on 27 February 2013
I really enjoyed this book, at times it was funny but at other times it was really serious and heavy stuff.

From the start of the book we get a very clear idea of who Jimmy Frazier is and how he has moved from one job to another before actually that he wish to become a nurse. We hear how he is training and has to be in different placements from post-surgical wards - Childrens Wards - and Holloway Prison and also how nursing emotionally affects his private life.

It was interesting to hear about the life as a Childrens Nurse, how rewarding it can be as a Childrens Nurse, but also how tough you need to be as a Nurse. The fact that it is extremely emotional to care for children that are ill or even dying. How, important it is to understand the patients and how to distract it.

For me the most interesting part was to hear about the work going on in the Mental Health departments. When Frazier works in the Mental Healt part of Nursing he more than once state how much stigma there is around being mental ill and how sometimes, it is the small parts that does a difference when trying to help mental ill people.

What really struck me was the storry about the ex-service man who ended up sleeping rough and was unable to adjust to society after having served in the armed forces. He has nobody and can only rely on the society to get him away from the streets. Like Frazier states in the book, mental Illness can happen to anyone and you dont know when!!!! There is not anything set in stone as to when a person does become mental ill and who this can affect.

Don't judge a person by there appearence, but get to know them first, the background of the person, then judge them! The same with this book, first read the story then judge the book by the cover (title), as it may give you all kind of wrong ideas ;-).
on 17 April 2012
I was tempted by the reviews I had read and as it was only 99p I decided to buy it. And it was worth every penny and more. I really enjoyed following Jimmy through his training and would like him to write another book telling us about his life after this book ends.

It's funny and serious at the same time. At times it made me angry at the NHS and made me have even more respect for our nurses who put up with all the crap they get from patients and other members of the NHS.
on 17 April 2012
After spending over 20 years in the health service prior to 1995 this really rang some bells with me, it's written
with humour and honesty and is a good read too. I wish I could say I thinkthe NHS has improved but still the bottom
line matters above patients as far as I can judge, just glad I escaped.
on 23 April 2014
Choose book at random, enjoyed, and this should be read by all students. As a nurse who trained in the 70s, and still working I doubt I could cope with present training today and most certainly would not be a nurse. Thanks Jimmy.
on 1 August 2013
This author introduced the challenges faced by someone taking up nursing as a mature student and discovering during the course that his personal interest and ability proved to be in working with mentally ill patients. It's the first time I've come across this field of nursing as the source for nurse training and his experiences and descriptions of the patients he cared for was informative and touching. It was interesting too that he started nurse training as one of a group of trainees from several different national origins
and learned from their approaches to patients..For anyone who is considering nurse training this will be an informative read, especially prospective mature students.
on 22 October 2012
This is a great account of life as a student nurse, as a nurse myself I could relate to Jimmy, as I was also a mature student.
Well written and full of humour and compassion, as well as the ups and downs of being a student nurse.
I was gripped from the beginning and would love a follow up from Jimmy to find out where his career has taken him.
It was interesting to read how Jimmy develops his skills throughout his training to manage difficult patients often using humour to gain their trust and friendship often using himself as the butt of his own jokes, well done Jimmy.
on 5 May 2011
There are not many modern day Student Nurse books out so I was really excited to find this & start reading it to see if Jimmy had experienced similar situations to me.

To begin with I couldn't put it down, I was drawn in by Jimmy's natural, honest & amusing stories & accounts of his time as a student. Many of the situation's he encountered I could laugh at, understand & draw comparisons with things I have experienced. Jimmy writes in an easy reading & relaxed way which I loved. I left this book at my parents house & I am reliably told by my Mum that my Dad found it, started to read it & finished it within 3 hours so Jimmy must have done something right!

The only negative thing that I found with this book is that towards the last few chapters I started to loose slight interest. I'm not sure why but the humour & intrigue that existed in the beginning of the book seemed to dip off a little, I found it hard to focus & read the last few memories, which was a real shame. Also, Jimmy starts of as a children's Nurse & then a Mental Health Nurse, so not much in the way of general nursing.

However, I would recommend this book as it is still an insightful, interesting and modern day account of being a Student Nurse.
on 23 April 2014
Great to read about someone obviously in the right job. Good anecdotes, written with humour and compassion. A good ready for anyone who has been near a hospital.
on 18 August 2011
Having just completed my first year as a student nurse I enjoyed this book and could identify with many of the situations. It is true to life and portrays the camaradarie of the classroom along with some of the difficulties of the ward. It was good to travel with Jimmy on his "journey" and understand the choices he made along the way.
on 22 April 2012
I have never had any desire to be a nurse but I found this a thoroughly good read. Jimmy, a mature student, initially trains to be a children's nurse then switches to mental health. He tells of his various placements which vary from a children's nursery to a prison. He writes well and brings the various characters he encounters to life. The book is both funny and touching. His attitude to the NHS is refreshing in that, whilst acknowledging its shortcomings, he points out its good points and the skill and dedication of the vast majority of its staff.