5.0 out of 5 stars Impressive in both photos and videos
I bought this as an alternative to my digital SLR when I didn't want the inconvenience of lugging the SLR and lenses around or my wife had already laid claim to my SLR!I have only had it for 3 weeks but I have carried out a number of tests in various situations.
Published on 21 Aug 2011 by Amazon Customer

Published on 22 May 2011 by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressive in both photos and videos, 21 Aug 2011
This review is from: Panasonic Lumix TZ20 Digital Camera - Black (14.1MP MOS, 16x Optical Zoom) 3 inch Touchscreen LCD (Electronics)
Having read a number of informed reviews, I chose this camera on the basis that whilst the image quality might be poor at low light levels,this would have little effect on the type of photos I take and would be amply compensated for by the host of features. For me it was the right choice.I am very impressed with the camera.

Now for the detail
First- deivery; delivered 2 days after ordering and 1 day before esimated date and well packaged.
Second-I have read much criticism about the poor image quality at low light levels that thought I would get this out of the way early on.I have deliberately experimented with photos in different lighting conditions, including sunshine,cloudy,very overcast, evening and dusk.Sunshine and cloudy were excellent, even when compared with similar photos from my SLR.The only photo I considered poor was the one taken at dusk, and that was of a dark subject. The sort of picture I would not normally take.These were all viewed on my computer on a 24" monitor at 100% view.The resolution is very sharp, very good colours and exposure is spot on. In short, for 99% of the pictures I am likely to take the quality will be somewhere between excellent and good.
There is more to a camera than image quality. It should be convenient to use for point and shoot situations, enjoyable to use and reliable. I cannot comment on the last at the moment, but for the first 2 it ticks all the boxes.
I have not had time to check out all the features yet, but a brief mention of those I have

Zoom - fast zoom and the touch-screen zoom is easy to control with fast and slow settings. The excellent image-stabiliser means there is no camera shake even on full zoom-amazing.
Intelligent automatic- takes the automatic setting to a new level and works well
LCD- resolution is good but still difficult to see in bright sunlight despite the special setting to increase brightness; oh for an optical viewfinder!
GPS-not convinced about this
Controls- generally easy to access and the Quick menu is really useful.
Touchscreen-I'm glad that the touch-screen controls are an alternative to traditional controls. I use the touch-screen for zoom and focusing (very useful for this) and zooming on playback but not much else. Maybe I will use them more in time!
Video-quality is excellent and it is easy to switch from photo to video.

To summarise,I feel it is a very impressive camera and at Amazon prices (and the Panasonic cash-back) you get a lot of camera for your money.
In fact, for my next holiday I am seriously contemplating leaving the SLR and camcorder at home and just taking my one small camera.

5.0 out of 5 stars Using the TZ-20, 30 May 2011
I bought this item with a certain amount of trepidation in view of some of the reviews online, but I wanted that Leica zoom lens. I need not have worried. The camera is superb in almost every respect. The pictures I get are clear, sharp, colourful and lend themselves easily to printing at A4 (I haven't tried larger as my printer is limited to A4!)without any sign of problems. The zoom range is fantastic for such a small camera and the wide-angle is wider than on most other cameras. The image stabilizer is really useful in windy conditions when you are trying to do a handheld shot standing still, the images are pinsharp. The exposure control for bracketing is really useful, so is the autofocus tracking. Time from switch on to first picture take is very quick and when you press the shutter button it takes the picture, you don't have to wait! I have also tried the movie option and that is good in HD mode and has taken some great clips of model railways in darkish halls at the shows. If you want a downside - the GPS facility, whilst useful is a trifle slow; so you need to give it time to find location before taking a shot - no problem with landscapes, but less useful if you need to make a quick snap. In short BUY IT, in my opinion it is fabulous for a compact camera.

5.0 out of 5 stars great buy, 15 Jun 2011
Bought this camera on the back of the reviews of others. This camera is very good, as with all reviews there are always going to be some negatives however I have found the automatic intelligent setting great for daytime use and the party scene setting great for indoor nightime shots.
I have owned sony cybershots and canon alternatives but this is the best camera of the bunch. HD video is great as is the zoom which can be extended to x21 for great close ups.
just get a 16gb class 10 card to go with it as this will hold over 3200 pics or 35 mins of HD video.
just turn GPS to airplane mode for better battery life.
Well recommend.

2.0 out of 5 stars Impressive set of features but shockingly poor image quality in low light, 22 May 2011
Since I bought my first Lumix TZ3 exactly 3 years ago I've became a Lumix fan. Hence, I was very excited when the TZ20 came out on March 2011 as I felt it was the right time to upgrade to this new and promising model. I had high expectations from this model and actually it ticked all boxes but one - Image quality. Acknowledging the speedy startup, fast auto focus, Wide 24mm angle, super zoom and HD video this camera still fails when it comes to Image quality which is the most important feature on a compact camera. Taking pictures in direct sunlight is a joy as photo's are crisp and colours are good (as they should be on a premium compact camera). Any other scenario where ISO is above 100 (be it a cloudy day, evening or indoors) the camera shows excessive noise and image quality is generally terrible. I wouldn't recommend this camera to anyone who actually needs a camera which could provide good outputs in versatile scenarios. I'm currently looking at the Sony HX9 and Nikon S9100 which shares many of the TZ20 features but might perform better in low light.

