4.0 out of 5 stars Good Practical Stylish And Easy To Use 'Touch & Type' Phone
Published on 14 July 2011 by Brian Newbould

2.0 out of 5 stars All looks; little substance
I had one of these phones for a short while and the overall experience was disappointing. There are good points, but the bad points outweigh them.

First, the good:

- The look and brushed metal finish. It looks smart and classy. Not necessarily a phone for teenagers, but for mature adults, it looks good.
- The buttons. Oh, if only all phones had...
Published on 31 Oct 2011 by M. D. Taylor

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Practical Stylish And Easy To Use 'Touch & Type' Phone, 14 July 2011
Brian Newbould (North Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nokia C3-01 Sim Free Mobile Phone - Silver (Electronics)
Having previously owned a Sony and latterly a Nokia 6303 Classic I considered these two brands first, Sony perhaps having a slight advantage on Nokia in the 'ease of operation' department. However, I finally decided on this 'Touch & Type' over the Sony alternatives and a plethora of other full touch screen handsets which were either poorly designed or in many instances simply too expensive with plenty of the 'more affordable' handsets also receiving indifferent reviews at best. My main reasons for opting for this 'Nokia C3-01' in no particular order were:

Good 'transitional' introduction to touch screen

Familiar, compact and reassuringly 'solid' build quality and feel. Not dissimilar to my old '6303' but with a sleeker appearance being very slim, stylish and most 'jewel-like' indeed.

Slightly larger screen than '6303', and its also very clear and bright which cant be a bad thing though as with most if not all comparable phones (?) still pretty difficult if almost impossible under certain circumstances to view outdoors even under typically dull grey British skies

Excellent large keypad with lateral 'separation bars', exceptionally good for texting, and at last Ive got a phone that does away with the dreadful 5-way central stick/buttons

5mp camera with zoom and flash which also doubles-up as a bright mini-torch

Radio and MP3 with claimed up-to 20hrs music playback

Wi-Fi, Internet and email capabilities although I hasten to add I will unlike some other people I guess only use these very occasionally hence my lack of comments on these 'specifics'; Ill leave that to someone who uses/understands them more. I primarily use my phone for calls and for texting; as an 'always to hand' camera, and as an occasional radio.

Good Points: The excellent large keypad and touch screen ideally compliment each other and are easy to use. As others have mentioned the screen can be a tad slow at times requiring an occasional second 'tap' or two; must stress this is absolutely no real 'problem' at all. The screen only requires a surprisingly light 'touch' to scroll/press/tap the on-screen 'buttons'. After a few days as one becomes more accustomed it all works very, very well indeed being both smooth and accurate and thus far surpassing my initial expectations. 'Top Tip': If sending a text select the name/contact first rather than scrolling down your list at the end when 'sending' as its a bit too easy to hit the wrong name/contact!

Comes with a very good comprehensive printed instruction booklet

Easy to navigate through menus, would obviously take a fair while longer to learn if you are switching from a different brand when I have found that certain things can initially make you feel a little annoyed and somewhat frustrated with your new toy!

Useful dedicated camera switch on right side of handset. Handy touch screen short-cut buttons and ability to personalise/customise home screen; very, very useful indeed

Good selection of features. Most used personal ones include alarm clock, voice recorder, torch (saps bettery?), calculator (a bit fiddly), et'al

Not-So Good Points: Signal reception is not as good as old '6303' which was very good. Battery life noticeably shorter but no real problem for light to moderate+ usage. Charge it once every five or six days perhaps. Nothing like the drastic one or two days of smart phones, however I understand that if you start surfing the Internet and using it like a smart phone then battery life becomes alarmingly similar: 'When is a mobile phone not a mobile phone? Answer; when its a smart phone! In other words this is definitely, definitely not an 'Internet' surfing phone except in extremis, read emergency then very good luck to you!

Stainless steel rear cover permanently shows-up finger marks. Purchased a clear cover on 'Amazon' with a 'patterned' reverse side which looks surprisingly good, quite 'nifty' actually. Its a good fit with correct cut-outs whilst also making it even easier to hold especially if your hands are 'sweaty'. Use phone in house without cover on, only fitting it when 'out and about' as it obviously helps to protect it. It does make side buttons a fair bit more tricky to operate especially the almost impossible 'Keylock' (as detailed below). Still bought three of these covers anyway as on balance we thought they were the best sensible option: One each for myself, my wife and son whom after seeing my new phone have replaced their old ones with the same model!

