5.0 out of 5 stars Thought-provoking and disturbing
I watched this expecting to find it a bit pretentious. However, I loved it! It was extremely odd, but compelling - primarily an exploration of one girl's fight for perfection and the madness she drives herself to. I particularly enjoyed the way that as a viewer you are left unsure which parts are reality and which part her imagination. Critics have noted it's not a...
Published on 24 Sept. 2012 by LMK

3.0 out of 5 stars black swan
once again l build myself up only to be disappointed but l am sure l am in the minority here
Published 8 months ago by house elf

‹ Previous | 126 27 2832 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Dire, 8 May 2011
David A. Edwards (Glasgow) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Black Swan (DVD + Digital Copy) (2010) (DVD)
What a terrible disappointment! The towering masterpiece of Powell & Pressburger's "The Red Shoes" makes this sad little effort look even worse.
I started to watch this film on a long plane journey, with high hopes. I gave up after an hour, repelled by the vacuous bimbo character played by Ms Portman. How anyone can have all the attributes of beauty, and manage to be both repellent and boring amazed me. At no stage did the other repulsive and witless characters engage my sympathies. No cliche of the world of ballet was avoided. French & Saunders' famous mock-doc sketch about the life of a ballerina came to mind. At least that was funny.

3.0 out of 5 stars Web of Intrigue, 7 Feb. 2011
This review is from: Black Swan (DVD + Digital Copy) (2010) (DVD)
"Web of intigue" - well, maybe. "Net of intrigue" more like.

What is the definition of a net? Answer; a series of holes tied together with string. It's an old joke, but a fair description of the plot of Black Swan. Maybe it's meant to be this much of a muddle, but it isn't much of an challenge to confuse the audience till they don't know, and hardly care what is real, and what isn't.

On the plus side, you get plenty of themes for your money; lesbian sex, paranoia, drug use, self-abasement, artistic sacrifice. it is all very lurid. But I haven't seen anything as distasteful since,"Breaking the Waves".

The pedal is to the metal, but it doesn't know where it is going!

1.0 out of 5 stars Laughably awful!, 5 April 2011
Andy Millward (Tiptree, Essex, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Black Swan (DVD + Digital Copy) (2010) (DVD)
In contrast to other reviews here, I will give an unpretentious and honest assessment of Black Swan. It should have been more accurately entitled 'The Emperor's New Clothes', since it is devoid of any meaningful content and has been feted by reviewers who really ought to know better. True, it looks stylish (though the insistence on using hand-held camera for long periods has a tendency to make the user feel seasick), but is essentially meaningless tosh. Worse than that, at key moments it is laughably awful. Portman emotes like her life depends on it, but she can't help the stilted script or the director's clumsy handling of his denouement, which in turn says nothing and was foreseeable through the entire film.

Ignore the accolades. This is truly a movie worthy of the Razzies. Please, please do not buy it on DVD and if you were thinking of venturing out to the cinema, stay home and watch Polanski's Repulsion. Now there was a director who knew how to hit nerve endings and portray a descent into madness credibly and scare the audience witless. So in short, there are no redeeming features - this really is a film that could have been decent in the right hands but which has been sabotaged. Please save your hard-earned cash!

1.0 out of 5 stars I'm sure it's a great film, I just haven't been able to download ..., 20 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Black Swan (Amazon Instant Video)
I'm sure it's a great film, I just haven't been able to download it onto my iPad! Error/busy messages been the excuse last two nights! Feel I've been conned!

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfection on every page of a ballet dancers story., 20 Mar. 2011
This review is from: Black Swan (DVD + Digital Copy) (2010) (DVD)
This is one of the most powerful and stunning films in the history. Natalie embodies ballet dancer Nina who is obsessed with perfection and being "mummy's girl", but as she gets picked to dance the Swan Queen she discovers what it takes to let go. This is one of the films I would higly recomend for people of strong minds and who are ready to give everything up to finally let go. Natalie blew me away with her perfected role of a mindsick and disturbed Nina who will drag you in and make you believe what she sees and experiences is real. This deserves all the attention and more.

4.0 out of 5 stars An eye opener into the real world of Ballet, 6 Mar. 2011
A. Shaw - See all my reviews
This review is from: Black Swan (DVD + Digital Copy) (2010) (DVD)
I'm not gonna waste time by re-telling the plot because it's been written out in over reviews, so here goes my review!

Firstly, I think Natalie Portman produced some sensational acting (and dancing) in this film - she thoroughly deserved the Oscar.

