5.0 out of 5 stars Cracking canoe!
Published on 30 Aug. 2011 by MTW

3.0 out of 5 stars Easy to setup
Took the kayak out to a lake this summer. Inflating was very quick. We used a manual pump. Feels very sturdy in the water. It was for my husband, 7 yr old daughter & myself.
My only thought was that maybe a hard plastic one would have been a better purchase. I felt the inflatable moved slower than a normal kayak.
It's not so light to just carry it off as a...
Published on 1 Oct. 2012 by jsj

5.0 out of 5 stars Cracking canoe!, 30 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Sevylor Tahiti Kayak (Sports)
I'm experienced with a kayak, but bought this to give my four-year-old and seven-year-old a taste of canoeing. I was somewhat concerned about how it would handle, especially as some people said you must have the skeg to help it stay straight, but I was delighted to discover that wasn't necessary in the slightest, even using the boat on a strong tide and with a stiff breeze (good job really, since absolutely no-one seems to have any skegs in stock any more and don't seem to expect any until 2012!).

The Tahiti will turn on a sixpence but is quite happy to keep a straight line. I can see how beginners might have to practice that (my brother-in-law had a go and did struggle a bit), but with perseverance you'd soon get the hang of it.

It inflates incredibly quickly with the Sevylor hand pump. I was amazed how easy it was. Some people have said it was a long reach over the sides of the boat with the paddles but, to be honest, I didn't find that for an instant. There's plenty of clearance and you sit perfectly high up. I'm only just touching 5'7" and I was very comfortable.

I'm very enthusiastic about this product - its performance far exceeded my expectations, even using it on the sea in an estuary with a notoriously fast tide. It's equally good if you stick your seat in the middle position and go it alone.

It deflates quickly and rolls up in no time. The trickiest part of the whole procedure was figuring out how to fasten the straps round it. The instructions on this are poor, to say the least, but search YouTube because there are videos that demo it and it all becomes clear quickly. I thought the backpack idea was a bit of a gimmick, but it turned out to be invaluable to get the kayak to and from the car with all of the other paraphernalia and is perfectly comfortable for a ten or 15-minute stint.

We got the Sevylor split paddles which I used joined together. They were light, effective and comfortable to handle.

All-in-all, I'm delighted with this purchase. I was hugely surprised at how good the Tahiti is. As the boys get older we might just buy a second one for whole-family outings!

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple, Tough, Stable, Fun, 24 April 2013
IMPORTANT TIP:
------------------------
If you don't intend to go kayaking with "passengers", I recommend one of this kayak's "baby brothers" (basically the single-seat versions) as they are more compact, lighter, and therefore more portable.

If, however, you intend to take friends/family out... this is the best I've come across (and I've tried about 6 others)

Let's start with the packaging and work from there:

The kayak comes in a reasonably-sized box, and is folded inside it along with a multi-lingual "manual" (nothing to it really) and puncture repair kit (more on that later). Since the entire package is wrapped in a transparent plastic bag inside the box, removal from the box is very simple.

Okay, let's get on to the product itself:

Before we get to the boat, it's worth noting (as others have said) that you need to buy a pump for it! The Sevylor 2x2Ltr double-action hand pump is simply brilliant for inflating this product, and total inflation time is under 5 minutes once you've had a practise.
Also, it doesn't come with the paddles, so you'll need to buy those separately (lots of options out there, so take your pick really)

Simple:
-------------

Remove the kayak from the package and release the two straps (not the velcro ones, the ones running through the compression locks) and unroll the boat. You'll note the blue section on the outside of the roll unfolds in the opposite direction to the rest of the boat itself, so consider this when orienting the thing if you're inflating it at the side of a river or lake! You need about 4 meters of jetty or suitable ground (no broken glass or anything that'll cut the material) to set up in.
With the boat unrolled, locate the inflation valve for the bottom section (at the rear of the kayak) and inflate this first.
Now, on the side pontoons there are very cool inflate/deflate valves. Make sure the valves' bottom sections are screwed in nice and tight (mine arrived loose so I had difficulty inflating the pontoons the first time I tried, but quickly found the problem and tightened up the deflate valve caps).
With the deflate valve caps tightened up, open up the inflate valves (which are part of the same valve assemblies ON TOP OF the deflate valves) and use your pump to inflate them. If you're using the Sevylor 2x2Ltr hand pump (recommended) simply inflate the pontoons until there is significant resistence on the pump (you'll know it when you feel it) then close up the valves securely (unlike some of the other valves, the side pontoon valves are pressure-sealed and air won't escape when you disconnect the pump).

