5.0 out of 5 stars Cracking canoe!
Published on 30 Aug 2011 by MTW

1.0 out of 5 stars hate it going to retry
l found this Tahiti very unstable l am going to try again but not holding up much hope for sucsess
Published 2 days ago by sid javes

5.0 out of 5 stars Cracking canoe!, 30 Aug 2011
This review is from: Sevylor Tahiti 2 Person Kayak (Sports)
I'm experienced with a kayak, but bought this to give my four-year-old and seven-year-old a taste of canoeing. I was somewhat concerned about how it would handle, especially as some people said you must have the skeg to help it stay straight, but I was delighted to discover that wasn't necessary in the slightest, even using the boat on a strong tide and with a stiff breeze (good job really, since absolutely no-one seems to have any skegs in stock any more and don't seem to expect any until 2012!).

The Tahiti will turn on a sixpence but is quite happy to keep a straight line. I can see how beginners might have to practice that (my brother-in-law had a go and did struggle a bit), but with perseverance you'd soon get the hang of it.

It inflates incredibly quickly with the Sevylor hand pump. I was amazed how easy it was. Some people have said it was a long reach over the sides of the boat with the paddles but, to be honest, I didn't find that for an instant. There's plenty of clearance and you sit perfectly high up. I'm only just touching 5'7" and I was very comfortable.

I'm very enthusiastic about this product - its performance far exceeded my expectations, even using it on the sea in an estuary with a notoriously fast tide. It's equally good if you stick your seat in the middle position and go it alone.

It deflates quickly and rolls up in no time. The trickiest part of the whole procedure was figuring out how to fasten the straps round it. The instructions on this are poor, to say the least, but search YouTube because there are videos that demo it and it all becomes clear quickly. I thought the backpack idea was a bit of a gimmick, but it turned out to be invaluable to get the kayak to and from the car with all of the other paraphernalia and is perfectly comfortable for a ten or 15-minute stint.

We got the Sevylor split paddles which I used joined together. They were light, effective and comfortable to handle.

All-in-all, I'm delighted with this purchase. I was hugely surprised at how good the Tahiti is. As the boys get older we might just buy a second one for whole-family outings!

4.0 out of 5 stars Early days, but looking good, 30 July 2011
This review is from: Sevylor Tahiti 2 Person Kayak (Sports)
Bought this a month or so ago but, with the usual British summer weather, we've only just started using it.

It seems quite well made and is quite easy to inflate, although there are a number of different types of valves on the kayak. The ones on the seats and the splash covers don't have seals on the valves to stop the air coming out while your inflating them so you have to be very quick getting the cap onto the valve when they're fully inflated.

The extras we bought for this were the paddles and the Sevylor pump, which is very effective. We didn't buy the skeg which others recommend but found we didn't need it. I'm not experienced with a kayak but didn't have any problems controlling it so I wont bother purchasing the skeg.

It is quite heavy to carry, even with the rudimentary straps, but hopefully that means the material is a reasonable thickness.

I'm not sure I'd want to use this for two adults as it would be a tight squeeze, but for myself and one child it's a good size.

I'd certainly recommend this but, as I've said, I'm not a kayak expert so don't have anything to compare it against except cheaper plastic dinghies.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sevylor Tahiti, 24 Aug 2012
This review is from: Sevylor Tahiti 2 Person Kayak (Sports)
Bought this last month, so far I've only been to the beach in fairly shallow water. I'm really pleased with it, it handles much better than I expected. It's fairly quick and painless to inflate and also deflates really fast. I've only used it on my own (I'm 10st) - not sure what it would be like with two people. The bad points are the rubbish 'back-pack' straps - if you are a female they are positioned very wide which means they don't sit in the right place on your shoulders and because they have no padding and the kayak is so heavy, they cut into you. Might be more comfortable for a man but I can't carry it very far due to this. If a bit more thought had gone into the carrying aspect, it would be perfect.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for family, 30 July 2011
This review is from: Sevylor Tahiti 2 Person Kayak (Sports)
I bought this as my 10 year old daughter went kayaking at school and enjoyed it. This is a great kayak for she and I on the river. We're no experts and it probably wouldn't satisfy an enthusiast but is ideal for us. It inflates and deflates remarkably quickly with a Sevylor pump and tracks well with the extra skeet, which I would recommend - gives much more control. It's easy to carry using the backpack straps and has just enough room to store a bag too.

