5.0 out of 5 stars HD camcorder
Published on 18 Jun 2011 by Just Me

Published 4 months ago by ian coalter

5.0 out of 5 stars HD camcorder, 18 Jun 2011
This review is from: Panasonic HS80 Full HD Camcorder - Black (120GB HDD, x42 Intelligent Zoom, x37 Optical Zoom, Wide Angle Lens & iA + Face Recognition & New Hybrid OIS) (Electronics)
I've just started getting my head around the camcorder. The quality of the images is excellent and I love being able to capture photos at the same time as filming. I have set the camcorder so that all my pics are stored on an SD card, whereas the movies are stored on the hard drive - you can alter this as and when you wish. I wasn't impressed with the panasonic software which came with it and have been trying out a free download of Magix which I quite like. As such, I would suggest if you purchase this product, you will also need to purchase a video editing programme. I like the size of the camcorder and it is very easy to use. The zoom is excellent and it will automatically brighten images far away once it is focused on them. I have a 90ft garden and was able to pick up very clear images of my rabbits and other wildlife whilst sitting in my house. I would also suggest that if you wish to record longer scenes or images further away that you consider purchasing a stand to put the camcorder on. I am in the process of doing this as, although the camcorder reduces shake, it is inevitable there will be movement if you are holding it. The zoom function takes a little getting used too as it tends to zoom in and out VERY fast, or should I say the button to adjust the zoom is very sensitive. As long as you only just touch the zoom button, you will master the technique of a slower zoom and therefore avoid losing focus. The battery life seems quite good, although I can't give an estimate time as I tend to switch it off and on over several days, however there is definately over 1 1/2hrs on the battery. You can also purchase a battery which lasts twice as long as the one supplied which may be useful to use as the main one and then use the provided one as a back-up. You can also use the camcorder whilst connected to the mains. The mic is really good and I have had no problems with wind noise when outdoors, although we are having exceptionally good weather so I haven't used it in extreme BAD weather yet. Most of my recording so far has been outside and there are no issues with the quality. I haven't used at night or in low lighting. I would purchase this one again. The only issue is that I save everything in HD and my computer isn't quite fast enough to cope with playing these back, resulting in jumping. However, you can record at a lower image quality and the video editing software that I am trying will also enable you to play back at lower quality. As such, this is not causing any problems and is a pretty good excuse to upgrade my computer sooner rather than later.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent*****, 12 Jan 2012
I purchased the HS80 from Amazon. Before i have bought this item i have done a full research on buying a good HD Camcorder, with a built in hard drive. I have found that this is the best HD Camcorder you'll find with a large 120gb - Thats over 30Hr of Full HD 1050p Recording. And as for the price sold on amazon its very cheap comparing it to Argos and Panasonic store. Its a nice size using it for 3 mnths.. not had any problems.. if anyone is looking for a camcorder i would stongly recomend the panasonic HS80. YouTube has very good vidoes of the HD quaility specially with the x42 Intelligent Zoom feature.. Full forcus on the moon or at the beach with out loosing its quality.

5.0 out of 5 stars idiot proof, 5 Aug 2011
G. F. C. King (Florida) - See all my reviews
Purchased June 2011. Camera is simple and easy to use. As one who needs to wear glasses for reading I was able to deal with nearly everything without glasses. Touch menu a little confusing at first but once the principle is grasped it is easy. Picture quality excellent, sound good, though a little prone to wind noise. Need to explore and see if there is a setting to lower mic sensitivity in such conditions. Battery life good. Size excellent easy to handle and move about. Overall I am please with it but I must say I dont like buttons etc. I like things automatic, simple and good quality. To date it is living up to all my expectations.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 3 Dec 2011
Just bought this for my father in law, and I can say it is brilliant. It's perfect fit for your hand and yet in such a small package it has a ridiculous amount of functions. Excellent video quality as you would expect from an HD camera, and I think it's a bargain

5.0 out of 5 stars Great camera - and wonderful after-sales service too!, 10 Aug 2012
The camera is superb in both picture and sound quality. It developed a serious problem after 13 months and I sent it to the nominated Panasonic repair (DK AVS Horley Ltd) in Horley Surrey. The camera needed a new printed circuit board which had to be ordered from Japan. 7 days later I received my camera as good as new, without a bill! DK had consulted with Panasonic who agreed that such an unusual fault, even with the camera being out of guarantee, justified a repair free of charge. That sort of customer service is very very rare these days. Well done Panasonic and thanks a million to DK AVS Horley!

4.0 out of 5 stars Handy Cam!, 2 Sep 2012
I bought this camera to film my wedding as the thought of paying someone over a grand was unbearable as well as unaffordable. At only half it's RRP, this very small and lightweight camera produced very clear recordings with good sounds. I'm not an expert, I don't know how other cameras perform in comparison, but we've watched the recordings back and were over-joyed with the results. We have since used the camera at another wedding and it's ease of use was evident.

Very pleased with my purchase!

1.0 out of 5 stars I am extremely disappointed For an investment of £500 I expected a lot ..., 22 July 2014
I purchased this camera some 4 years ago at a cost of £500 a lot of money in my book. It was described as the rolls royce of cameras. The camera literally died after the 4 years. I got a quotation of £ 460 to have it repaired. It was well cared for and not overused. One suggestion for it's death was a power surge. This was not possible as I had been using the camera in the company of my grandchildren. I put it back in it's case and approx two hours later I took it out to use it again but it would not respond. I thought that the battery was flat. I had not charged it in the interim period so that rules out the power surge idea. I am extremely disappointed For an investment of £500 I expected a lot better. Star rating I was seeing stars when I got the repair quotation. Panasonic how are you Panadissapointment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great purchase, 23 Feb 2014
Despite my misunderstandings regarding its initial usage, as no instructions came with the item, the camera is extremely good. Thank you to the seller for helping me with the instructions. It arrived very quickly, and in time to take advantage of my daughters 18th birthday party. So far, so good. Very happy with it, as it has many added features and quality extras one can only find in far more costly comparables.

5.0 out of 5 stars great picture, 20 April 2013
I researched this one quite well, has most features you will ever require for a family hd camcorder. it has the extra high deffinition and wider lens ,massive hard drive and also has an sd card slot underneath , great zoom and anti shake , it also has an intergral lens cover feature . To play back on your tv in high definition you must have a high definition tv but you will still be able to playback and watch in reg definition.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 11 Oct 2014
One of the best camcorders we have ever had, would recommend it to anybody.