4.0 out of 5 stars Nearly perfect
In summary.

Pros:
1. Big internet upload/download speed improvement over my old 3Com combo modem/router/switch
2. Improved reliability over my old 3Com - fewer timeouts and dropped VPN connections
3. Big speed improvement in wireless performance between 802.11n and 802.11g
4. VPN passthrough support less tolerant than old 3Com (also a con,...
Published on 10 Aug 2010 by S. Peacock

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed
Having read previous reviews I was rather disappointed with the performance of this router.
Published on 25 Oct 2010 by Peter N

4.0 out of 5 stars Nearly perfect, 10 Aug 2010
S. Peacock "Stuart" (Coggeshall, UK) - See all my reviews
In summary.

Pros:
3. Big speed improvement in wireless performance between 802.11n and 802.11g
4. VPN passthrough support less tolerant than old 3Com (also a con, see below)

Cons:
1. Requirement for an external ethernet modem (a nuisance and cost but not a big deal)
2. VPN passthrough support less tolerant than old 3Com - took several days of trouble-shooting which eventually required a Cisco VPN client upgrade - not the router's fault, but a pain
3. 5GHz 802.11n wireless range very limited (to be expected)
4. 2.4GHz 802.11n wireless range more limted than 802.11g (to be expected, but more limited than I expected)
5. Harder to see DSL connection status, faults, diagnostics when using an external modem makes fault finding trickier
6. (getting very picky now) Can light up a room with its array of very bright LEDs

Bottom line:
Excellent, dearer than basic products but works well. Not for the novice.

In detail.

I bought this as a replacement for a 4 year old 3Com 802.11G DSL modem/router/hub. I wanted dual band wireless N (with both bands simultaneously active - look carefully, many other products don't do this, the giveaway is normally the price, if it's much less than £100 it probably isn't simultaneous), but also wanted gbit wired ports too.

Having shopped around a bit I settled on this as being the nearest to my requirements. To move closer to perfection it would have had to have had a built in DSL modem, but in all my searching I couldn't find a simultaneous dual-band wireless N device with gbit ports and a built in DSL modem, there is just about every other permutation of the various technologies, but as of now, no-one (I looked at Netgear, Linksys, D-Link, Vigor and a few other more obscure brands) seems to combine all three.

The above is an important point. For those who haven't read or don't understand the specs of this device, you cannot connect it directly to a BT (or other provider) ADSL (broadband) connection. You need a separate ethernet modem. Other reviewers have marked this router down because of this point, but it's perfectly clear from the spec and if you don't understand this or what you need to use to overcome this, then it's probably not the product for you. Because of the lack of a built in modem I've combined mine with a separate Ethernet Modem (I've used a Vigor V120, but I'm sure Netgear's own product would do the job just as well).

I had a big problem getting my company's VPN client to work through this and was about to return the router as a result. However, some extensive testing revealed the problem to be with the ancient version of the Cisco VPN client I was using, not with the router. A VPN client upgrade fixed my problem and it's been solid as a rock since. The dificulty here is that the router provides very little diagnostic and logging detail and combined with the need to use an external modem, makes diagnostics rather tricky. Don't let this put you off though.

The 802.11n range on both 5GHz and 2.4GHz signals is more limited than the range of my old 802.11g device, but this is to be expected. It is quite a bit more limited than I had expected though. My old 802.11g device could happily deliver a reliable (though poor) signal through two thick walls across a range of about 30M. The 5GHz signal barely makes it through a single wall and only about 30M with no obstruction at all. The 2.4GHz signal can penetrate the walls but won't reach as far as the old 802.11g device did. However, it is running at higher data rates, so I'm not surprised by this and the beauty of having simultaneous 2.4GHz & 5GHz signals is that it doesn't matter if the range of the 5GHz signal is short because you can still pick up the 2.4GHz.

If you're connecting this to a DSL broadband connection, this is not one for the novice. You'll need to know what you've bought, what else you need to make it work and how to configure it. It's not complicated, but does require a small amount of knowledge or (heaven forbid) reading the manual.

