5.0 out of 5 stars Best Christmas present I had this year!
Imagine the joy of waking up to a hot cup of tea every morning. Well now it's a possibility thanks to the Teasmade!

I don't know why this product doesn't get more 5 star reviews. I think it's brilliant. The best thing is you set the time that you want the tea to be ready and the alarm doesn't go off a second earlier. You wake up to a piping hot pot of tea...
Published on 3 Jan 2012 by J. Winsoar

3.0 out of 5 stars Swan teasmade
Makes a good cup of tea - 2 cups or one mug - but rather disappointed otherwise. Clock very difficult to read as it is very faint unless in viewing line. Buttons not easy to press unless you hold on to the appliance which slips around under the pressure. Radio ok when station is found, and angled right, but "drifts" off station.
Published on 10 Feb 2012 by Denisedodo

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Christmas present I had this year!, 3 Jan 2012
J. Winsoar "James Winsoar" (Nottingham, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Swan STM100RADN Radio Teasmade (Kitchen & Home)

You can get the sticks of long life milk from the supermarket and once you have consumed the pot, simply rinse and fill up the machine with clean water again for next time.

For tea addicts there is a button you can press for a pot of tea whenever you like. It takes about 5 minutes for the tea to be ready but while its brewing you can be doing something else.

I love it. No problems at all with it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Teasmade, 11 Feb 2012
This review is from: Swan STM100RADN Radio Teasmade (Kitchen & Home)
Very efficient and does what it needs to do. The only drawback is the brightness of the controls - the bedroom is always rather bright, altho' we are getting used to this. If the control buttons could be dimmed a little, that would be superb!

3.0 out of 5 stars Swan teasmade, 10 Feb 2012

3.0 out of 5 stars As described, but two design faults, 11 Feb 2012
Mrs. R. Duncan (Kent, U.K.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Swan STM100RADN Radio Teasmade (Kitchen & Home)
The new teasmade was a replacement for the older version and there are two design faults in the new one. Firstly, there is nowhere for the cups to be placed - the older version had a tray on top which meant the overall product was much more compact. The new version has a rounded top which makes it impossible so the cups have to take up room next to the teasmade.
Secondly, there is no way you can adjust the clocks for the time or for the alarm setting other than taking the clock hands completely round the twelve hour cycle. In the old version, if (for example) you normally awoke at 7.30 am and on Sunday you wanted to sleep in until 8.30 am you could simply move the alarm setting forward an hour and on Monday back to 7.30 am. With the new version the clock hands need to be taken forward eleven hours ready for Monday - not so convenient.
Nevertheless, I wouldn't be without it!

3.0 out of 5 stars Clock too bright at night!!, 8 Sep 2011
I recently bought this item and find that at night the clock face is far too bright. The whole bedroom is filled with the blue light which is added to by the light from the alarm/tea alarm buttons that also glow blue! The radio works well as does the teamaker side but I was sorry to find out that the unit is made in china....there is a misleading article on the second lid of the box that it arrived in that makes it look like it was british!!! When I complained to Swan I was told that the box was just showing the old british swan mark..I think it is misleading tho!

2.0 out of 5 stars Would be the pinnacle of human achievement - if it would bl***y work!!, 11 Nov 2013
--EDIT 2--
I am leaving my original review(s) below for completeness, but please bear in mind I've had two of these devices in as many months and both developed faults.

Unfortunately, after 2 days of use, my replacement teasmade has developed the same fault that my first one had, making me late for an important appointment. As such, I can't trust this device as it must have a design fault. I have therefore returned it for a refund. I am very upset and disappointed - Swan, get your act together, this is atrocious! I am now going to scour a popular auction site and junk shops/car-boot sales for a pre-1980s vintage Goblin model as they seem to last more than mere days/weeks.
--END OF EDIT 2--

--EDIT 1--
After a month or so of use, my Teasmade started to malfunction. First, the buttons (especially the "tea now" button) would sometimes flicker or not illuminate when pressed. Then, the clock started to run slow (frequently but not consistently) by as much as an hour each day. I have returned the item and received a replacement and will update this review if the replacement item also proves to be unreliable.
--END OF EDIT 1--

--ORIGINAL REVIEW BELOW--
Humans have split the atom, unravelled the structure of DNA, and played golf on the moon. Whilst definitely a bit more humble, the simple idea of combining an alarm clock, kettle and radio into one device still feels like the absolute pinnacle of human achievement when one is in the groggy haze of purgatory that is morning-time. I absolutely love this device and want to give it 5 stars, but it does need a few refinements.