1.0 out of 5 stars hate it going to retry, 16 April 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars handy hint for sevytest gauge, 30 Aug 2013
Y. C. ANSELL (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sevylor Tahiti 2 Person Kayak (Sports)
ok - first time kayak buyer.
got tahiti promptly from amazon.
manual little or no help but put it all together - the sevytest gauge seemed to not be working.
i had inflated it using a mains airbed pump but it seemed perhaps a little soft.
called Coleman UK Ltd and they advised me to talk to someone at Meridian Zero. Spoke to Gordon who told me that the sevytest ALWAYS worked and that i should inflate the vessel more.
today i deflated the kayak and then inflated again. still sevytest did not appeat to be working.

EUREKA MOMENT OCCURRED!! - PUT SOME MORE AIR IN BY BLOWING INTO THE VALVES!!!
SEVTEST BLACK BIT RISES INTO THE GREEN AREA!!!!!

Airbed pump just not able to put enough pressure in!

I'll review the kayak when i've used it but thought this might be of help to other first timers like myself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 24 Aug 2012
This review is from: Sevylor Tahiti 2 Person Kayak (Sports)
i've had mine 18 months and we have had a lot of fun with it. got as i've a caravan and no room what with kids dogs bikes surf boards etc.

Use all over on our trips including river, canals and sea. Best trip at Padstow where we went from port out of Camel Inlet and went round coast.

Had me 14 stone, 2 boys 7/10 and dog in at one time. Couldn't get a skeg so made my own from ply but just bought one and is why I'm reviewing now. My wife can paddle very well as well with boys

Planning trip down Thames next month with mate who got a Rivera after seeing mine. Dog will be coming as well with full camp kit

4.0 out of 5 stars only with skeg, 5 July 2011
This review is from: Sevylor Tahiti 2 Person Kayak (Sports)
I would recommend it only with SKEG inside a gulf. It is difficult to use it without SKEG. I am not an experienced kayak user, so that might be the reason why i had some difficulties. The kayak's materials seem very good. i had many problems to keep it in a straight line (as i said before i am a beginner), either alone, or with another person.

4.0 out of 5 stars Can go as hand luggage, 7 Aug 2012
This review is from: Sevylor Tahiti 2 Person Kayak (Sports)
I've just got a 'Riviera' which is the same size as the Tahiti - and I thought 'Tahiti' people would like to know that the "deflated and rolled" size is much smaller than the size quoted - which is actually the BOX size.

It can certainly be taken on Easyjet as hand baggage.

Here are the actual Riviera figures as measured by me :54cm x 36cm x 18cm (not including the ONE double paddle the Riviera comes with). The figures above include a little tidying of the pack - but with no more force than a 5yr old could apply.

With a bit more force it is easy to fit it into the same volume of a slightly different shape - mine goes neatly into a hand-luggage wheelie case which (because of handles and wheels)is only 49 x 38 x 19 inside.

Amazon (and Sevylor) are doing themselves a disservice by implying the BOX SIZE is the size deflated and rolled.

I get hopping mad about this kind of marketing incompetence because with the correct figures they would probably sell twice as many - and be able to reduce the price considerably - so they would sell even more (after all who likes paying 95quid for something you could puncture tomorrow?).

I would recommend finding (or making) a suitable bag to protect it in transit.

Hope this helps - I haven't launched mine yet...

5.0 out of 5 stars Great kayak, 27 July 2012
This review is from: Sevylor Tahiti 2 Person Kayak (Sports)
Haven't been in a kayak for 20yrs but this one made it so easy, really stable and great fun to use. I'm not the smallest of people and this kayak took both myself and my son with ease and neither of us fell in. I would recommend this kayak to anybody who wants to start or is fairly capable in a canoe. It folds away really fast and stores easily in my garage. The only minor down side is that the shoulder straps aren't the most comfortable and it does not have a bow line but a 2 length of line from Go Outdoors soon remedied that.

ARRAY(0xa40b4c84)