5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic
Published on 11 April 2012 by D. Tolmie

3.0 out of 5 stars The mic is good but the apps are overpriced
The apps that you can download and all the extra in apps purchases you need to buy in order to make the mic worthwhile - basically in the end it becomes very expensive and I probably could've bought something better.
Published 13 months ago by Darin

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 11 April 2012
D. Tolmie "Duncan" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: iRig Mic Handheld Microphone for Audio and Vocal Recordings Compatible with iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad - Black / Silver (Electronics)
For my own amusement, I write and record songs using Garageband on my iPad. Up till now, I have recorded my vocals by holding the iPad to my lips and singing into the iPad's internal mic, which is more than a little awkward (and looks kind of stupid). So I splashed out on the iRig mic, and I'm very pleased with it. There are three settings on the mic to suit the recording of various volumes. I have found the middle setting to be most useful for recording my vocals, although the mic has to be VERY close to my lips to get an acceptable recording level in Garageband. The recorded sound of my vocals is warm, although the mic's close proximity to my lips does produce some popping sounds on certain words. I'm still playing about with settings and position of the mic but I'm delighted with the its potential in Garageband.
The mic, however, takes on a new lease of life when used with IK Multimedia's own apps, Vocalive and iRig Recorder, free versions of which are available on Apple's app store for the iPad. The mic has definitely been optimised for these dedicated apps, so the quality of sound and increased gain are very apparent compared to within Garageband. My intention now is to record all my instrumental tracks in Garageband, then import the recording into Vocalive, where I can add my vocals using all the available effects built into the app. Unfortunately, this requires Vocalive to be upgraded from the free app, which costs a whopping 25.00 if it's to include the 8 track recorder. A lot of money, but at a total of 54.00 for Vocalive and the mic (I got it for 29.00 on Amazon), I think it's money well spent. All in all I'm absolutely delighted with my iRig Mic, and can highly recommend it.
Finally, a word on delivery. I ordered the iRig mic on Good Friday, so because it was the Easter weekend I thought it would take ages to arrive. Unexpectedly, I took delivery on the following Tuesday, so five stars for delivery.

5.0 out of 5 stars mic, 21 Oct 2013
I use the irig mic on my ipads to sing on various programs and I find it gives out a lovely clear audio and not heavy bass like some mics

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good but not long lasting, 9 Aug 2012
Mr. B. J. Curry (Derby, England) - See all my reviews
I picked this up in April 2011. It's now Aug 2012, I've used the mic around a dozen times, a little less than once a month. I use it to record episode for my podcast when I am out on location so when I say used the mic, I mean it been on site with me for the duration of the weekend, and used for around 20 hours of recording over the last year. The sound quality is pretty good for a hand held mic that plugs into the headphone jack! You can obviously tell it not studio quality, but it doesn't sound like its been recorded on a phone either, especially after some cleaning up of the sound during editing.

Overall I was very happy with the mic and would give 5 stars.

The bad bits however are that mic has now stopped working. It seems like a faulty cable where it enters the mic. It is the only part that does actuall seem 'cheap' and poor quality. I'm going to open it up and try to replace the cable.

I recommended this mic to a friend who used it in a similar way to mine, his lasted 8 months.

So overall I'll give 4 stars as I think even buying a new one every year it's a great price.

3.0 out of 5 stars The mic is good but the apps are overpriced, 31 May 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars iRig Mic, 24 April 2012
This is a great Mic for the price and records well with three different settings dependent on the sound source. Perfect for podcasts and I've used for putting music performances on Facebook. Beware it only records in mono but it is very easy to use with the iphone and enables you to monitor through headphones as you record.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 30 Jan 2012
I love love love this!! Been waiting for something like this and here it is!! Great quality and mixed with vocalive and garage band I have a whole studio!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Just the job for recordings on the road, 21 Feb 2014
This is not a high-quality professional microphone, but for interviews on the move, I've found it perfect. It looks the part too, and simply plugs into an iPhone and uses any recording app. For the price, it's a steal.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not impressed, 30 July 2013
Not impressed
Too much background noise , vocalive works better with xlr mic plugged into apogee jam, works silently due to 30 pin i pad plug

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, 17 May 2013
Good product, but it's a bit vague about getting the full use ut of the software. OK so it comes with free stuff, but there's not much you can do with it once you have it you realise you need the big boy versions of the apps, which of course cost. However, overall pretty good

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome build quality, 27 Mar 2013
I. Blackford "Ian Blackford Design Conscious ... (Telford Shropshire UK) - See all my reviews
I use this mic with my iPad and some recording software to record training sessions. It has a settings that allows the smallest of noise (or someone speaking who's not so close) to be heard and recorded. There are other settings too that cancel out the background noise.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›