Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£0.99

on 1 March 2011
This self-published Kindle book was another title that I bought purely through seeing people on Twitter praising it (I can't remember who it was in this instance).

I have read a few reviews of this book and quite a few talk about the excessive profanity found within it. In my view it isn't excessive at all, the gritty and often nasty realism of the characters cries out to be voiced by the appropriate language. If you do not like reading profanity in any context then this will not be the book for you. The stories contained in this book are so diverse and bizarre that I found I had to stop and think after the first page of each one to adjust. Unusually for a collection of short stories I did not find any of them particularly weak, and would quite happily read anyone of them again. My favourite was probably the first one titled "Dog-Man and Cat-Bird (A Flying Cat Story)" which really sets the tone by bashing down all those rules and how thing are. The Acknowledgements and Foreward are also worth stopping to read, and I hope like me you are chuckling out loud on your sofa, on a train, or even sitting on the porcelain throne.

I enjoyed this book immensely and plan to look out for Double Dead later in the year.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 23 August 2012
A collection of Chuck Wendig's short stories. If you like Chuck's style then this'll be more of the same, albeit in a shorter format.

If you don't know his writing then this might be a good introduction - although, by necessity of the format, his character development isn't on show so much as in the novels (Blackbirds: (Angry Robot): 1,Double Dead and Bait Dog: An Atlanta Burns Novel).

The stories are well constructed, unusual, typically dark and sometimes downright gruesome - I enjoyed every one.
on 23 August 2013
Very good short stories, with enough variety to keep you startled and sometimes very sad. Lots of adrenaline, semi-familiar situations that turn weird, and genres you feel you know that then twist a little.
on 1 October 2013
As one story finished, I was eager to start the next one. Some heartbreaking stories, some heart warming ones. Some horrific episodes, some delightful ones. All of it very well written and compelling. Chuck is a master of the writing craft and his imagination must be a delight and a terror to live with at the same time... But never dull!!
on 19 January 2014
Once again Chuck Wendig has proved that he creates fascinating compelling characters that pull you into their lives and leave you wanting more.

Each of these stories is an enchanting glimpse into a weird twisted world that is fun to visit - but you probably wouldn't want to live there!
on 27 December 2013
The first story rather lulled me into a false sense of security, a nice horror story. Then things took a turn for the nastier - great book.
on 29 May 2014
This is a great collection of short stories connected by the common theme of, you guessed it, irregular creatures. When browsing for a new Chuck Wendig read, I was struck by the cover and couldn’t pass up the book.

The stories are all well written and, for the most part, intriguing and enjoyable. The tone of the stories and the way Chuck tells them reminded me of Stephen King, and I’m sure I spotted a subtle nod to Hellraiser in one of the stories. Most are bizarre, some are amusing, and I’ll read all but one of them again.

Beware of Owner was the only one I wish I hadn’t read. It’s a very short one but the animal cruelty in it is something I see too much of in the real world and don’t want to see in fiction, too.

The Kindle edition I read suffered from some typos and spelling errors, as well as a spot of dodgy formatting. A shame, because the standard of storytelling and the overall presentation of the book is fantastic, so I’m not letting it affect my star rating.
on 9 October 2014
Great twists and turns, enjoyable read.
on 14 August 2014