Now inflate the splash guard covers on the ends of the kayak. You don't need to use the pump for this, as a single lung full of air will inflate them fully. Now, be careful here because you'll find they want to deflate immediately as soon as you stop blowing into them (slightly annoying). To prevent this, push the valve firmly before you release your lips (or pump if you're using one) and keep it held firmly down while closing the valves (this applies to the seats - discussed further down - too)

Now fold the two inflated end pieces (the blue sections) over the ends of the boat, attach them to the slide locks on each side of the boat and be sure to secure the shotcord (elastic cord) around each of the attachment points (this'll keep the splash guards in place and prevent water getting into the kayak on the ends).

Now comes the seats (which as others have said aren't exactly "brilliant", but not too bad once you've figured out how they work and get used to them.

Inflate the seats (I recommend using a pump for this, and you'll need to press the valves firmly down before you release the pump to prevent sudden deflation) you're going to use, then ensure that the straps attaching them to the kayak aren't twisted. Orient them towards the front of the kayak... you'll know they're facing the right way when the straps go BEHIND the seat backs!

Now here's a tip! The splash cover on the rear of the kayak contains a velcro-locking compartment on its underside. Place the puncture kit inside there and close it up nicely. This way, should you get a puncture while out on the water, you stand at least SOME chance of being able to seal it up (be that on the water or on land at the lake/riverside.

Tough:
-------------

The material is very rugged, and resistant to an impressive amount of abrasion (brushing up against rocks, roots, riverbed and even wooden jettys). I watched a video on YouTube before buying this one of a man in this kayak's baby brother (identical materials and construction, but smaller with only one seat) taking it through some rapids on a very fast-moving river. He brushed past lots of rocks and the thing held perfectly (no leaks).

Properly inflated, this kayak DOES NOT bend badly when you step into it (most inflatable boats do, and that's a bad thing). You can adjust your position confidently... but if the kayak does want to fold or warp where the weight is concentrated, it means you haven't inflated it properly (so pull it out of the water and add some air to the three main sections before taking it out into open waters)

Stable:
-------------
As I mentioned above, assuming you've properly inflated the kayak, it doesn't want to warp or bend when you get into or out of it (or when adjusting your position). It's remarkably stable (even when you're leaning to asist a rapid turn) and even if you did somehow roll it over, because it's inflatable it'll continue to float even if the interior filled with water. That's a good advantage to have if you have a tendency to roll kayaks (though the better solution would be to seek training to help you learn how to be more stable)

It sits higher in the water than wooden and fiberglass kayaks (makes sense... it's inflatable with a flat kiel) but because it has a flat kiel, it isn't as prone to rolling as wooden/fiberglass traditional kayaks.

Fun:
-------------

Well, if you've ever been kayaking or boating before, you already know it's fun. If you haven't and this is your first attempt... you're going to seriously enjoy it!
With it being so fast and simple to get this kayak ready for the water, and with it being so tough and stable... you'll be able to relax and enjoy your time on the water without worrying about sinking or ending up in the drink.

Bonus:
-------------
It packs so small that it fits easily into a car boot (I actually strap mine to the pillion seat of my motorbike). Solid kayaks require either a trailer or a roof rack... so this is a huge plus!

It's not particularly heavy (weighs less than 15kg, and feels substancially lighter than that when pulling it out of the water)

It rolls up into a sort-of "backpack" you can carry on your back (though I wouldn't recommend it as it's not terribly comfortable to carry in such a way). Fortunately the backpack straps are adjustable enough that you can carry it like a duffelbag (easier to do, more comfortable).

Get to know the kayak before you take it out to use. I unpacked it on my front lawn and spent about half an hour getting used to it (inflating it and figuring out what's what). That way you won't feel pressured by the desire to get it in the water (which can lead you to miss important things, and compromise your safety)

With two people aboard, there's a lot of extra room for carrying a picnic (or even camping gear). The max rated load is 200kg, but (though obviously you should use your best judgement as your experience may vary) I've had around 250kg in it and it still sat high in the water (without incident).

Remember if you're going out as two adults and one child, place one adult at the front, one at the back, and the child in the middle (optimal boyancy).

