4.0 out of 5 stars Astonishing picture, fan polluted audio..., 11 Mar 2011
This review is from: Panasonic TM900 Full HD 1920x1080p (50p) Camcorder - Black (3MOS Sensor, 32GB Inbuilt Flash, SD Card Recording and Manual Control Ring) (Electronics)
I just got the tm 900 last week. Picture quality of this unit is simply unbelivable. Very natural colours and extremely sharp picture. The manual functions are all great, including the really nice multifunction focus-ring. So on the picture side, could not be more pleased. However, there is of course the fan issue which, i'm sorry to say, is still an issue. I don't have any experience with the previous 700 series so i can't really compare the two, but the fan on the 900 is very much audible. I would go so far as to say, that had it not been for the ext. mic input, i would probably consider returning it. I find it very strange that they didn't take this more seriously, as i am sure this will give the 900 series the same ongoing "fan-fear" as the 700.
One feature i would like though, is to have it be pal/ntsc switchable, or just 50p/60p switchable. This because 50p footage has the jitters when played back on pc screens, as most screens have a refreshrate of 60hz, hence optimal for 60p. The difference is very much noticeable. Plus, 60p is much more workable for internet use; youtube, vimeo etc. all use 30 fps which makes 50p look jerky. Hope they release some new firmware that makes this possible.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Camera, 13 April 2011
Got my product delivered to Ireland in 3 days. Excellent service by Amazon.

I really was amazed at the quality of the footage when recording in 1080p 50. It was even better than satellite broadcast TV! The sound, when played through my Sony surround sound system is fantastic. I could not hear any noise from the fan (even in silent rooms). However, in windy situations the sound quality is severely interfered with.

I have only recorded so far in full HD. I have yet to try the other modes but I can assume they are every bit as good as anything else on the market.

I am delighted with this purchase. Picture quality is amazing and sound quality, when there's no wind, is very, very good. I would highly recommend this camera to anyone. It's easy to use and gives amazing results. My friends and family were astonished by the picture and sound quality. The camera is also exceptional in low light filming. No noise whatsoever when recording in dim light. Colour is bright and vibrant. If you're looking for an easy to use camera that provides exceptional picture quality and great Dolby surround sound, look no further. I guarantee you will not be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome camera, 11 Mar 2011
Jens Erik Bech "Lyrik" (Virum, N/A Denmark) - See all my reviews
Length:: 1:16 Mins

The follower to the TM700 which camcorder.info had at the top of consumer cameras 2010. This will be the "king" of 2011.
The video is handheld. The camera has several stabilizers, so it feels just like You had a stedycam built in. The mode is automatic in this sample.
It has wievfinder as well as a 3,5" screen. The audio which You cannot hear at its full is 5.1 AC3 Dolby sound with a zoom microphone. You get the surround effect on Your home video. Built in 32 GB memory and option of copying to SDHC or SDXC cards.
The software is functional and can keep the original quality on the output file. Software is Windows only. It is iMovie compatible on a Mac except the 50fps 1080p option.

5.0 out of 5 stars Panasonic TM900 a gem of a camcorder, 2 Jun 2011
Ms (DUNDEE, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I bought the Panasonic TM900 a few weeks ago as a back up camcorder to my more professional kit for making artists video works about landscape and nature. Since receiving the camcorder it seems to follow me wherever I go, it is just so small and convenient to have around. As I am writing this review it is right next to me as I have been filming birds just outside my studio window. This sums up what is excellent about the camcorder, it it just so easy to operate, carry around with you and delivers stunning broadcast quality footage. I just don't carry my bigger professional camcorders around because of their bulk so I was missing a lot of interesting footage. The image quality is stunning in the 1080 50p mode beating many professional models in decent light conditions. The Leica lens is beautiful and the automatic and manual controls are superb giving plenty of scope to manually adjust to Zebra warning or adjust exposure, focus or white balance. The intelligent Zoom gives a nice 20x magnification which covers most requirements but a 1.8 or 2 times tele adaptor would be brilliant if Panasonic provided one. Macro works very well and is easy to focus up quickly. The touch screen works brilliantly and offers easy access to you footage all nicely listed by date and the mini HDMI cable takes it straight into the large screen TV or Video projector. I was on a fly fishing trip recently and had the camcorder in my pocket ready to pull out when something interesting presented itself, to have this level of image quality in your pocket is a dream for me and it has already paid for itself by providing footage I would never have got without it. The flip out 3 inch screen is tremendous, very sharp and detailed and the added steady shot facility accessed from the screen works really well. The top zoom lever is something I really love as it gives a beautifully slow, silky smooth zoom which is something I spent a fortune on adding zoom mechanisim's to my professional camcorders.
The downsides of the camcorder are that the photo quality is not as good as a dedicated still camera but I find that the stills from the 1080 50p footage are very good and actually better than the photo images. There is no waterproofing to speak of but it is no surprise for a camcorder of this price ( compared to a professional camcorder delivering this standard of image quality). The 50 p footage requires an up to date powerful computer to edit with but 50p will start to become normal and computers and software will be more readably available.
All said and done I really love this little camcorder as a tool for producing video works for broadcast and art gallery installations.I couldn't recommend it highly enough, well done Panasonic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent high-end camcorder, 27 July 2011
C. Ford (UK) - See all my reviews
I'm very satisfied with the TM900. It lives up to the good reviews I read about it. It is light, easy to use, very powerful in terms of the number of features and its resolution. Still photos are excellent too. Works well in fairly low light conditions.
The software for transferring video to a PC and playing it is quite flexible too.
I bought a Lowepro Clips 110 camcorder bag for it. It's a snug fit but has pockets for the various cables etc so is ideal if you want the smallest convenient bag.
All in all, I highly recommend the TM900.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic piece of kit, 3 Oct 2011
TheDoc "Billious" (Sidcup, KENT United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Like many other reviewers I must complement the quality of output produced by this camera, it is superb. Great colours and very sharp.

