4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent : love this unit
I have had this unit for 2 weeks now and I love it. This unit was bought to go in our kitchen and the main reasons I bought the Contour rather than any other unit were

1) ipod dock for my wifes iPod - easily charge it and easy for her to play some none radio music through decent speakers
2) decent speakers - the tech specs of this unit are up to date but...
Published on 11 May 2011 by DJJJE

2.0 out of 5 stars Sounded great but......
Published 19 months ago by PF Cope

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent : love this unit, 11 May 2011
DJJJE (Wokingham, Berks) - See all my reviews
This review is from: PURE Contour, Dock for iPod and iPhone with DAB/FM/Internet Radio and Video Out (discontinued by manufacturer) (Electronics)

2) decent speakers - the tech specs of this unit are up to date but in laymans terms... it chucks out a load of ooomph when you turn it up :)
3) internet radio (for those times when DAB signal is poor and to occasionally listen to foreign language radio)

The Contour has exceeded expectations - i love it. I also have a Buffalo NAS (Network Attached Storage) disk Buffalo LinkStation Live 2.0Tb DLNA Certified MultiMedia Network Storage with BitTorrent on my network which is a DLNA media streamer. I have copied all my iTunes music onto the NAS unit and also written out the playlists (which are plain text .m3u files that can be edited if required) and put these on the NAS too. Via its wireless connection the Contour happily "sees" the NAS DLNA media server (as well as the Windows Media Servers active on various PCs in the house). I now have access to my whole music collection and can put together playlists at will to more easily have a music selection available at a few button presses in the kitchen (the NAS is in the loft). Ironically this means that we haven't bothered using the iPod dock because I have that and more available via the NAS.

This unit has so much flexibility and with access to the media streamer and a speaker that can pump out the volume I can easily imagine moving the unit round the house if we have guests and using it as a main music output.

The only reason I haven't given this a 5* is that I wish it had the display of the Sensium.

On top of all this I can highly recommend the PURE support. My first unit had a problem. Using the online support.pure.com I have been speaking to specific people about the problem I was getting with my first unit (not coming out of standby mode). They have couriered me a new unit and taken back the original for investigation - no quibbles.

Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 12 Sep 2011
D. Skinner "David S" (Brighton, UK) - See all my reviews
12th September 2011

Firstly delivery, I ordered my Pure Contour (free supersaver delivery) at 8pm on Friday and it arrived at 12pm Monday...well done Amazon.

I am so pleased with this product. I agonized for weeks; reading professional reviews, customer feedback and speaking to friends before I finally opted for the Pure Contour and I am so pleased I made this choice. I previously had an Intempo RDI which was fabulous at first but sadly wouldn't recognise my mobile phone after I upgraded and then (a month after the warranty expired) stopped working altogether.

The Contour has a beautiful sound quality (with plenty of volume) and works perfectly on all of its various platforms. I have an iPhone 4 and have had no problems accessing and playing music from it. The menus are quick and intuitive and it is very easy to select tracks via the Contour's remote control. There is no interference and no need to put the phone into airplane mode.

The digital radio tuned in quickly as soon as I switched it on and the reception and sound quality are better than anything I've used before.

The internet radio was also surprisingly easy to set up...it took 2 or 3 minutes to program my WiFi access code and then I was quickly able to sort through the thousands of stations and select the ones I was most interested in. Likewise it is a breeze to select a podcast or 'listen again' programme. Surprisingly, to me, the sound quality is as good as the digital radio.

I've only had this product for a few hours and I am already in love with it...it isn't cheap at nearly £180 but it is worth every penny...I would happily recommend it to anyone (even my Mum who is a complete technophone...Lol)

2.0 out of 5 stars Sounded great but......, 14 May 2013
PF Cope "Pamandlawrence" (Staffordshire, uk) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Purchased as a gift (not from Amazon though) and, having the oportunity to test before hand, I was impressed with it's quality of reproduction especially as it was obtained at a considerably lower price than it is currently being sold. However, when it was being used by it's recipient on a daily basis, it became apparent that this dock/radio seems to be somewhat ill conceived especially given that it has been in production for some 2 years.
The touch controls seemed to work when they feet like it, the control structure was over complicated, the sliding dock would tip the unit forward unless held with a finger at it's base when installing an ipod and the dock would sometimes fail to register that an ipod was installed. Furthermore, preset radio stations would be lost even though there had been no disruption to it's power supply.
All of the above was dispite updating the software prior to use, and a number of resets.
Needless to say, the unit was returned and a refund obtained. Looking through the reviews for the Contour, a number of customers complain of some or all of the points I raise which is supprising given the production run, and I find it amazing that a product thus affected could be marketed as a finished product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure brilliance!!, 26 Oct 2011
I've had previous pure radios,the contour is another
brilliant product! Set up was easy. I took a long time to
choose which one, nearly bought a Roberts but
cancelled as iPhone had to be in airplane
Mode which would have been pointless for my requirements!
My IPhone works perfectly in 3G with no issues!!
The sound quality is tremendous, lots of volume. Internet radio useful too.
Listen to my music on iPhone so much more now!

