5.0 out of 5 stars Give it a fair trial
Well I must disagree with a lot of reviewers here, who think this compilation is boring and lacks photographic highs. I enjoyed watching "Whales & Dolphins" immensly, the 3D photography is superb, especially when examining the manatee. The depth is outstanding when the great beasts swim by the camera, the same is true when viewing the whales. Only thing that I didn't like...
Published on 10 July 2012 by Amazon Customer

1.0 out of 5 stars Very poor, and very hard to watch
I bought a 3D TV last year and went all out, spending a small fortune on the best possible setup. I then spent months buying and renting 3D material to test it out.

I have tried and tested just about all the well known 3D titles out there, some of which have been very good.

This box set is SERIOUSLY not worth the money. The video quality is poor, the...
Published 19 months ago by RDBoon

‹ Previous | 1 2 316 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor 3D quality, 25 Oct 2013
This review is from: Jean-Michel Cousteau's Film Trilogy (Dolphins & Whales/Sharks/Ocean Wonderland Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray) [Region Free] (Blu-ray)
I purchased this 3D blu ray box-set as a bit of a treat for myself. After looking at the reviews I decided to give this a go (The reviewers must have been clinically blind). I looked at 4 stars that it had and decided I could not go wrong with this (how wrong I was).

So imagine my shock when a few minutes into the first disc the 3D quality was extremely poor. The turtle is out of focus, as if the cameras where to for apart. The jelly fish made me think I was drunk as the blur from them was ridiculous. The narration is very childish.

Overall I am extremely disappointed with my purchase.

3.0 out of 5 stars introduction into 3d bluray, 21 Oct 2013
This 3d bluray is value for money but dont expect earth shattering effects. You can expect a very informative narrative & interesting film on all 3 discs. If you have just purchased a 3d tv you could choose a worse introduction.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a great experience, 1 Aug 2013
Had hoped as these were originally IMAx that these would be great unfortunately I was disappointed by the level of 3D and the films themselves could have been put together better to tell a story at times felt like they were educational snippets lashed together.

2.0 out of 5 stars More for kids really., 18 Jun 2013
The way jean-michel talks in the 2 films (sharks + ocean wonderland) is more like he is talking to children in school not adults, I did not like the way he made out that he was the sea turtle talking in both films I mean go on we are adults not kids, The dolphins & whales was ok because jean-michel does not talk in that one and I did learn something about dolphins & whales with that one so that was ok.

The quality or the bluray is no way as good as the bbc bluray's iv got and I have not seen the 3D part only the 2D but from alot of the revires about the 3D been rubbish Im not in any rush to see it.

As I said to RDBoon a reviewer on here that sent my this boxset for free "Thank You Again" It would be a good idea to use it in schools as my 9 year old daughter loved it.

Iv give it 2 stars because I thought dolphins & whales was ok and jean-michel did not talk on it.

1.0 out of 5 stars THE WORST 3D FILM I HAVE EVER SEEN!!, 11 Jun 2013
If anyone rates this film as good regarding the 3D aspect must be watching on a tiny TV set?
The 3D effect is way too strong. my TV is a 50 inch full HD active system and I view from about 10 feet(about 3 metres) I don't have problems with any other 3D films.
It is my opinion that the film was made with the 3D cameras (stereo pair) too far apart, maybe for IMAX where the viewing distance is greater - and then the film is cropped for home viewing?
The distance between normal human eyes is about 2 1/2 inches (6 cm) and we accept a certain amount of squint when an object moves closer to our face, I would suggest that the two cameras used to film these movies where about 12 inches or more apart? meaning that if an object - maybe a small fish where to swim too close to the camera-the effect is too strong for the human eye/brain to accept!!
I have formed the opinion that if this where the film you took to the store to test the 3D system before you buy you may very well not bother-due to unacceptable eye strain!!
I have to say that the movie is ok overall - as I can turn the 3D effect off, but that leaves me with the somewhat childish narration,(maybe written for kids) but that is the script writers fault -not the person speaking(I hope?)
I am aware that this review will cause some backlash from the seller or high star rating reviewers but some people are easy to please-sorry.....

1.0 out of 5 stars What a disappointing documentary!, 24 May 2013
Filming is very primitive and repetitive.
It seems like narration is made more for a 2-year old, rather than any grown up out there.
Simply awful.
Don't know how to get rid of it now.

3.0 out of 5 stars Just OK, 13 May 2013
It's just OK,
The 3D effects are good on the first, regular on the second and very basic on the third.
No news for the contents.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great 3D effects, but narration is duller than British sea water..., 29 Jan 2013
The 3D effects on this DVD box set are amazing, second to none, however, the narration sounds like it is aimed at pre-school and is very boring. Great to watch if you can't sleep - you will drift off... excuse the pun!

3.0 out of 5 stars Could have done better., 16 Jan 2013
Three interesting documentaries from the son of Jacques Cousteau. The 3D is not that good and made me want to screw my eyes in places to improve the 3D effect. It was better to watch in 2D.

2.0 out of 5 stars disappointing, 19 Oct 2012
If you already got a taste of BBC nature documentaries with David Attenborough (such as Life, Planet Earth, Frozen Planet, ...), this 3-disc set will be a great disappointment.

Each disc contains a rather short (about 50 min) episode. There is actually very little information on the creatures, the narration is boring (perhaps meant for children or very young audience), the image quality is nothing to write home about either (yes - despite being advertised as IMAX movie - but again, try to watch this blu-ray after you've seen Life and you will understand).

Given the price, it may serve as a cheap test of one's 3D equipment - but if you are interested in nature, do yourself a favor - pick some other documentary.

‹ Previous | 1 2 316 | Next ›