Before that though, let's look at the good points. This device is a magic alarm clock that makes you tea right in the comfort of your pit, when your partner/mum/butler won't or can't do it for you. The vast majority of niggles pale into insignificance in light of this fact. At night I pop an ice-cube and some milk into a thermal mug to keep it fresh, fill the unit with water and the pot with tea leaves, and I don't have to think about anything or even get out of bed in my groggy haze the next morning! The unit fires up a few minutes before alarm time with a gentle boiling sound like a quiet kettle. Once the water hits boiling-point, it fills the pot with its characteristic whoosh, followed by a bit of triumphant gurgling at its achievement. I am a heavy sleeper but find I am gently woken up by the gradual boil of the water, so the operation of this device doesn't shock me awake or bother me in any way. Besides, what's better to be woken-up by? Harsh beeping that means nothing more than "get up now", or a sound that can only mean one thing: Tea, the amber-nectar, drink of the Gods!

Despite what others have said, I find the radio reception excellent and the sound quality adequate (at least as good as any other radio-alarm I've encountered). Tuning can be slightly fiddly for some stations but once tuned, it doesn't drift. The unit has a built-in aerial wire that exits the unit at the same point as the electrical cable, so don't cut it off, mistaking it for a retaining tag or manufacturing fault! I think this is what users reporting bad reception may have accidentally done.

The build quality feels reasonable, and buttons/lids/components feel at least slightly durable. I think it has a good chance of surviving out its manufacturers guarantee. That said, upon shining a torch into the boiler-tank before its first use, it looked like there was either sediment or corrosion in there, as if it had been used in a hard water area or left with water standing in the tank. I hope that this was just some sort of manufacturing residue because other users have eventually reported leaks from the metal boiler-tank. Only time will tell I suppose.

Contrary to what others have reported, the reading-light on mine is just the right brightness. It illuminates the bedroom in a relaxing warm light that is not too bright, however it is more than adequate for reading or whatever else you might want to do. I think that Swan have certainly listened to consumer feedback because another really nice feature is that the clock display has a light sensor that dims it right down so that it won't keep you awake at night. I find the clock hands difficult to read from some angles, and it's best to view the unit from above, however I can still see mine from most angles including from level (lying in bed).

Where the unit needs refinement... Well, firstly, the button to switch the reading-light on and off is too firm, so you have to hold the unit steady with one hand so you don't push it off the bedside-table when operating the light.

I have also mentioned the possible corrosion in the boiler-tank, which I worry one day may lead to a leak and possibly trip my electrics.

Also, unlike the 1980s Swan D01 model, this unit doesn't have a flat top. Swan could have added the reading light and still retained the flat tray-top. Space is at a premium on my bedside table and this isn't a small appliance, so the flat top of the older D01 model would have been perfect for storing my drinking mug and my thermal-mug of milk. The clock isn't easy to view at all angles, but on mine it isn't a significant problem.

Setting the clock or the alarm may be very easy but it only allows advancement of the time, so if you want to set something an hour earlier, you have to sit and cycle through 11 hours on it. Not a major problem, but still a bit of a niggle.

My main bugbear is that whilst the auto-dimming of the clock is welcome, the switches do not auto-dim with it. If you have not set an alarm, the whole unit is dim enough at night to not cause any problems, however when you set either "alarm only" or "alarm with tea", its respective button lights up brighter. I find the glow of the button a little too much for me, as I like to sleep in a completely dark room. I normally place my mug in front, which helps a lot.

If Swan could address these refinement-issues, I'd not hesitate to give it 5 stars. Of course, I've been using it for less than a week, but should reliability or durability turn out to be a problem, this review will be edited accordingly.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, 15 May 2013
This review is from: Swan STM100RADN Radio Teasmade (Kitchen & Home)
WE found it excellent only need a toaster as well and we need not get up till dinner time( only joking)

2.0 out of 5 stars newer not better, 12 Sep 2011
Replaced my old teasmade with this new one and wished I hadn't bothered. Unless the teapot is in the exact position cannot switch the machine on. Very frustrating first thing in the morning (or middle of the night in my case). Also the light switch is very hard to push on.Radio not very good either.Latest Model Swan All In One Teasmade/Coffee Maker (NOW WITH AM/FM RADIO FEATURE)

3.0 out of 5 stars ADB, 11 Oct 2011
This teasmade makes an adequate pot of tea but has two huge failings:-
1) The amount of light emitted in the dark is sufficient to read by. The product is meant to be in the close proximity of the bed, l had to cover it with a thick towel.
2) The tea pot is not sufficiently insulated. Care should be taken only to touch the handle.

5.0 out of 5 stars My New Teas Made, 3 Jun 2011
I have enjoyed all the facilities, ie "tea now" by the alarm button and the radio to wake up to. It fits nicely on my bedside table, easily accessble to plug. Very good would definitely recommend it if you like tea before arissisng!

Swan STM100RADN Radio Teasmade