Format: DVD|Change

on 12 March 2007
FANTASIA IS A CARTOON OF RARE BEAUTY , IT IS MAGNIFICENTLY COMPOSED (PARDON THE PUN!) IT IS BREATHTAKING IN IT'S ARTISTIC VALUE AND IS EXTREMELY EASY ON THE EYE TO WATCH.

IT COMPRISES OF A SERIES OF SHORT ANIMATIONS THAT ARE BASED AROUND CLASSICAL MUSIC AND THEMES , IT WAS NOT WELL RECEIVED WHEN IT WAS RELEASED AND THE DISNEY STUDIOS LOST MONEY OVER THE VENTURE, HOWEVER IT GAVE US ONE OF THE MOST MEMORABLE IMAGES OF MICKEY MOUSE , HOLDING HIS WAND ALOFT , HIGH ON A PEAK WITH WATER CRASHING AROUND HIM AS A RESULT FROM DABBLING WITH MAGIC AND A CERTAIN BROOM.

I FIRST BECAME AWARE OF THIS FILM WHEN MY DAD SAID HE HAD SEEN IT IN A PICTURE HOUSE WHEN HE WAS A YOUNG MAN AND EVERYBODY GASPED WHEN THE LAST SEGMENT "NIGHT ON BARE MOUNTAIN " WAS SEEN.I MANAGED TO SEE GLIMPSES OF THE FILM DURING XMAS AND BANK HOLIDAY SPECIALS ON TV AND WAS ENTRHRALLED LIKE MOST SMALL CHILDREN, AT THE FAIRY SEQUENCES , I COULD NOT GET ENOUGH AND WHEN THE FILM WAS FINALLY RELEASED TO DVD , I RUSHED TO PURCHASE IT , HAVING NEVER SEEN IT ALL THE WAY THROUGH , IT DID NOT DISAPPOINT-IT WAS EVERYTHING THAT I HAD EVER IMAGINED.THE SHEER BEAUTY OF THE ANIMATION AND DIFFERENT STYLES OF THE ARTISTS ARE AN ABSOLUTE DELIGHT , FROM THE BEETHOVEN PASTORAL SEQUENCE OF TYPICAL ART DECO STYLE LAYOUTS WITH FLYING PEGASUS TYPE HORSES AND NYMPHS AND CENTAURS TO THE ABSOLUTELY INSANE SEQUENCE THAT EVERYBODY KNOWS WITH THE HIPPO IN A TUTU - SHEER HEAVEN ! MY ADVICE IS IF YOU LIKE WELL KNOWN CLASSICAL MUSIC , TURN THE VOLUME UP AND PREPARE TO ENJOY YOURSELF.

MY TIP , DO NOT MISS THE DEBUSSY "CLARE DE LUNE" SEQUENCE WHICH WAS DELETED FROM THE ORIGINAL CINEMA RELEASED FILM , DUE TO EXCESSIVE RUNNING TIME."IT'S A GEM!" IT REMAINS FOR ME ONE OF THE MOST ENDURING AND INNOVATIVE ANIMATIONS OF THE 2OTH CENTURY.
This 60th anniversary edition of the classic Disney animation Fantasia was released in the year 2000 and deleted from the catalogue at the end of 2004. It is now a much sought-after collector's item. If you can wait a bit longer Disney has announced that a "Diamond Edition" will be released in late 2010 in both standard DVD and Blu-ray formats, along with the sequel Fantasia 2000. Hopefully this will finally give us the definitive version of this old Disney masterpiece which has appeared in many cuts and versions over the years. This 2000 release is the most complete version to date, with just a little editing, and deserves a full five stars. It's just a pity that it is not still more widely available!
on 17 July 2012
As a true buff of cartoons, I relish in having uncut material and disney have been cutting Fantasia from the 60's onwards. Which is a shame as in todays world we should accept such trivial matters and move on from a time where racial steriotyping was around and deleting history is just wrong. 3 scenes are zoomed in
during the Pastoral sequence where they did a quick zoom to hide the steriotyped black folk.
Now that aside!!