Overall I'm really pleased. My Internet speeds and reliability have improved and the wireless performance is far better. Getting to the bottom of my VPN issues was a pain, but this isn't really the router's fault, it just didn't give me a lot of information to help in diagnosing the problem. Would definitely recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quick and easy setup, 27 Aug 2013
Alison Mckinley (Somerset, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Netgear N300 Wireless Router with USB (Accessory)
I was needlessly nervous about setting up wireless having had nightmares with older routers in the early wifi days and having only basic technical knowledge but this was a breeze - virtually plug and play meant I was up and running within a few minutes without having to use a cd. Clear instructions included but the only omission was that near the end of the wizard although it says you are connected you will need to go into your network settings to ask your pc to recognize the netgear signal as it will initially not connect automatically - after doing this it connects immediately to both my iPad and laptop - signal is excellent but range not fully tested as always fairly close to it. Stand provided giving the space saving option of sitting vertically.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works as Infinity Home Hub Replacement, 4 Aug 2014
A Cactus "Andy Cactus" (NW UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Using as a direct replacement of an old BT Home Hub 3 (HH3) on their Infinity, since this service has a separate OpenReach modem with ethernet cable to the HH3. (Guess it would be good for HH4 and HH5 users too). Note you will no longer be a BT WiFi hotspot with this unit.

Infinity Swap out:
Found the NETGEAR WNDR3700v4 on offer and took the plunge for what I hoped would be the quickest fix to my fading WiFi speed problem and happy to say I was not disappointed. Only needed to know the BT WAN username, set PPPoE and put in my encryption keys and was up and running in a basic form in minutes. It picks up the BT DNS numbers which you may wish to change.

Used the existing OpenReach ethernet cable to connect WAN side and existing ethernet cables to the LAN ports. Bingo and no more daily decay of WiFi LAN/WAN speeds. Once that was going it was trivial to fill in my own options recreating the same network I had before on wired, 2.4GHz and now also on 5GHz.

Size and Look:
The NETGEAR is a lot wider than the BT HH3 so be aware if standing it on end on a limited height shelf. If someone hates the sight of Tech lights also be aware this has has a lot more colourful LEDS than a HH3. Just put a fairy on top in December.

Configuration Options:
As with the BT box the web based configuration options are divided in to basic and advanced options however the NETGEAR offers more options as well as downloadable software to monitor and manage the device.

My favourite features are the more advanced readyshare & media serving and the upload/download usage meter which can be inspected graphically using the Apps for Windows, MacOSX and on phones/tablets (iOS and Android). It gives up/down usage tally on Today, Yesterday, this week, this month and last month but strangely not last week. I would like to see historical continuous plots over the last 24hrs period and a month of daily data totals. There is an average screen but what it omits to say is that it is a 24hr usage average for this week and 24hr average last month etc. On unlimited Infinity use stats may not seem so crucial to know but its good information for migration purposes. (Yes BT have a usage meter on your BT account page buried on their website but is of limited use, only gives current usage to the current day in month and then promptly deletes it on the end of last day leaving just an moving average monthly usage).

There is also a graphical representation of connected devices in the monitor Apps and I advise clicking on each of them and typing in your own custom device names and choosing an icon. This helps with seeing who/what is attached. Be aware though, if you cannot see an expected device, that a second screen is created when there are more than about 8 devices.

Another thing to note if doing a swap on Infinity is the BT HH3 tends to use a high number for the gateway address (192.168.1.254) where as the NETGEAR uses 192.168.1.1 by default. You can change this in the NETGEAR to match the .254 if you want or alternatively you change this on all static IP devices you may have set up. If you just do DHCP then you are good to go anyway.

Good to know:
* By default all the WAN side ports seem to be off and stealthy and the WAN side login is also off.
* Only very basic printed manuals are supplied so I recommend downloading the full user guide pdf from their website. Search engine term "202-11005-06" gets to the Jan 2014 version of manual.
* Once you are confident your WAN is working install the firmware updates from within the web interface.

Points to watch:
* You cannot have the free BT WiFi service running for visitors who have that and you will might loose your own access elsewhere although for now I still seem to be OK. But you can set up your own Guest Wifi network on both frequencies.
* There is no way to turn off WPS completely (beyond just disable WPS PIN)
* Instructions for changing the router admin login password should be more prominent and I would say should at least feature in the Basic screen. It's buried in Advanced > Administration > Set Password
* All the factory passwords for the unit are on the base of the unit in text and in barcodes. Change all of them and again make sure WPS PIN is off.

5.0 out of 5 stars Super Simple, Super Fast, The best product I have bought this year !!, 6 Dec 2009
A. Baxter (UK) - See all my reviews
Decided it was time to move with the times, since wireless Internet arrived in our household around 7 years ago in the guise of a Bullalo GR54...oh how things have changed !

One button press on the Netgear WNDR3700 followed by a button press on, 2 laptops, Canon MP 620 printer and a Netgaeat 5ghz access point and away you go.

Also my Office PC via gigabyte ethernet, A PS3 via gigabyte ethernet, daughters pc via gigabyte ethernet.

