4.0 out of 5 stars Wolf Oscillating Combo Tool
Published 23 months ago by Marj

1.0 out of 5 stars Looks good but does not perform
Published 14 months ago by Trevor

1.0 out of 5 stars Looks good but does not perform, 16 May 2013
This review is from: Wolf Oscillating Combo Multi Tool with Variable Speed Control Complete with Accessories All Supplied in Heavy Duty Tool Bag - It Cuts, It Saws, It Scrapes, It Sands and More (Misc.)
I decided to buy a tool to remove wall grout between the tiles in my bathroom as I know from experience that this is both hard work and time consuming when doing it by hand, I looked at the "Bosch" which had great reviews but was quite expensive and it came with very little accessories but then I came across the "Wolf". I decided to buy this product after reading the reviews and felt this tool was good value for the money, especially as it included a bag plus a range of accessories including a "grout remover bit". When it arrived my first impression was very good, it felt solid and was quite weighty. When I first used it I was very pleased with my buy and thought I'd got a bit of a bargain.

Unfortunately this feeling of euphoria did not last very long, (approximately an hour and had only completed about a third of one of the walls). The Oscillating tool no longer Oscillated although the motor was running. When I tried to turn it Off, the switch fell apart and I had to turn it Off at the mains.

I had started the job and had to finish it so I had no option but to go to my local DIY store and buy an alternative ( a Bosch GOP250, I also brought the "Bosch" grout removel tool as it was not included, although expensive a fantastic tool bit that does the job). I have to say you get what you pay for, the difference between the 2 was massive and the Bosch completed the job with ease.

I contacted UK home shopping via Amazon and to be fair to them they told me to send it back and they would either repair the item or send a new one. I explained that as I had no option but to purchase an alternative to enable me to complete the job in one day so would prefer a full refund? I was then informed that this would not be possible as I had been in possession of the the tool for more than 14 days therefore a refund would not apply. (It was irrelevant that this was the first time the tool had actually been used and it was only a few days after the actual 14 day period.

This was when the fun began, a number of emails over a 5 week period was sent to a representative from UKHS via Amazon returns support centre, numerous calls were made to the Amazon A-Z guarantee claims dept to try to get the money refunded this way but that was refused twice, and a replacement Wolf tool being sent to me even though I had already stated I did not want one (I had to refuse the courier at my front door from actually delivering it).

It was only when I had stated that I wanted a refund under the sales of goods act 1979/1994 that I eventually got the refund i wanted and this was 2 weeks after the item had been returned by the courier and only after I had to yet again email UKHS to find out where my refund was?

So all in all, if you want a mickey mouse tool with all the attachments and a nice little bag to keep it in buy the Wolf, (it might be good if all you want to do is the occassional bit of wood cutting/trimming) but if you want it to do proper work then buy a reputable brand, it might be twice the price but you really do get what you pay for.

1.0 out of 5 stars Burn Out, 23 Mar 2013
Bought this as seems like a good buy, and with the name wolf felt safe it would do the job.
Unfortunately first one the gearbox packed up after 2 hours work and it was replaced quickly but the second one burnt out in less time than the first. !!
Fair do's to UKHS they did reimberse my fast.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wolf Oscillating Combo Tool, 26 July 2012
Marj (North Wales UK) - See all my reviews
Wolf has had a good name for many years. My husband first encountered Wolf power tools back in the 1950's-his father had a Wolf drill which outlasted all other makes. We chose this one because it had all of the accessories that the other makes want to charge extra for, together with a canvas carry bag, all at a good price. Now we have had a chance to use it, we have not been disappointed. The general rule for power tools is that if it's heavy, it will be because it has heavy windings, which means less likelihood of burning out and quality, this one is satisfyingly heavy. It does come with all the bits,and the bag is made of a substantial canvas of the type that tradesmen buy to carry tools when the moulded plastic cases have broken. Good value for money and initial impressions suggest a substantial bit of gear that should live up to its claims in the long term.
UPDATE: after about two hours of intermittent use over 2 months,it started issuing smoke, the smell of burning insulation and slowed down. We have always been sympathetic with power tools and not forced them or run for uninterrupted periods. We notified UKHS the supplier and they sent a "sorry for what happened" and a Parcel Force prepaid label. The item was turned around quickly and returned to us and seems to be now repaired satisfactorily. There was no explanation of what the fault actually was, so we can not say. CONCLUSION: Things break down. However good customer service from the retailer has to be a big plus point. UKHS couldn't be faulted on this.

