5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for young children
Our son is three and a half years old and a Spider-Man fanatic. We were a bit dubious about buying some of the newer DVDs as they can be a bit too violent. My husband suggested we go back to basics and purchase the older makes and they are great. This DVD is age appropriate for him and quite mild in terms of some of the fighting scenes. Even we enjoy watching it.
Published on 17 May 2012 by Imoley

3.0 out of 5 stars Not As Good As You Remember!
Published on 22 Sept. 2011 by Jimmy Stix

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for young children, 17 May 2012
This review is from: Original Spider-Man - Season 1 - 3 Complete Box Set [DVD] (DVD)

5.0 out of 5 stars Which languages?, 5 April 2012
flyinghyphen "flyinghyphen" (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Languages (all three seasons) English - Dolby Digital (2.0) Stereo

Subtitles Season 1: German ; Dutch ; Swedish ; Norwegian ; Danish ; Finnish. Seasons 2 & 3: German ; Dutch

3.0 out of 5 stars Not As Good As You Remember!, 22 Sept. 2011
Jimmy Stix (Sheffield, England) - See all my reviews
Let me state here and now that I absolutely loved Spider-Man as a kid and still have a real fondness for him at age 44. Always my favourite Marvel superhero. I loved his vulnerability and the fact that Peter Parker struggled with the responsiblity his powers brought him. My brother was into the Fantastic Four and The Hulk and whilst I took an interest in the whole "Marvel Universe", the Spider-Man stories captivated me the most.
I was thrilled therefore to find that I could finally get the original cartoon series in a box set and relive those after school memories with the old "webslinger" and perhaps a bag of penny sweets. Oh dear, it is so much easier as a child to suspend disbelief isn't it? The passage of time has made me see that some of the animation techniques and production values of this series were pretty poor.
Don't get me wrong, it's great to see all those old villains and characters again but there are many episodes here that are best described as being thrown together. I understand that budgets were reduced after Series 1 and it shows. Endless use of stock footage to pad out the story, of Spidey swinging round the rooftops plonked onto any kind of background. This really does get tedious after a while and so do the garish colours of the poorly drawn backgrounds in use by Series 2. The production team also re-used footage from their earlier effort "Rocket Robin Hood" too, in some cases almost entire episodes.
There are some really strange animation sequences used such as when Spidey is supposedly "creeping up" on someone. He looks really bizarre and it had me crying with laughter. Some of the fight sequences and sound effects look as if they used ideas they saw on "Scooby Doo". Check out the really bad mistake on the title sequence too with the "Jewlery" store sign. Tee Hee! I never noticed that 35 years ago! That said, I am still glad I purchased this, anything that brings back a bit of my childhood once in a while is well worth it. Just don't watch too many in one sitting is my advice. Otherwise you may find yourself picking fault every few minutes and wanting to throw the remote at the screen when you see your "Friendly Neighbourhood Spider-Man" swinging round the Brooklyn Bridge for the 20th time!

5.0 out of 5 stars Spiderman does what ever a spider can..., 22 Aug. 2011
All of the Original 1960's episodes in 1 place. Meet Vulture, Dr Octopus & all the villians in the original Spiderman comics.
Fun to watch for those who remember it fondly & for those who have never seen it before. Suitable for young & old. You'll be singing along to that catchy 1960's theme song in no time...

5.0 out of 5 stars Here comes the SPIDERMAN!!.., 27 Sept. 2012
Wow, this takes me back! A great set that has been very hard to find, for me. A similar region 1 release has been out of print for some time, and worth quite a bit of money now. I am SO glad I found this on the UK site, for a decent price. Comes nicely packaged, with great artwork on the discs and box. A pity it didn't come with English subtitles too, but. I am just glad to have this set, really fantastic animation and music! Ahhh.. memories. :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Webtastic Spiderfans!, 5 Mar. 2011
There's nothing really to say other than brilliant. The original series from the 60s, this is just fan-flipping-tastic. And £25 for 17 HOURS of Spidey action?! Amazing.

5.0 out of 5 stars BRILLIANT CARTOONS!!!, 15 Aug. 2011
Loved these as a pup -
Nobody ever forgot the theme tOOn!!!

Watching them now in my 40's I am pleased to say that they hold up very well.

52 episodes & 17+ hrs is a lot of viewing to digest of this sort of thing, but space them out a bit and they are highly entertaing & great fun.

I've chuckled a lot at the villians who are all DASTARDLY EVIL meglomaniacs!!!

It's cool to see how they are portrayed relatively close to their early appearances in the Amazing Spider-Man comics.

Lizard, mysterio etc etc they are all here.

They are an aside to Spideys comic book greatness but no surprise there bearing in mind the target audience.

The soundtrack is fab and J.J is as hilarious as ever.

Transfers and the presentation of the box are spot on.

(I'd have liked a making of featurette - but, hey-ho)

This is a real treat for any nostalgic Marvelite and Spidey fan.

5/5

May I also I HIGHLY recommend the 'Spider-Man : Reflections of a super hero' cd which is a reissue of a 70's album.
Equally as fun & cheap!

4.0 out of 5 stars A must have for true Spider-Man fans!, 4 Dec. 2012
I bought this for my little boy who is 3 1/2 and Spiderman mad! This is the original Spiderman I watched as a boy although it was made the year I was born It didn't disappoint him he loves it. It is a little dated now With poor graphics and cheesy dialogue But very good harmless fun all the same And the original Spiderman theme tune is just to die for! At about £1.50 an hour for entertainment I think this buy was well worth The money.

5.0 out of 5 stars classic, and the kids will love it !, 25 Nov. 2013
I remember watching these during the school summer holidays in the late 70s and early 80s.

The story lines and animation have stood the test of time, and kids brought up in the 'Manga' art generation will not be disapointed.

All the usual villans and charachters are here.

I absolutely love this box set, at the age of 42 !

5.0 out of 5 stars Great entertainment, 30 Jan. 2014
L. Plummer "Leapelle" (UK) - See all my reviews
I am so pleased I purchased this for my son. Just as entertaining as I remember and the most offensive insult is when Spider-Man is called 'webhead' by one aspiring villian. Such a nice alternative to the often violent offerings we now see in childrens animation.

Original Spider-Man - Season 1 - 3 Complete Box Set [DVD]