Quite obviously touch screen is permanently finger marked. I carry a spectacle cleaning cloth to polish same plus camera lens/flash window. Screen protector also used. (see my other 'Reviews' for cover/screen protector.

'Keylock' button on side is too small whilst being almost 'flush' with the body making it hard to press although the 'keylock' is auto-activated (literally) a minute after the last 'action'

No Micro-USB cable to connect to computer or Micro-SD card supplied; got both with old '6303' so am okay without having to purchase new ones

In summing-up: Very pleased so far. Owned it now for two months; cannot fault it as far personal requirements are concerned; no major flaws, 'faults' or shortcomings surfaced bearing in mind my previous Wi-Fi/internet/emailing comments. Surely, and particularly so for fellow (younger-end, just joined the club myself!) 'Silver Surfers', an absolutely essential prerequisite of a larger screen would be vital if you were regularly surfing the Internet?

'Amazon' price had sort of 'settled' (but still yo-yo's quite a bit so be patient!) to a realistic level -for- for what you get i.e. at the date of submitting this revue. All in all a very good 'updated' and (mostly) improved 'semi-traditional' phone that has and does everything I require and more. It suitably 'bridges the gap' between now and the next time I need to change/update. This will no doubt be to a 'Smart' full touch-screen device which one hopes will be a significant improvement over many of today's mediocre offerings whilst similarly reflecting current levels of spec., affordability and value for money, oh and with at least 4 or 5 days between charges!

5.0 out of 5 stars exceeds expectations!!, 25 Aug 2011
Fiona (East Anglia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nokia C3-01 Sim Free Mobile Phone - Silver (Electronics)
Although 5 years old my existing Motorola phone was still working I was finding it difficult to read messages on the small screen without hunting for my specs so decided to look for a phone with a larger screen and keys also a better camera.

After reading many reviews on Amazon the Nokia C3-01 seemed to fit my criteria, I have never used a touch screen before so was not sure how I would get on with it but need not have worried. I chose the sim free/unlocked option because I wanted to be able to change network if needed as I have been having signal issues from my house with my existing network.
I think this phone is a good transition, the keys are very easy to use and amazingly I have hardly needed to look at the manual as the phone is very easy to navigate even for this technophobe. The camera is very good although I have yet to see the photos on my computer screen as I am still waiting for an adapter I have ordered. You cannot take many photos on the camera's memory but can add a micro SDHC card up to 32 GB, however I have only put 4GB card in as I always save my photos on a memory stick.
The phone itself seems robust but sleek, I cannot comment on playing music or downloading as I am unlikely to use these facilities, however I was surprised at the volume and sound quality of the radio which is far louder than my net-book so I can see myself using the radio while out in the garden, you do have to plug the supplied earphones in to act as an arial but do not need to have them in ones ears. All in all I am very pleased with my purchase so far.

5.0 out of 5 stars great for touch screen haters, 5 Sep 2011
This review is from: Nokia C3-01 Sim Free Mobile Phone - Silver (Electronics)
I love this phone, its simple to use, mixture of buttons and touchscreen is great. I have fallen out big time with touchscreen only phones so its a relief to find one i dont want to throw at the wall everytime i use it !!

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellant mobile phone !!!, 22 Aug 2011
This review is from: Nokia C3-01 Sim Free Mobile Phone - Silver (Electronics)
Delivered withen 4 days of ordering this phone. Really nice phone, very easy to use, this is my first experiance with a touch screen phone and found it really easy to navigate, the only downfall is you have to touch the screen a couple of times sometimes to get it to work, but dont let that put you off. Its a very sturdy phone with a fabulous camera, battery life very good only seem to charge it twice a week and i use it a lot !!! I recommed this to all ages, a really good looking phone and at a very resonable price. . . thanks amazon !!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little phone...Like it a lot, 9 Nov 2011
Dodster (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Nokia C3-01 Sim Free Mobile Phone - Silver (Electronics)
I must now be entering what is politely termed 'the older generation' and as such have never been a great fan of mobile phones. I got offered this when a previous contract was due to end. I was a bit wary, but decided to go for it.
Score! I have never had a better mobile phone. It's easy to use, has a nice touch screen and I've even ventured into the world of 3G wireless connectivity.
But back to the phone.
The touch screen is logical and well set out. I mostly use it for phoning and texting and setting these up is a breeze. Touch 'contacts', 'add new' and you get led through adding phone numbers and other details.
Texting is just as simple and the keys are quite large for those of us who are not blessed with delicate digits. I find the prediction quite useful once you get used to it, and the insert symbol screen for the !,",&,?,@ symbols saves having to remember which number key they lie behind. If you are so inclined, various smileys can also easily be added.
The screen is bit on the small side for internet usage, at least for me. I have to hit the magnify button to see the text. I have been unable to get it to connect to the BBC iplayer and unable to find software that will allow me to do that. It might just be I haven't found it yet!
Battery life is good. But as another reviewer has pointed out, once you start surfing, it shortens considerably. Swing and roundabouts!
Overall, a great easy, to use phone.