1.0 out of 5 stars Sent it back!, 30 Dec 2011
PURE Contour, Dock for iPod and iPhone with DAB/FM/Internet Radio and Video Out

Very disappointed with this. Bought as a Christmas present for my wife - the first problem was with the claim "made for iPOD" as it is made for some but not all iPODs. Doesn't support any iPOD predating the current iPOD classic.
Second problem was that after only a short time of setting it up, the display failed rendering the product unuseable.
Contacting Pure support was also very painful. No phone number, only online support, and you have to create a user accout before sending a message.

4.0 out of 5 stars Napoleon's Hat, 28 Dec 2011
Original Review - see Revised Review below

If you are looking for a digital or FM radio this is fine: good sound both for volume and tone. My view is these things are what Pure excel at.
If you want pure frustration the other features provide it in hatfuls.
I cannot connect my iPod and have it play more than 5 seconds without having to fiddle with the controls to get it working continuously - somehow this happens. I have no problems playing my iPod through other kit I own.
You can set up the unit via the Pure Contour website to play selected podcasts, internet radio stations from all over the world and even bird songs via a WiFi connection. But nearly always the internet streams fail after a few moments to 30 minutes, or so, even with a good quality WiFi signal strength from the router. And then it resets to the start of the programme after flashing up a screen showing the percentage of time the programme has played. Why can't it restart from the reset point?
What is more the interface is illogical and I still, despite having the unit for a few weeks, cannot find my way around it. If I press the "Options" or Favourites" button I end up being offered "Audio Set Up" and things I am not expecting to see from the context. Yuk!
You will also have to download a slightly longer manual from the Pure Contour wesite - but it is still inadequate in my opinion. In any case, who wants to study a Manual to see how a radio works!
Pure need to give more attention to interface ease-of-use and the software quality used in their radios. All in all this unit is not worth the original price of £199 in my opinion. Fortunately, I bought it during the Black Friday sale for around half that price - but it is pure frustration for anything except listening to the radio. And one other thing in passing - it looks and is the size of Napoleon's hat, but I don't mind that.

Revised Review

And now for an update having used the unit for two months.
Following the above review I reset the unit to factory settings via a PC and software downloaded from the Pure website. I can now report an improvement in operation. The unit has the latest issue for firmware - version 1.8. I now have no issues with playing my iPod which I previously found so annoying. Also the internet radio, still suffering from breaks in transmission due to buffering, usually does not reset to the start of the programme but takes up where the delay occurred. So I recommend a user having the problems above to check the firmware version - which can also be reset and updated via the unit itself. I believe the original firmware shipped with the unit was faulty and the cause of key issues I had with the unit.
I have therefore revised my rating: the sound quality is excellent, most of the above frustrations have gone with the new firmware, however I still find the interface odd, but I think a fair rating for the unit is four stars and not the original two I awarded.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Radio, 3 Mar 2014
If you live abroad and like to listen local radio from home this is the one to have. Great sound quality, but dock will not work with iPhone 5 with out an adapter.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, if temperamental!, 23 Feb 2014
The sound quality and versatility of this machine are amazing. Great with ipod, superb FM and digital radio, and last but not least, excellent internet radio so I can listen to French and German radio stations in high quality sound. Very portable, goodlooking and solidly built. Occasionally the touch volume control is haphazard and sometimes it displays "no signal" but then proceeds to play the radio station. Buffering is very fast, easily as good as most internet stuff on a laptop.
I would highly recommend this excellent product (especially at the £70 I was lucky enough to buy it for)

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure dab radio, 25 Sep 2013
great product - arrived in good time - as described

But as another reviewer has stated when it goes into sleep mode doesn't come back on very quickly

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant, 15 Aug 2013
I bought this after many reviews

a really really nice sound. I even had it pumped into a tv to play vids from iphone at one point

playing rfom my home network the mp3 too into the kitchen over wifi