So, So easy, no assigning IPs or anything like that, I have added a Freecom 250gb external usb hard drive to the network via the WNDR3700s USB, put a music folder, movie folder and homework folder.

This Router is superb, nothing upsets it, as I write this Daughter 1 is watching streamed movie, Daughter 2 is playing an online game via laptop and wife is watching a movie downstairs via the 5ghz link and its all running so smooth.

I paired this up with a netgear WNHDE111 access point that I got off ebay, again one putton push and away we go. That is situated diagonaly opposite in the house (ie one floor down, three rooms away 25m...ish)hooked up to this is a the new AC Ryan Playon HD player and again as I write it is streaming HD quality with full DTS sound out put.

With this setup I do not need to turn on my main PC to stream media anywhere in the house (or street)the WNDR 3700 also has a simple button on the front to press and turn off both networks, thereby saving power and reducing exposure to RF.

As soon as I hooked the unit up it asked if I wanted to update firmware, I said OK, it did it automaticaly and asked for a restart, since then pure plain sailing, no dropped connections, no glitching whilst streaming.I hope 5ghz stays this good, but as the word spreads I guess it will get a little crowded down here!

I do not know what else is out there that beats this router for function and performance, I read up, and read up and read up, then finally selected this over a dlink 855, OK it was a bit more expensive but not by much.

Bought through Amazon Marketplace, usual speedy delivery, even though it was despatched from Germany.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Super League Router For Home Entertainment Networking, 3 Sep 2010
E. McKnight (Plymouth, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I was a little concerned to read some of the negative comments regarding this product before buying it. I needed to upgrade an ageing 54g router which had started to become unreliable. All the negative comments concern, speed of the router, wireless range, even it's capability of hooking up a USB hard disk to act as an NAS device. I have always had very positive experience of Netgear's networking products and this is no exception. For all the people who are disappointed with the performance or have problems with this router clearly do not know what they are doing. This device was a breeze to set up and works like a charm. I hooked up a 2Tb LaCie hard disk to the USB port - it worked straightaway so am able to stream HD content and uncompressed music wirelessly to various computers around a large house, My Xbox 360 saw the media streaming functions of the Router straight away there was no setup problems there, PS3 owners would also find it equally easy, I could also tune the Routers QoS functions to optimize its speed for online gaming. It has so many advanced networking features that are tailored to home entertainment network enthusiasts, and those people are who is router is really marketed at. If you are looking for something that will just make your internet quicker without changing anything else or give you greater range over a large area this is not the product for you and you need to be considering a different combination of home networking products to achieve that. Overall I am extremely impressed with the array of functions and performance of this router, I get blazingly quick wireless connection speeds on my laptop and desktop, and there are so many features to accommodate any current or future facet of wireless entertainment networking for the home, that you just can't go wrong with this device. A super-league router, that packs an abundance of useful features into an expected higher price tag, but is ultimately worth every penny.

5.0 out of 5 stars Big Thumbs Up! Virgin Media 50Mb cable user, 25 Jun 2010
Mark (Cambridge, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Bought this product after experiencing terrible speed performance with the standard D-Link router provided by Virgin Media. I realised it must be the router as my internet experience was completely different once I connected my laptop directly to the modem via an ethernet LAN cable.

What a huge difference this new router has made! Very happy with this product!

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 25 Oct 2010
Whilst it's great when connected hard wired I found it a complete flop using it as a Wireless router (which is what I bought it for, the signal, even 2 rooms away is very poor, no higher than 70Mbs and low signal, and that's using the dual transmission speeds i.e. 2.4MHz and 5MHz which doesn't even come close to my old D-Link router.
Should have taken notice of the minority comments on this one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Get the right firmware, 24 Jan 2011
Amazon Customer (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I bought this to replace my much loved Belkin N1 Vision which recently died. I paired it with a Draytek Vigor 120 and the two work perfectly together, with the Netgear handling the PPPoE connection to BT itself and the Vigor in pure bridge mode. I upgraded to the latest firmware (1.0.6.98) as soon as I got the Netager and regretted it immediately. Looking around the forums it seems 1.0.4.68 is the current sweet spot and things have worked beautifully since I installed that. The '4' and '6' in the firmware numbers appear to refer to the IP version support and I have no need for IPv6 at present so rolling back was no great loss.