1.0 out of 5 stars |Rubbish!!!!, 30 July 2013
I BOUGHT A wolf COMBO tool IN April 2012 starting using it for light DIY now and then
nothing to stress full, when operating the tool for sanding it started to get very HOT then smoke started to come out of it so i rang this particular company they told me to send it back , they replaced it for another and said the type of fault is a was a one of.
The Tool went wrong again same fault getting very hot and smoking on 30.7.2013, unfortunately the tool warranty has know expired only by a month or so, so i rang the above company
they weren't very helpful basically even tho the tool had a previous fault they were reluctant to do any thing apart from repair or change for new at my Costs including postage, so to sum it up the Tool is just over a year old Hardly used and faulted twice of witch i consider unfit for purpose and potentially dangerous....

5.0 out of 5 stars Wolf Oscillating Combo Multi Tool with Variable Speed Control Complete with Accessories, 26 Jan 2013
I bought this to help with laying a wooden floor in our hall. So that I could undercut the skirting and make a good job of it. The tool was a godsend!!, did the job and made light work of all of the door lintels etc (there were eight doors)So now two blades are worn out, but it took only one day.
Unfortunately the blades are not universal, and "Bosch" type blades do not fit directly, ( Terrasaw blades DO fit directly, and are OK ) otherwise a bit of filing is required.( or buy Wolf blades, which are a bit more expensive).
I am very impressed with this tool, and I can see many uses where other tools would not do the job.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wolf Oscillating Combo, 21 April 2012
A great piece of equipement that does all it says on the label. I only have one complaint and that is the sanding pads do not stick very well to the sanding atachments. It may be that different pads will stay on better. If I lost this one I WOULD buy another!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Wolf Product, 7 Jan 2012
This tool has proved to be an absolute godsend when used recently whilst building a new conservatory. Example: the brick walls either side of the door needed to be ground down to allow frame to fit the abrasive blade not only managed it but showed no sign of wear afterwards. The saw blades are perfect for cutting UPVC in awkward places - trimming sills ect. Also very good for cutting socket holes in plasterboard.Worth the money.

Maurice Nunn

2.0 out of 5 stars Wolf Combo multi tool, 3 Jun 2013
I bought this product to help with a few jobs on a house renovation on the strength of the reputation of Wolf tools of old which were great quality.

It worked well at first but the blades wear out too quickly. It may come with loads of attachments but none are all that impressive in terms of performance or durability. I'm reluctant to order replacements the same as they are simply not durable enough for proper work - not sure if an aftermarket supplier could supply better ones to fit?

The sanding attachment is hopeless, the pads don't stick very well unless you turn speed right down, then it doesn't really sand

Unfortunately the old adage of 'buy cheap, buy twice' is very apt and I really wish I'd spent a bit more. Annoyed with myself for being tight.

It is a useful and very versatile tool and there are many jobs when only a multi tool will do the job

The switch now doesn't turn off now so it is being returned under the 12 month warranty for repair or replacement

All in all a little disappointing but you do indeed get what you pay for so serves me right

5.0 out of 5 stars Had to be a Wolf, 25 Feb 2012
Bought this tool after much scouting around at what was available and reading reviews but what sold it for me was the name WOLF and all the attachments. The brand Wolf whilst not known by many people it was the brand off choice when i was doing my apprentiship as most of the tools were Wolf and the stick they use to get would bury most other brands,and this was b4 Bosch became a must have,so time will tell.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great tool, 13 Mar 2013
Great tool does what it says on the Tin, arrived on time used a number of times. One negative however, the scraping tools are not made to tough metal and the little pin locator holes have already widened thus requiring a new one