Update: I have just concluded my testing on the Nikon S9100 and the Sony HX9 and found my match...

The two great features of the Nikon are the optical zoom (18x ) and the special effects. The image stabilizer is useless when using the zoon to its full length (Video capturing). Image quality is slightly better in low light than the Panasonic but still a bit disappointing when one acknowledges that this is Nikon's flagship camera. In all other aspects it was inferior to the Sony and the Panasonic.

The Sony is undoubtedly the winner this time round. Same specs as the TZ20 but superior image quality comparing to the other two. I've took pictures and videos in low light with and without zoom - what a difference. For example, I've took it to the Summer Solstice in Stonehenge this week and was able to produce crisp images at the crack of dawn without using a flash - hats off for Sony. I was also very impressed by the Intelligent Sweep Panorama feature - very useful when trying to capture landscape or big crowds in the landscape (Stonehenge again ...) .Video quality is better than the Panasonic - especially indoors or during night-shot. Battery run time was also very good. The only area where I felt the Panasonic was superior to the Sony was around Macro. Although sharing the same minimal focal length of 24mm, the Panasonic was able to focus on objects a bit closer than the Sony - disappointing but not a showbreaker for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant little camera, 28 Jun 2011
A fantastic camera although not cheap. I wanted some serious zoom and features without upgrading to SLR so easy to take on holidays etc. Anyway, it is fantastic and the GPS function is a fun way of seeing where your photos were taken when on your computer or mobile device. The zoom is great and take good night shots, although you really do need to read the instructions to get the most from it. The video is superb quality and lots of settings to help even amateurs.

4.0 out of 5 stars NO REGRETS, 16 July 2011
A. K. Smart "Ken Smart" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
Having previously owned a TZ7 camera, I was keen to acquire the very latest addition to this range of cameras. My handsome blue TZ20 arrived timeously, and I was soon studying the accompanying booklet and scouring the web for appropriate tutorials. While it's wonderful to understand just what your camera can do, the honest truth (in my case) is that the camera is set to 'Auto' for 99% of the time, and all the accompanying sophistication is largely redundant.

The camera takes excellent photogaphs - which is the number one priority. The 'movie' option works really well, and I was very impressed by the quality of the 'shoots'. The 'zoom' on the camera (both for photos and movies) is frighteningly good, and really does make a big difference to certain situations. The old TZ7 had a facility called a 'Clipboard', which was really just an option which would take low quality photos of such things as posters, timetables, labels etc. which would serve as an aide memoire. Clipboard information wasn't naturally deleted with the main photo collection, and would remain until their purpose was no longer required. I found this useful, and while photos can still be taken of any useful information, it was reassuring to have it all contained in it's own safe haven. There must be a good reason why this was deemed a good idea a couple of years ago, but has now been ditched.

The camera has a touchscreen option which is very impressive. However, this is something else that (once the novelty wears off) I no longer bother with. There is a nifty shortcut facility to the main control adjustments, and now that I can remember how it works, I find this very useful. There is also a 3D facility, but I suspect this will be of little interest to the majority of users. Another goody that appealed to me about the camera, was the GPS facility. It is a useful addition, BUT, it does seem to take an age to activate, AND, it seldom gives a precise location by name - though it does take you close enough to the location to at least remember what you were photographing. So far, I'm also finding it a bit laborious piddling around with maps on the internet to find the location. I've no doubt I'll get the hang of it in due course, but meanwhile I often find it more trouble than it's worth.

Before committing myself to this camera, I had a good look at all the options in the market place, but decided to stick with Panasonic and a quality 'pocket' camera. If I'm honest, the only regret I may have, is that I didn't settle for purchasing the TZ18 model, which has most of the attributes of this one, but is now considerably cheaper now that it is no longer the 'latest'. However, it really is a cracking little camera, and perhaps once I get truly intimate with all it has to offer, I'll appreciate it all the more.

5.0 out of 5 stars As far as premium compacts go, the TZ20 is excellent..., 15 Mar 2011
Mr. N. J. Henderson (Bude, Cornwall) - See all my reviews
With the release of the TZ20, Panasonic has once again moved the boundaries of compact camera technology to a new level.
Building on its excellent predecessor the TZ10, the new Lumix TZ20's key features are a 14 megapixel MOS sensor, 16x optical zoom, touchscreen control, full HD movies and an updated GPS database.

It's worth just revisiting that fantastic 16x optical zoom, for a compact camera that truly is a superb range which is equivalent to 24-384mm on a 35mm camera.
That's giving you some serious telephoto coverage at the zoom end and the 24mm wide angle is great for landscape shots.
Using the intelligent zoom that can be extended further to 21x, for me any image deterioration at this zoom is hardly noticeable and so that extra 5x can make all the difference.
This increase in resolution though for what is essentially still a compact with a small sensor concerned me slightly, but thankfully image quality is handled pretty well.
It won't match a DSLR of course, you may wish to bear that for about the same money you could get a budget DSLR, they are of course much bulkier and so if size is your priority then the TZ20 is the way to go.