So, first impressions are that the device is nowhere near as attractive as the Belkin. The pictures you see on the web flatter it and the side they don't show has labels and text and fitting holes etc. The Belkin sat proudly on my desk, whereas this device needs to be hidden. The build quality is very slightly suspect too, with the on/off switch on the back feeling very flimsy. Not too much of a worry as I leave the device on 24/7, but I have had a Netgear power switch fail before and they fail in the off state. Also, its not possible to turn the LEDs off, which is a bit of a pain if the device sits in a bedroom or you generally want it to be inconspicuous. How often do you really need to look at the flashing lights?

However, the real reason I bought this device was for functionality, not appearance, and this is where the device shines. My PS3 connects wirelessly and I can now watch iPlayer streamed flawlessly and without stutter, even while someone else is streaming Seesaw or TVCatchup on their laptop. Couldn't do that before so the Netgear/Vigor pair are certainly doing something right. Wireless N speed seems to be a steady 200MB/s in most places in the house and 300MB/s if you're in the same room as the device.

I don't make too many exotic configurations on the device, but its DynDns functionality works nicely with OpenDns. Being able to filter the more unpleasant side of the Internet gives a parent a feeling of security, even if they know its not going to be perfect. Static IP reservations was something sorely missing from the Belkin and works well on the Netgear. I've turned on QoS also, although its hard to tell what benefit that is really giving. Certainly no adverse affects. The only down side to the web interface is that the device seems to need to reboot for even the most trivial change so initial setup can be a bit time consuming.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than I expected, a great upgrade and far better than the free ISP equipment, 26 Nov 2010
So I chose this to replace an aging Netgear WGR614 wireless g router that had given 5 years fault free service, but was starting to intermittently loose connectivity.

I'd recommend it to anyone, it's probably got more functionality than most people are granted on a professional work network, but it's easy to configure for the amateur. It's far better than anything I've ever received from an ISP (as you might expect). Having researched the Netgear website and read a few reviews of competitors I'd originally elected for the WNR1000 or WNR2000 until I found the highly speced WNDR3700 for a cheaper price (over £200 off RRP when I purchased).

Having received it, it was everything I expected from Netgear. Reasonably stylish, well made and so simple to set up. In about 15 minutes I transferred my existing network over to the new router including configuring my weird setup (am using an Orange LiveBox as a static IP ADSL router as I don't trust it's security/services and has limited connectivity) and re-configured all the attached wireless devices to access the new network.

The twin frequency wireless networks would be great if I had 5GHz devices to attach (I feel some more purchases coming!!) but the 2.4GHz is extremely stable.
I especially like the Guest Network feature that allows visitors to attach with alternative security, but not to access your own network files. Also means you don't have to give them your primary password.

As for the USB port connection to an external HD to create a networked hard-drive it was very easy to set up. It recognised my Maxtor straight away, searched it and when browsing on my DNLA enabled TV I could watch DVDs or videos and play MP3 files with no additional setup. Only negative was my Maxtor wasn't built to act as a DNLA server and it chunters away rather so have reverted it to a PC back-up drive pending the purchase of a dedicated server.

As for the parental controls I haven't got into that (kids not old enough yet to worry) but looking through the services you can limit when a network is available so can turn off the internet after they should have gone to bed!! (think about using guest network for games machine and keeping the prime one for yourself).
As you'd expect with Netgear software you can limit sites, blacklist stuff and restrict access by fixed IP so control others access to your hearts content.

Lastly the old WGR614 won't go to waste. The new WNR3700 supports pass through wi-fi services to a wi-fi repeater so by adding a power line network I can place the old equipment in any dead spots in the house and boost the signal on the same network. Though saying this I haven't found any dead spots yet, it's just reassuring that I could if I need to!!

Like the 5GHz wifi I haven't unleashed the gigabit wired connections due to the connecting equipment. However if you read the review that was disappointed the bundled cable was CAT5 not CAT5e or CAT6 remember that the bundled cable is to connect to the internet and does anyone out there have an ISP providing a service greater than 100Mb? I'm luck if I get 3!!

5.0 out of 5 stars The new benchmark, 1 Feb 2010
snaxo (St Albans , UK) - See all my reviews
This is an excellent product. Easy to set-up, packed with features. Handles a large number of clients (I have in the region of 15 devices connected) effortlessly. High throughput, strong wireless performance (the router is placed inside a cupboard upstairs and still the clients pick up a solid signal throughout the house). I've had it a few days now; been playing online games, downloading some files via torrent, have a VPN connection active to allow me to work from home - hasn't missed a beat, not a single dropout thus far. I've read that its Achilles heel may be its USB NAS connection performance but I have a separate stand alone NAS (which I'd recommend anyway) so not tested that.

It even looks like it will be supported by OPENwrt and DD-WRT in the future.

Thoroughly recommended - worth the asking price. Well done Netgear