Secondly, the actual storyline was GOOD! Some people deemed it as a mess and all over the place and flawed. I disagree - A naive girl living with her pushy (maybe jealous) Mother suddenly gets the lead role in Swan Lake, all of a sudden there's this massive pressure to become the Black Swan. Nina (Portman's character) plays the role of the White Swan perfectly, as she is exactly what Nina is, innocent etc. This film shows exactly how someone like Nina copes with this pressure. There is so much expectation on this girl, that the character who she so desperately is being asked to portray, actually takes over her conscience, and unravels some unknown characteristics about Nina - for example she realises that she's a Lesbian.
Darren Aronofsky (Director of Black Swan), definitely shows this very well - one reason being that it happens over a realistic period of time, and is not rushed or dragged out. Some people think that there were too many cliché characters/sub-plots - for example the Mother who is envious that her daughter is doing so well, the pervy director, the understudy who's pretending to be her friend - yes they're cliché but it's actually what happens in life, you do get these people.

Thirdly, as a musician, I loved the soundtrack. Obviously some of Tchaikovsky's music has been used, and it definitely gives the film the extra cutting edge drama.

Finally, SO many people complaining: "this is not what the real ballet world is like" ... "it gives ballet a bad name" - why are we kidding ourselves? In the acting industry, there are many decent actors/actresses who fail to get parts, simply because there are so many people auditioning for the same role - however, some rejections are due to the actor/actress not being suitable for the specific role. In the dancing industry, (I'm not an expert!), I am pretty sure it is the same, if not, more competitive. There are SO MANY decent ballerina's who all would love to play the lead role in Swan Lake, all of whom can dance the moves to perfection, all of whom can portray the character beyond expectations, and they all could potentially play the character - so you can imagine if you have 10 of those young ladies, who are all capable of playing the part, and the quiet, shy one gets it. IT'S A BITCHY WORLD. It's life. It's competition. It's reality! If the ballet world were a book, this film would be the most true to a book a film has ever been!!!!
The reason for the 4/5 is because at some points the film was slightly confusing; you didn't know if what was happening was real or not. But apart from that, a very good film, deserved the awards it won - can't wait to get this DVD in the post.

1.0 out of 5 stars Aronofsky's worst film - by a long way!, 7 Sept. 2011
This review is from: Black Swan (DVD + Digital Copy) (2010) (DVD)
Thought I would watch this film after particularly enjoying Pi and The Fountain. I found this film a waste of 1 hour 45 minutes of my life.
I don't think it helped that I am not a fan of ballet but they tried to make something as soft and fluffy as ballet edgy and dark - for me it didn't work - I didn't care for Natalie Portman's character and could care less if she fell over and broke her leg so another could take her place. In fact I hoped that would be the case as there may have been an interesting character turn up who probably could dance ballet well rather than competently and may have made me appreciate the art more.
Possibly one for ballet lovers and dull lifeless characters and definitely not one for those who like a gripping or interesting story.

1.0 out of 5 stars Mundane and Pretentious, 2 May 2011
Stephen Mcguigan (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Black Swan (DVD + Digital Copy) (2010) (DVD)
After all the hype about this film recently I had to watch it to find out what all the fuss was about. I had been promised a poignant and meaningful film about one woman's descent into madness; however, I actually got a film with its head so far up its own ar*e that I found it laborious and tedious to watch. How so many critics rated this film so highly is unbelievable, the film is truly awful.

I wondered after I finished watching the film what kind of people would enjoy watching this garbage, masochists maybe? I concluded that the only people who would say they enjoyed this drivel were pseudo-intellectuals who were trying too hard to be "hip and cool". Anyone with an ounce of intellect sees this film for what it is: mundane and pretentious.

1.0 out of 5 stars Black Swan, 7 Sept. 2011
This review is from: Black Swan [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I really did not like it. I found the cold obsession wooden and I did not like the absence of footwork.

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful, 9 July 2011
This review is from: Black Swan (DVD + Digital Copy) (2010) (DVD)
After all the hype I was bitterly disappointed. As one previous reviewer wrote, the acting was utterly hammy and melodramatic, and the script was almost laughable in parts. Such a shame, as it had the potential of being an excellent story. In a word, Rubbish.

‹ Previous | 126 27 2832 | Next ›

Black Swan (DVD + Digital Copy) (2010)
Black Swan (DVD + Digital Copy) (2010) by Darren Aronofsky (DVD - 2011)