5.0 out of 5 stars Well I'm very happy!
Published on 12 Jan 2010 by Jose Elan

3.0 out of 5 stars Best kitchen gadget I've ever bought, for 3 months
Published on 13 Jun 2011 by Berious

5.0 out of 5 stars Well I'm very happy!, 12 Jan 2010
I couldn't understand all the praise for this fryer until I got one. What I mean by that is I didn't understand how it could be so much better than traditional frying when it is isn't actually doing much that is special. Whilst that is true the two things that make this so successful is that firstly it blows very hot air around the pan - this means that it takes away all the moisture from whatever is being cooked very effectively. If you fry steak chunks in this you won't end up effectively stewing them like you often do in a frying pan once the juices have started to sweat out. This also makes it extremely effective when lightly frying onions/peppers etc. They don't end up being soft or mushy - they stay crunchy and lightly fried - like you intended them to be. The other major thing is the very slow moving paddle - the benefits and drawbacks of this are exactly as you imagine. If you fry chicken drumsticks, chips, sausages, roast potatoes etc they all come out perfect. If you fry breadcrumbed mushrooms, southern fried drumsticks and the like you will find a lot of the coating comes off. You can tell the paddle has been well-thought out because it doesn't just move food around and around - there is a place in the pan where food catches and so the paddle up-ends the food and it moves satisfyingly slowly. This is important because it has three benefits. The food doesn't stick, every side of the food is exposed to the hot pan and also the 'drying' air in equal amounts.

In my experience all the foods that are suitable for deep and light frying and not prone to breaking up are better in the actifry. It isn't all that great for foods with high liquid content though, but I think that goes without saying. (I wouldn't do a chicken massala in it, I'd use my wok)

BTW, it takes 40 minutes to cook 1KG of chips - that is a LOT of chips. If you only do two portions of chips it takes just over 20 mins - and that is from start to finish, no pre-heating.

I'm a big fan of it.

P.S this model is different to the ones that caught fire - it has a larger cooling fan.

5.0 out of 5 stars Actifry - Only buy the Black one!!, 8 Sep 2010
Just thought I would publish my experience with this product. I initially saw the demos and was persuaded to purchase the original white unit. Every thing worked well for five months or so until I began to hear that the motor appeared to be labouring every so often. This went on for a few more weeks until I eventually smelt burning and the motor went bang. I wasn't surprised because I had seen the Watchdog program that had highlighted this problem. On further physical examination it became evident that the motor which is housed at the rear of the machine was in a very confined position with very little ventilation to cool it down.

I didn't get the unit replaced under warranty fearing the exact same thing would happen again. After doing much research in to the history and design of this product it obviously became aware that Tefal had also come to the same conclusion because I found that the new Black model, although marketed as a special edition, is greatly improved with an internal cooling fan and more ventilation around the housing.

Because I missed the ease, cleanliness and conveinence previuosly eperienced I took a gamble and purchased a black one to find that it has run faultlessly for a good while with no signs of premature failure, I would urge anybody considering one of these units to pay the additional cost for the black unit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant - Really pleased., 15 Sep 2010
We were originally going to purchase another 'standard' fryer - the kind you fill up with loads of oil.

We saw this one and at first weren't sure if it would work and if the chips would taste great and if it was actually worth the additional cost! After reading all the reviews we decided to go for this one, and paid slight;y more for black limited edition one.

After trying it first with some frozen oven chips they tasted great! Much nicer than if they had been put in the oven. And as frozen chips already have a coating of oil there was no need to add anymore oil. The second batch of chips we made were home made chips and tasted great too.

The Actifry also comes with a handy cookbook with examples of other foods you can cook in it, such as chicken.

It comes apart really easy to wash, and it can also be put in the dishwasher. The part where the chips go in is like a non stick pan and makes it really quick and easy to wash.

Really simple and easy to operate.

The only downside we can find is the pan is slightly too small for us (family of 6) but we still get a portion of chips each.

3.0 out of 5 stars Best kitchen gadget I've ever bought, for 3 months, 13 Jun 2011
This review is from: Tefal Acti-Fry AL800240 Low Fat Electric Fryer, 1 kg Capacity, Black, OLD (Kitchen & Home)
So 3 months ago I bought an ActiFry Gourmand. I'd heard people raving about the Actifry but was worried by a few reviews here stating the vanilla version tends to break down. However the Gourmand product was highly praised for it's better ventilation and apparently suffered from fewer issues. It was more expensive of course, but I'd rather pay a bit more and not have to deal with the hassle of returns and so forth.

Fast forward 3 months and I'd been using it several times a week while always being very careful to keep it clean and nice, as you would with your pride and joy of the kitchen. Today I go to make a batch of chips and the unit sounded very quiet, the paddle was turning but the fan wasn't blowing hot air at all, I think the heating element must have gone. Despite shelling out for the premium version my Actifry packed up after 3 whole months, I'd be unhappy if some cheapo knockoff version lasted only this long so as you can imagine I'm very unhappy. Going to cost me at least 20 to send it in for repairs never mind all the hassle I'd specifically wanted to avoid.

Would recommend this product in a second if they could make one that doesn't conk out at an alarming rate.

edit: Actually Amazon will replace my product even though it's outside the 30 day window and are even paying for the postage. Much happier now, thanks Amazon!