Fantasia has never ever looked so good.
It looks restored, clear and beautiful. This maybe not a kids favorite, but its something to appreciate as you look at the skill of music and animation flow together, it works like bread and butter.

My all time absolute favorite Mickey sequence is on here and the music and dramatics are just stunning.

The menu's are simple and easy. You get a blu-ray and standard dvd (probably a money making scheme, not really bothered myself either way) and you get a easy sleeve to pull down with your standard dvd box with a few lobby cards inside which is a real treat for any Disney buff.

Relish in music and true animation history. If you can overlook the few seconds of censorship, you see true beauty in its rawest form.

Cheers for reading :)
on 3 February 2014
This is my favorite movie of my entire life. This is a great transfer and restoration, but Disney should have included, in addition of the old music soundtrack, the new digital recording made by Irwin Kostal. The old sound is a little less that OK. They should have added the new digital recording which I found is superior that the Stokowski recording made in 1939. Sorry but Disney's goofed on this one again. It would have been a nice option for this issue.
on 2 April 2011
Bought this to replace a video I bought years ago. The picture quality is much superior to the tape but am a little disapointed the sound is a 'bit thin'. Perhaps we have got so used to sterio and cd quality we forget what it was like in 1940. At least there is no 'shush' like in the days of film!
on 27 February 2014
I remember this from my childhood and thought my two girls would love it. They enjoyed parts, but it wasn't as good as I remembered. Obviously the quality of the animation does not compare with current Disney standards due to its age, but there are probably only about 4 or 5 sections that are good and the rest are a bit boring.
on 31 January 2010
The menu is in Korean; we managed to get spoken English once by random selection, but haven't managed to repeat it. But actually you can manage without spoken English, it's only short passages spoken over sounds and pix of the orchestra warming up. The quality is fine. I've read elsewhere that it will be released by Disney in Bluetooth sometime this year, so you kight want to wait.
on 26 August 2015
Thing is, once you understand Fantasia, you appreciate other works by disney and even other creators like Warner Brothers and MGM. Take Looney Toons and Tom & Jerry for instance, more so Tom & Jerry. The way they use the sounds of drum cymbals for crashes, the sound of tom drums for thuds, whistles for unwinding effects, trunpets for sudden realisation and change in facual expressions, fast paced music for running and slow trombone melodies for slumping slow motion.

Then with Disney, Bambi comes to mind, very musically tuned in to the cartoon like the crash of cymbals when lightning strikes and the tunes for when the rain drops hit the leaves (claranette?).

So you see there is more musical masterpieces subtley moving with animated pictures and Fantasia is a FANTAStic example and even maybe open peoples eyes to the raw and amazing work in other disney classics too
on 15 November 2010
I have grown up on disney. This was one of the first films I ever saw of any kind back in about '94 when I was a tiny tot. I adored it then.

I adore it now.

Without a doubt my favourite of the original batch of classics (yes I have seen Pinocchio.) Also, I'm a huge fan of auteurs in anime such as miyazaki, and this film, despite being 70 years old, frequently shows that master up!!

Honestly, the inventiveness of the Nutcracker Suitte and the stunning, haunting imagery of volcanoes and battling dinosaurs in the inspired, and perfect, Rites of Spring, sends shivers down my spine, even on what must be well past my 100th viewing!!

Highly recommended...and yes the special features are sparse and the downgrade from Diamond Edition to the far less spectacular Special edition is odd, but I'm just so happy to have this masterpiece in any form on dvd.

AND BLU-RAY!!

The picture quality for this release is absolutely beyond outstanding.

I don't know what else to say except that if you haven't seen this, you must. And if you're debating whether you need this dvd/blu ray combi-pack: you do.

Brilliant.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 25 October 2011
My favourite Disney of all time, a classic in its own right. On Blue Ray the colours and effects are extraordinary. Keeps every child fascinated as well as most adults. If you do not own this, I recommend its purchase - for kids of all ages up to 100!!