it is a fairly original effort, even if it borrows from other ideas. It starts with humour, goes into fairly creepy territory, is dramatic consistently and wanders into surreal on occasions. A very satisfying mix of styles, and it pulls it off with confidence.

Finally, it finishes so wonderfully, and leads towards a second series with such an emotive edge, I found it fantastic. This was originally shown on E4, is to be shown on Channel 4 soon and will hopefully start the snowball down a hill popularity of the Peep Show. I strongly suggest you buy this, it is a hoot!

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just for the teens, 20 July 2010
This review is from: Misfits: Series 1 [DVD] (DVD)
I'm in my fifties and sat and watched this with my twenty year old son on my thirty year old son's recommendation. Well, I laughed, I squirmed and I felt for the misfortunate characters. This is a very good series, very funny and poignant. Excellent writing, beautifully delivered. Yes, there is swearing and nudity but that's life, get over it or stay away from this.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the most refreshingly brilliant TV shows to come out for a while, 20 Jan 2010
This review is from: Misfits: Series 1 [DVD] (DVD)
I watched this when it first came out on E4 and I was pleasantly surprised at just how much I loved it. The writing is superb and witty, the characters are all intruiging and well developed, and the plots are gripping. This show definately has some of the UK's finest young actors in it, and it's always entertaining. I would recommend this to anyone and everyone!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Fun but forgive Naff special effects, 16 Feb 2010
This review is from: Misfits: Series 1 [DVD] (DVD)
Most of the other reviews have covered what an original program this is.
Starting from an unlikely oddball collection of misfits one develops a strong attachment to their escapades.
The special effects eg "storm clouds" leave a lot to be desired - a bit like early Dr Who & the DALEKS but this does not spoil the fun.
The DVD runs at about twice the bit rate of Freeview "E4", does not have 15 minutes of adverts per hour, or the enormous E4 channel logo - so well worth the money for the better picture quality.

4.0 out of 5 stars Misfits...something for everyone of most ages to enjoy!, 6 Oct 2014
Naomi_B (southport,england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Misfits: Series 1 [DVD] (DVD)
As some of the reviewers here have pointed out,this show isn't aimed at the older generation like me and yet much like Dr Who and Harry Potter charmed adults, this show aimed at generation 20 is actually fun for the oldies like me too. Robert Sheehan does stand out here, he certainly provides majority of the comedy, however all the characters provide essential maintenance to the show and we would miss their presence. The plot is totally outlandish but devilishly fun and addictive. The running time of each episode never drags and I always feel I've only spent 20 minutes watching them as they are always fast paced with the characters and script flowing smoothly. I am actually not a fan of superhero shows after being disappointed by Heroes in its latter stages so to see this series which I'd heard a lot of rave reviews for I went into it half hearted, but can definitely say I came away from the end of it full of cheer . A mix of comedy, darkness, and action makes for great viewing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good British Comedy/Sci-Fi, 13 Jan 2010
I. Sidhu "Cylon God." (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Misfits: Series 1 [DVD] (DVD)
With only 5 main characters this easily one of the best new teenager comedies around with the level headed sci-fi angle in order to attract a wider ranges of audiences. This new show is being called effectively "Heroes on Crack" with mind-set of steering away from Heroes, which is now ridiculously bad since the Season 1 finale.

This show presents us with the Heroes with Asbo's. Supers with Anti-Social's. 5 un-reluctant Asbo teens get powers which they learn to deal with, have fun with, tamper with the fabric of existence, and with enough to make sure they don't miss their next Asbo meeting. There are many characters to side with, witty and hilarious Nathan (Irish actor Robert Sheenan) to silent Simon (Iwan Rheon), to even inner-city Chav Kelly (Lauren Socha) who even grows on you to be fair.

Short review for a short first series, which is now welcomed back for a new series beginning this 2010. Definitely worth watch. 9/10.

5.0 out of 5 stars A grittier and more down-to-earth version of Heroes; better too, 29 May 2012
This review is from: Misfits: Series 1 [DVD] (DVD)
Bought as part of a box set, I suddenly wondered from the type of characters portrayed and their language and attitude whether I could really stick this, but I am so glad I did.

An incredibly insightful series into the youth it represents, and in clever storytelling, direction, music and acting. The characters could not be more polar-opposites.

As a viewer who has just entered the fourth decade, perhaps I am not the intended audience, but I love science fiction, and to me this series is more sci-fi than comedy.

Very original and engaging and I have to say that I prefer this to Heroes for getting on with the story immediately, and playing with "superpowers" in quite a bizarre way.

Not a pleasant series, and plenty of unpleasant themes, but absolutely first rate observation of aspects of human life seldom represented on television.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Brilliant, 31 May 2011
Mr. Paul J. Reid (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Misfits: Series 1 [DVD] (DVD)
After all the American TV shows of a similar genre - super powers, supernatural, strange phenomena, its great to see a British show which is so so good. I had seen a write up that Misfits was a BAFTA nominee...and thought I'd give it a go. My wife and I love the show and have watched both Series 1 and 2 in the last two weeks. The writing is excellent, the actors are great. Teenage misfits...ASBOs....humour, teenage behaviour, friendship, story lines that reel you in and make you want more...do yourself a favour and watch this. You will not regret it.

Misfits Series 1 [Blu-ray]
Misfits Series 1 [Blu-ray] by Owen Harris (Blu-ray - 2011)