Enjoy :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Purchase In A While!, 4 April 2011
Amazon Customer (West Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sevylor Tahiti Kayak (Sports)
Having wanted a kayak for a long time, but being put off by having to carry it to the canal and the possibility of it being stolen when keeping it outside, I was curious as to how good a substitute this product would be. I really, really like this product - I wish I'd have bought one earlier.

First off, you will need a pump, which I didn't buy with this product. I'd assumed that I'd have some ends for a bicycle pump that would fit it, but alas no. I ended up buying one very similar to this: Sevylor 2X2L Hand Pump Foot Pump (which also looks pretty similar to my bicycle pump that was no good), so I'd recommend you buy the pump with the boat. I thought that pumping the boat up would take a long time, however this was not the case and I'd be very surprised if it takes anyone more than five minutes. First you inflate the floor of the boat with the valve in the back of the boat. Then you inflate the two side chambers, which have different valves to the previous one - these unscrew in two parts, the lower part needs to be screwed on while inflating. Lastly, you inflate the two small air chambers on the front and rear splash guards, though these wouldn't really make any difference to the boat floating. Now you're ready to go!

While I do plan on using the boat in both rivers and the sea (though, obviously not a really windy sea given that it's an inflatable), I have only used it in a canal so far. There's not a great deal to say here, other than it performed as expected (ie didn't sink!). When you paddle, it does rotate a little more than a standard kayak, which is probably because it's much lighter and sits higher in the water. Oh, and swans don't seem to like it...

Being a reasonably heavy adult male, there is no way that this boat would (if the maximum weight limit is to be believed) hold three people, even if one of those was a child. Though it does work great for two people and would even hold two of me. There's also space in an area behind the back seat where you can put your drinks and some food - just make sure you wrap it up in waterproof packaging.

When it comes to time to deflate the boat, you'll also want to dry it or wipe it dry with a towel. Deflation is straight forward, though having a pump that also deflates helps. Getting the boat back into it's backpack form wasn't straight forward at first, until I stopped folding it and tried rolling it up instead. The fact that the boat rolls up into a backpack is a massive plus, meaning you can take the kayak on a train to some water!

Lastly, don't forget you'll need at least one paddle: Sevylor K-Perf230 Kayak Double Paddle Aluminium Shaft Inflatable Accessory - Black.

5.0 out of 5 stars Canoe review, 13 July 2011
This review is from: Sevylor Tahiti Kayak (Sports)
I bought this canoe as a cheap alternative to a wood/fibreglass canoe, and I've been really pleased with it. I was initially concerned about it's stability, but in fact it is probably more stable than a non-inflatable canoe. For my needs it's ideal, as I just take it down the calm, peaceful river Wye, and I'm not planning on taking it down any jagged-rocked rapids or over waterfalls. It's durable enough to take knocks and scrapes, so there's no need to worry anyway. One thing I'd agree with from previous reviews is the seats. They're rubbish! However this is a small price to pay for the comparative value of the canoe, and I'm planning on rigging a make-shift strap to make the seats more supportive. I would highly recommend this for anyone looking for some good value fun on the water!

3.0 out of 5 stars Easy to setup, 1 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Sevylor Tahiti Kayak (Sports)
It's not so light to just carry it off as a backpack either. Two of us carried it down to the water.
The front seat supports could be better too.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sevylor Tahiti, 24 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Sevylor Tahiti Kayak (Sports)
Bought this last month, so far I've only been to the beach in fairly shallow water. I'm really pleased with it, it handles much better than I expected. It's fairly quick and painless to inflate and also deflates really fast. I've only used it on my own (I'm 10st) - not sure what it would be like with two people. The bad points are the rubbish 'back-pack' straps - if you are a female they are positioned very wide which means they don't sit in the right place on your shoulders and because they have no padding and the kayak is so heavy, they cut into you. Might be more comfortable for a man but I can't carry it very far due to this. If a bit more thought had gone into the carrying aspect, it would be perfect.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sevylor Tahiti, 12 Jun. 2012
This review is from: Sevylor Tahiti Kayak (Sports)
Myself and my hubby Ian, purchased this kayak, so we could put it in the boot and store it easy, when not in use. It is exellent for this purpose and great value for money we love it and our miniture dashund pickles also loves it as he likes to go along as well. The only thing i will say is, it is perfect for to average size adults and a small child or dog but not three adults unless very slim and small framed.It inflatted & deflated very quickly with the hand pump we also bought and rudder. (not sure thats what its called but steering with this is easy).All i can advice is that, When you first inflate it take the pump on your first journey as on our first trip on the canal, it was a very hot day and one side of the kayak seamed to be going down very slowly so we had to stop and blow it up with our mouth it wasn't hard to do but it was due to the heat and we have not had any problems since. I am over the moon and cannot wait to go out soon as the rain stops. THIS IS AN EXELLENT PURCHASE WORTH EVERY PENNY.... ALONG WITH YEARS OFF FUN AS VERY GOOD QUALITY..

