4.0 out of 5 stars Fills the Void Until Their Next Album
I haven't been a Birthday Massacre fan for very long, ok maybe a year, but still the moment my boyfriend previewed me their 'Violet' album when I stayed round his house one day, I knew that me and The Birthday Massacre were going to be new best friends!

Published on 13 July 2008 by Sarah R

2.0 out of 5 stars Another-Takeoff.
As much as I love The Birthday Massacre, it is starting to become frustrating how they reproduce all their original songs.

The only possibly two new songs on this Audio CD are
1. I Think We're Alone Now
2. Shiver

All the other tracks are already available on either
Violet, Nothing and Nowhere, or Walking With Strangers.

Bit...
Published on 22 April 2009 by Dougieeee Pringle

4.0 out of 5 stars Fills the Void Until Their Next Album, 13 July 2008
This review is from: Looking Glass (Audio CD)

I currently own all their albums and although I'm not the type of person to purchase 'singles' I was curious about this CD since the remixes included on this release were of some of my favourites from the 'Walking with Strangers' album and heard their cover on myspace. My boyfriend got me this for my birthday. So what's the verdict?

1) Looking Glass - Heavy guitars, dark tones, great keyboard work, beautiful lyrics from Chibi - it's what the Birthday Massacre is all about! Personally I don't think this song is the strongest from their latest album, but I think the same for pretty much all the songs they decide to make videos for/release as singles (except for Blue). However saying that, this song is no where near the worst song on the album.

2) Falling Down (Crawling Pulse Mix) - Falling Down is one of my favs from their latest album. It was very heavy, dark and Chibi decided to do something different by not screaming, growling or sound angry but just simply sing...and it worked! This remix takes the guitars away and adds a dark undertone to it which works well with how Chibi is singing. There's some nice keyboard and drum machine effects, apart from that the background mix is pretty much the same all the way through.

3) Shiver - This song reminds me of Science from their latest album, which unfortunetly is not a good thing as Science was my least favourite from their latest album. The lyrics are quite repetitive and the entire song just seems low on energy. It moves at an odd pace considering the lyrics and the melody used. Shame really, I did listen several times hoping that it'd grow on me. Alas it was not too be, it is just 3 minutes though.

4) Red Stars (Lukewarm Lover Mix) - The first of two Red Stars mixes. This is my least favourite. The mix doesn't really do much experimenting with the song, just adds some 'twinkling' sounds in and some additional keyboard work.

5) Nowhere - This instrumental track is only 2 minutes long and I'm not sure why it's added here, it's like an interlude or an 'introduction' but doesn't do much or go anywhere. It reminds me of 'Prologue' from 'Violet' but it's neither that dark to complement the rest of the single
or flow easily into the next track. It's just there as filler I suppose! Still, it's nice to have in the background.
UPDATE 13/05/09: THIS IS THE BACKGROUND MUSIC THAT PLAYS ON THEIR 'NOTHINGANDNOWHERE(DOT)COM' SITE

6) Red Stars (Space Lab Mix) - This remix starts off a bit quiet and slow but by the end of the chores it adds more layers to the backing track. Later on we heard alternative melodies which is nice and interesting to hear. It does get a little repeatitive towards the end admittally but at least it tries to bring something new to the song that the previous remix doesn't.

7) Weekend (NYC77 Mix) - My favourite remix, which surprised me really considering I was more looking forward to the other tracks! Chibi starts the song off quite strongly with the somewhat dancey and jazzy keyboard work in the background. Then after the first versus some serious guitar work is added in for good measure. Again alternative harmonies are thrown in and layered with the original versions of the lyrics. The remixer also reshuffles the structure of the song and played different sections of the song on top of each other and it works very well! This remix keeps you in your toes which was a welcome effect.

8) I Think We're Alone Now - Easily my favourite on this single and easily the happiest, most up-beat song the Birthday Massacre have done. To be honest I haven't heard the original version but Chibi's take on the song is perfect considering the lyrics describe a 'child like' relationship. This isn't the first cover they're done, they've covered 'The Neverending Story' which was also brilliant. If you like your Birthday Massacre to be dark, heavy rock and mystical then you may not enjoy this song much, but it's currently my most played song at the moment on my ipod.

9) Looking Glass (Music Video) - If you liked the music video for 'Blue' you'll be glad to hear that the director for 'Blue' is back to direct the video for 'Looking Glass'. Like 'Blue' the imagery used and the meaning behind it is not 'obvious'. There's a lot of use of masks (hence the cover) and the ending is rather strange. It's gothic, orignal and it's the Birthday Massacre! What more could you ask for?

So should you buy this? Well you can hear several of the tracks (not the remixes) on their myspace so check that out first. I'm quite happy with this CD but yet again I'm a massive fan and I didn't actually pay for it! If you liked the the original songs from 'Walking with Strangers' and can't wait to hear new material from them, grab this CD. If you're not fussed about a few remixes, wait for their new album which they are currenly writing material for.

4.0 out of 5 stars no massacre in sight, 1 Feb 2010
This review is from: Looking Glass (MP3 Download)
This band was recommended by a friend and it struck me as a bit unusual for him, a bit mainstream for a guy who likes his music eclectic. Female vocals, a light electronic lean put The Birthday Massacre in the region of the original Sneaker Pimps, the lighter side of Evanescence or The Sundays. So if they appealed to you, then I would recommend this. Easily accessible tunes, a good voice and well crafted songs make this an interesting aural adventure. They have a couple of albums under their belt, this is a short remix compilation that offers an insight into the bands style and direction. Skirting the edge of goth and emo bands they manage to pull the best out of the lighter side of these musical styles without sinking into too much introspection.

2.0 out of 5 stars Another-Takeoff., 22 April 2009
This review is from: Looking Glass (Audio CD)

The only possibly two new songs on this Audio CD are
1. I Think We're Alone Now
2. Shiver

All the other tracks are already available on either
Violet, Nothing and Nowhere, or Walking With Strangers.

Bit of a rip off really, which is a shame coming from a great band.

Looking Glass