5.0 out of 5 stars crispy chips no greasys smells, 11 Oct 2011
bought this for husband after he insisted on having a deep fat fryer, hated the fryer with a passion to be blunt the thing stunk! esp as he insisted on using lard to cook his chips in, after painting the kitchen again & within 5 months greasy brown dripping horrible mess down the walls something had to be done!!!
The actifry is very easy to use, i used to make home made chunky oven chips weaning himself off the hideous fryer!!) but this is so much better, the chips are always crispy and can add seasonings and use olive oil. It takes around 40 mins but the result is well worth it and my oven chunky chips took the same time using much more power with the oven on and had to turn them 1/2 way through.) Cannot recommend the actifry enough no greasy smoke, no chipshop stink in your house, yes its expensive but if it saves me painting the kitchen yet again after a few months im more than happy. Have used it to make little roasty potatoes & worked really well havent tried to cook other stuff yet you can cook curry,casseroles,chicken lots of other dinners in it) but am sure it will be easy. It is also very easy to clean, all bits come apart for dishwasher or sink washing.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not up to the job, 13 Nov 2012
PenGirl (N. Yorks. United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I ordered this without checking the reviews first, but did so whilst I was waiting for it to arrive. I therefore knew that some people had had problems with it, and resolved to treat it gently.

I looked after it very carefully, but it wasn't long before I noticed that a crack had appeared on the lid. This didn't affect the performance, but I was baffled as to how it could have got there, the way I'd been babying the thing.

Then after about six months - of not-very-frequent use, and never with large portions - the 'paddle' snapped halfway through cooking. Just stirring a small helping of mixed root-veg chips was more than it could handle. So back it went.

Whilst it was working, I liked it very much. But clearly the materials are just not up to the high temperatures generated. And don't make the mistake that I did, of thinking that it's a matter of how you treat it - it isn't. The build is simply not fit for purpose. A great pity.

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of Money!!!, 28 Sep 2012
I brought my Actifry in July 2011. It has been used on average about 3-4 times a week. In July 2012, the plastic clip on the lid snapped off, in August 20112, the narrowest part of the paddle snapped in half whilst the fryer was in use (it wasn't over filled) and I assumed due to the appliance overheating. Now in September 2012, the rotating column (which you clip the paddle onto), pieces from the top of it have snapped off and I found them under the pan, again I can only assume due to overheating. It is now well known that this appliance is only expected to last for approximately a year. Bearing in mind the cost of 150.00 for the appliance, you would be better off buying a frying pan with a 10 year guarantee at less than half the cost of the Actifr or yTefal ActiFry AL800240 Low Fat Electric Fryer, 1 kg Capacity, Blackou would be better off with a Halogen Oven!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Tefal Acifry Black, 17 Feb 2010
S. Armstrong (Renfrewshire, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Great product - cooks oven chips to perfection without using any oil (haven't tried anything else as yet but am confident it will do what it says on the box)and very easy to clean after use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow - just super!, 11 May 2010
I can't believe how easy to use and versatile this is. Not just yummy chips, but stir fries, part cooking veg, all sorts. And you can just walk away and leave it to get on with it, no hovering needed once you've sussed out times to set. And then easy to take apart and straight into the dishwasher. No messy oil changes, nor the cost of them. Wish I'd had one years ago!

5.0 out of 5 stars Rather pricey but worth it nevertheless, 15 Aug 2010
DAVE HORN "Dave Horn" (Ellington Village, Northumberland, GB) - See all my reviews
It took me a long time to buy one of these because of the exceedingly high price and eventually the deciding factors were simply that: 1 we never got real chips as my wife would not use the electric deep oil fryer for calorific and cleaning reasons; and 2 a black model was introduced. You will note that this is all very logical indeed of course.

My wife initially threw a wobbler when it arrived in my absence ("Something else to clutter up my benches - where are we going to keep it?" Answer "On the bench by the window with the bread maker and coffee machine". She then threw another wobbler when I told her the price, even though it was only 149GBP with a free Tefal non-stick frying pan and a lovely substantial 160 page soft back recipe book.

The concept and machine itself are brilliant - it cooks almost anything in minimal 1 or 2 measuring spoons (14 or 28mls) of oil or no oil at all by blasting hot air over the food which is shuffled around by an ingenious paddle device. It cooks from frozen too.

The book includes recipes from all over the world for beef, pork, lamb, rabbit, chicken, fish, prawns, vegetables, fruit and lots more nice things. There are many different recipes for potatoes and chips. Despite all those my favourite is my own - chips or wedges in their skins flavoured with sea salt, pepper, garlic, mixed herbs or tarragon and ras el hanout, a Moroccan spice blend including rose petals.

The machine has been used nearly every day since it arrived, being one of the best cooking devices I have ever purchased along with the slow-cooker.

I have only three minor criticisms: 1 the lid section and pan itself are of very light construction, the plastic lid especially being somewhat flimsy, spoiling an otherwise well made product; 2 the pan is too small to cook a decent-sized meal for 3 people; and 3 the small pan means that if full chips and other items can end up being pushed up on to the area between the pan and base unit it fits into (where there is a gap that small things can fall into) hence not cooking unless put back immediately.

Finally shop around as this item comes a lot cheaper than the 200GBP recommended retail price. God knows where some of the even higher prices come from. The Tefal shop was the best value for the limited edition black one at the time of my purchase at 150GBP post-free with a free frying pan (how many they are limited to is not stated - dare I ask as they are still freely available - a blue one next perhaps followed by all other colours of the rainbow?). Buy one - you won't be disappointed. The plain white one is at least 10GBP cheaper than the black one!