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous product!, 30 April 2012
Darren. (Swindon, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sevylor Tahiti Kayak (Sports)
As recommended I bought this kayak with the £11 pump and was glad I did, you would not want to be blowing this up in any other way, it's quick and powerful and gives you a good workout to boot!

When I first blew it up I was delighted with the size and look of it. It is sturdy, good looking and nothing like the kind of seaside dingy look I was half expecting!

Reading some of the previous reviews I was a bit worried about not having a skeg (which seem to be unavailable worldwide!?) as people were talking about going round in circles. Turns out this is just if you are not very good at paddling. We were a bit worried about this when we first took it on the Thames in Wiltshire, and so launched it out of site of any potential observers.

we blew it up, (very quickly) stowed all our stuff on board including small dog and tentatively pushed out onto the river from a small beachy area, (after waiting for a bunch of people in 'real' canoes to go by first!) To our delight it went fabulously! We originally had two single paddles from an old blow up dingy, we did great with these but have since got double paddles, which is much better, faster and gives us more manoeuvrability.

On our return we pulled up at the jetty outside the pub, and at the same time a couple with a 'real' canoe were also disembarking. We felt slightly embarrassed by our 'pseudo' canoe but that soon wore off as we watched them struggle with foam padding, ropes and straps while loading it onto the car roof. Meanwhile we strolled by with our deflated canoe on our back, popped it in the boot and went for a beer!

We have now been on the Thames, on the canals and on the sea, paddling between two bays in Kent, great fun!

This is the good bit... Unfortunately on our last river trip we noticed that one side of the canoe was gently deflating. We assumed we must have somehow got a puncture, but couldn't figure out how as we have been very careful with it. It turns out that actually one part of the seam between the bottom and the side had slightly split and there was no way the puncture repair kit was going to fix it. So this saturday morning we emailed Amazon who called us immediately back. Upon hearing our story they offered to send us a new canoe and pick up the old one! I'm writing this on Monday afternoon and the old one has been picked up and the new one has arrived!! I can honestly say I have never had such superb customer service! Astonishing and brilliant!

Hopefully this is not a standard fault with this boat but Sevylor have a great reputation so I'm guessing this is not a common occurrence. All in all if you're like us, and not too serious but want to get out on the water and have some fun, then I'd highly recommend this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent family fun, 14 July 2011
This review is from: Sevylor Tahiti Kayak (Sports)
This is an excellent starter kayak if you want to find out whether this is for you or if you just want to have the occasional fun on the water. We used it in rivers and the sea and it was very good. However, this is only suitable for calm waters. Took it camping and all the kids loved it, it was never really out of the water, it took quite a beating and still survived. This is advertised as a 2 adult, 1 child kayak, this would be true if you were quite light weight and skinny, with short legs and with a small child. If you are a more sturdy built adult then this is more a 1 adult, 2 children kayak. Nevertheless, it is great fun and I can only recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Early days, but looking good, 30 July 2011
This review is from: Sevylor Tahiti Kayak (Sports)
Bought this a month or so ago but, with the usual British summer weather, we've only just started using it.

It seems quite well made and is quite easy to inflate, although there are a number of different types of valves on the kayak. The ones on the seats and the splash covers don't have seals on the valves to stop the air coming out while your inflating them so you have to be very quick getting the cap onto the valve when they're fully inflated.

The extras we bought for this were the paddles and the Sevylor pump, which is very effective. We didn't buy the skeg which others recommend but found we didn't need it. I'm not experienced with a kayak but didn't have any problems controlling it so I wont bother purchasing the skeg.

It is quite heavy to carry, even with the rudimentary straps, but hopefully that means the material is a reasonable thickness.

I'm not sure I'd want to use this for two adults as it would be a tight squeeze, but for myself and one child it's a good size.

I'd certainly recommend this but, as I've said, I'm not a kayak expert so don't have anything to compare it against except cheaper plastic dinghies.

Sevylor Tahiti Plus Kayak - 2 + 1 Person