2.0 out of 5 stars All looks; little substance, 31 Oct 2011
M. D. Taylor (Kent, UK) - See all my reviews

First, the good:

- The buttons. Oh, if only all phones had buttons like this! A good size, not much danger of pressing the wrong button, nice tactile, resistance.
- Nice, clear screen.

And that's about it. The good points are the things that you'll notice in a shop, the things that might well lead you to buy this phone. But it's when you start using it that it starts to disappoint, i.e. when you've paid up and got it home. So, the bad:

- Dismal battery life. Use it to read a few web pages, make a few calls, etc. each day, and expect to be charging the battery every day or two.
- Touch screen: hmmm, could be better, could be worse. It's easy to accidentally select an item when you're really trying to scroll through the menu. The reason for that is that menu items take up the full width of the screen - no scroll bars - so scrolling necessarily means putting your finger on a menu item to scroll . . . and surprise, surprise, sometimes you select instead of scrolling.
- Call quality: average.
- Signal: average.
- No Nokia maps (and they can't be installed); no Google maps either
- No voice dialling (despite what some websites say; if in doubt, check the downloadable manual on Nokia's website)

I had a Nokia phone for four-and-a-half years: excellent, reliable, durable - and even after that long, the battery would last a week between charges. But the Nokia C3-01 . . . Well, you can buy better phones for that money, even some older Nokia phones are better. Just look around for something better: this one is all looks and not much substance.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great phone, shame about the battery, 24 Dec 2011
This review is from: Nokia C3-01 Sim Free Mobile Phone - Silver (Electronics)
Bought this phone about a month ago, [though not from Amazon], to replace my trustworthy Nokia 6303 which unfortunately suffered death by drowning while on holiday. I have to say that the c3-01 is a fantastic phone for me. It has the traditional keypad for texting, which is my main use for a mobile phone. And it has a touch screen for web browsing. Once you get used to it, texting as well as browsing is quicker and a whole lot easier than with the keypad only.
I know that some reviewers have had problems with the touch screen. For me it is perfect, and after initially getting used to it i have had no problems. The menus, as always with Nokia, are a doddle to navigate, and I would definitely recommend this phone.
Now comes the downside. Nokia have, yet again, let us down big time in terms of the battery. [Memories of the 6300, a great little phone let down by abysmal battery life.] In my experience so far the battery included with this phone is inadequate. It's the same battery as used in the 6303, which was fine for that phone. But for this one with the touch screen, it is pretty hopeless. After texting and moderate use of the internet browser, I am lucky to get 48 hours before needing to charge the battery, sometimes just a day. What a crying shame.
I can but hope that Nokia will sort this out, without having to wait for an upgraded version of the phone.
I will not be swapping my C3-01, as in terms of functionality I love it. In the meantime the battery life is an absolute pain, and is the only reason I don't give this product 5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nokia C3-01 Silver, 17 Nov 2011
Cosmetics 5/5
Positive-Looks like a quality product.A High quality finish
Negative-Shows all marks and finger-prints.

User-friendly 4/5
Positive-I'm 47 years old and not into phones, they are a tool for me as part of business.I've had about 10 phones varying from all button to all full touch-screen.This one with its mixture between touch screen and buttons is good compromise for ease of use.

Functionability 4/5
Hasn't let me down in this area yet!
Screen good size.
Buttons size just right. I hate small buttons!!!!

Overall 4/5
Comfortably.....just wich I had paid the premium now for the Gold finish !!!

5.0 out of 5 stars nokia c3-01, 9 Dec 2011
This review is from: Nokia C3-01 Sim Free Mobile Phone - Silver (Electronics)
brilliant piece easy to use not very complicated an ideal gift for your moms and dads who dont want to confuse themselves with too much on a phone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nokia C3-01, 23 Sep 2011
This review is from: Nokia C3-01 Sim Free Mobile Phone - Silver (Electronics)
I am extremely pleased with my new mobile phone, a Nokia C3-01, touch screen, apart from the fact that I am having difficulties in loading pictures from my phone to my computer. The computer recognises the phone and somehow I managed to get 2 pictures loaded but not the third one, which had been sent to me by Bluetooth.