As a still camera it is also very good. This camera was bought for my wife who needed to get a piece of kit that would do both things very well. This camera does.

We have just come back from a holiday in a very sunny place and my wife was often using the view finder rather than the screen. I can understand this because I have a Canon 50D still camera and always use the view finder, the screen only for menus etc. We both found that these screens which look great in lowish light are rubbish in very bright light, you just cannot see them. I mention this because most reviews of this camera say that the view finder is a 'nice to have', imho it is an absolute must to have.

It gave me one laugh because my wife had not adjusted the eye-piece and so it was wildly out of focus for her eyesight (and mine as it happened) and was complaining about the quality. We did laugh (well I did) when she realised her mistake.

Remember though it is an electronic view finder, unlike ones on SLRs, like my Canon. But it is really very good and in sunny conditions your only option.

Really pleased with this purchase, now my wife is joining in and really enjoying my photography hobby.

5.0 out of 5 stars Panasonic HDCTM900, 18 July 2011
Delivered within a couple of days as promised.
Absolutely excellent HD video camera, I would recommend it to everyone.
Simple to use (plus options for the more advanced user), stunning videos in HD!

5.0 out of 5 stars Panasonic HDC-TM900 Impressed!!!, 26 Oct 2011
When looking for a prosumer camcorder I ended up with only two options, it was the Panasonic TM900 Full HD 1920x1080p (50p) 3D Ready Camcorder - Black (3MOS Sensor, 32GB Inbuilt Flash, SD Card Recording, Leica Dicomar Lens and Manual Control Ring) or the Canon LEGRIA HF G10 High Definition Camcorder - Black (10x Optical Zoom, 3.5 inch Touchscreen LCD).
After going through many reviews I decided for the Panasonic HDC-TM900, the various functions on the manual ring compared to the only focus control on the Canon ring and the way Panasonic uses a better algorithm to compress the images into file keeping more information just won me over.
I bought the Panasonic TM900 camcorder for my professional kit primarily for Wedding Videos, but also for broadcasting projects. Picture quality of this unit is simply unbelievable. Very natural colours and extremely sharp picture.
The Leica lens is beautiful and the automatic and manual controls are superb giving plenty of scope to manually adjust: Zebra warning, exposure adjustment, focus and white balance. The intelligent Zoom gives a 20x magnification which covers most requirements. Macro works very well and is easy to focus up. The touch screen works brilliantly and offers easy access to your footage listed by date. Having this level of quality in your pocket is a dream come true! The flip out 3 inch screen is tremendous, sharp and detailed. The top zoom lever is something I really love as it gives a beautifully slow, silky smooth zoom. So on the picture side, couldn't be more pleased.
I was really amazed at the quality of the footage when recording in 1080p 50fps and the possibility of recording both PAL and NTSC is a must allowing for US/Europe production.
Sound wise, the Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound is amazing however, in windy situations the sound quality is severely interfered with, advice to plug a good mic to the mic jack input provided on the camera.
The camera is exceptional in low light filming; a big plus for wedding videography, churches and receptions have always that low dimed light that puts out many cameras. No noise whatsoever when recording in dim light. Colour is bright and vibrant.
Also its size and portability allows me to use it all day without losing my arm compared to bigger cameras and to be more discreet while recording weddings; I look like one more guest among the crowd.
All said and done I really love this little camcorder as a tool for producing video works for broadcast and Wedding Videos. I highly recommend it, well done Panasonic!

4.0 out of 5 stars High quality camera but no slo-mo and low light performance is poor, 10 Sep 2011
GregK "GregK" (Amsterdam, Holland) - See all my reviews
Truely amazing HD quality images captured but disappointing not to have better low light performance and no slo motion capture at all.

Easy to use, light and well made. For a 14mega pixel still camera the images are not that great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for stills also, 20 Oct 2012
John Chapman (Home Counties - England) - See all my reviews
This is an amazing camera for video and still photography, swapping instantly between the two and also taking stills uninterruptingly whilst filming. I mostly video using a monopod and find the Hybrid O.I.S. system a real boon especially in telephoto. I have covered the microphone with wind gag material using sticky backed Velcro strips and this is very effective. I also use a Rode VideoMic Pro with additional wind gagging to great effect. The surround sound (balance is adjustable) is very effective and there are additional controls for sound which reduce effects of wind noise too.
Controls are great as my hands are small but a large male with big hands may find them irritating. Using SD cards makes storage on camera unlimited and it automatically switches from a full SD card to built in storage whilst filming. Manual controls are very good with the focussing having a "blue fiz" system which is very accurate and easy to use. There is also tele-macro which is useful for those very close shots from a distance.
Only concern is that, even with very slim filters, you cannot use the lens hood as it seems to pick it up in the frame corners when panning and using O.I.S. so using a haze filter for lens protection is less of an option.
I recommend this camera to anyone as it is so versatile and having the option to film in full 1080 50p is almost to pro standard (although all my postings so far are using AVCHD to keep file size down).
Its successor - HC-X800 - (but no surround mic apparently) has virtually the same spec so my recommendation covers it also.