Very similar in size and dimensions to the TZ10, one key difference is the location of the dedicated record button, which has shifted from the back of the device to the top.
Apart from that the device is almost identical; the GPS receiver is on the top also along with the two excellent stereo microphones.
For me, the touchscreen is a little bit of a gimmick. It works fine, the display is nice and responsive to your touch but it's nothing that a dedicated button couldn't do just as well.

Image quality is excellent all round. Panasonic has revamped its intelligent auto mode which now features something called "Motion Deblur." The idea is that the camera automatically detects movement or camera shake and deliberately sets the fastest shutter speed possible to counteract. The theory and practice of this feature is great, especially as it also helps reduce blur when recording video.
An abundance of scene modes are also present, plus auto focus and image stabilization for that quick point and shoot moment.
Also a gimmick for me is the 3D photo mode. It certainly does what the manufacturer claims but it's a lot of mucking about and in my opinion not really worth the effort. Perhaps 3D photography will really take off, but for the moment it seems a rather pointless addition.

One other key feature worth mentioning is the 3" display, which has a rather impressive 460,000 dots of resolution. Images displayed on the screen look great, coupled as well with an anti reflection coating they continue to look good even in bright sunlight.

For those of you who feel a bit more creative, the TZ20 features P, A, S and M shooting modes. (program mode, aperture priority, shutter speed priority and manual exposure) Its superb that a compact gives this much flexibility and these modes really can help you utilise this cameras full potential.
For me it would seem a little pointless in spending big money on the device and then always using intelligent auto mode, the TZ20 is expensive because of features such as this so learning them would be to your advantage.

Moving onto video, this has again improved from the TZ10 and now records in full HD, (50i) with stereo sound and full use of the optical zoom. The results are brilliant, easily on a par with dedicated HD camcorders. Wind cut is included to held reduce noise in outdoor recordings and only minimal noise of the zoom motor is picked up during recording. You'll find it's generally masked by the ambient noise outside but in quieter indoor recordings you can just hear it on playback.
Video is recorded in AVCHD or motion JPEG, personally I prefer AVCHD as it's optimised for playback on high definition TV sets.

The final headline feature is of course the GPS. This time Panasonic have upgraded the location database from 500,000 to one million, which is a fantastic feature for travellers that automatically records the exact location into the EXIF data of each photograph.
Like the TZ10 before though, it has an inevitable strain on battery life.
Panasonic include a travel mode and a dedicated option to switch it off, expect a time of around one minute for the GPS to locate itself once being turned on.

Accessory wise, you need at least a memory card with a class 6 speed or later, (class 10 ideally) a decent case, a tripod (try the Joby Gorillapod) and possibly a spare battery if you intend to heavily use the GPS.

Overall, the Lumix TZ20 is a superb camera. Feature rich and capable of some outstanding pictures, it really as an all in one device designed to keep Panasonic top of the compact camera superzoom market.
It's easily worth its hefty price tag, just bear in mind that the TZ10 is still a worthy camera in its own right and can now be found much cheaper.

Finally, I've not seen any TV advert yet promoting the TZ20.
Does anyone remember to dancing Statue of Liberty for the TZ7, then the dancing status in Egypt for the TZ10?
Perhaps Panasonic are working on it, either way I'd expect to see it on a TV set near you very soon...

5.0 out of 5 stars Smart little camera, 21 Mar 2011
Ascylto (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
I had the TZ10 before and got this TZ20 to keep up! A fool's game really because Panasonic will bring another (TZ30?) to market within 12 months. I was so pleased with the TZ10 that I had no hesitation buying this one. Fotosense gave me 110 for the TZ10.

I'll leave it to others to explain more fully the features but really I just wanted to say how much better the menus system is on the TZ20 by comparison. Panasonic really have gone to some lengths to please thickos like me!

Having BET (Benign Essential Tremor) most particularly in my right hand, I find the Power IOS and Motion Deblur system essential and well worth having.

Panasonic have a winner in the TZ series and it prompted Canon, another Japanese manufacturer who previously had my business, to produce a widescreen compact camera. Panasonic are keeping just ahead of the game, however and I am very pleased with the results.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Camera 5******, 12 May 2011
My husband has the TZ5 Model of this camera and i thought that was great but i wanted the newer version. Wow Wow Wow!!!!!! It is brilliant. The photos are superb quality (my daughter wants one because of this reason). There is so many extras on this fab camera, HD, Video GPS and so much more. I would reccomend this camera to anyone and everyone. I love it. It is the best camera i have ever had and although the price seems high i think it is worth every penny. Best Camera Ever!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great little compact camera, 4 May 2011
Bought for a three week holiday in hot and humid countries where there would be lots of wildlife. So, it needed to be easy (and quick) to use when animals and birds appeared and have a terrific zoom. It did all of that well. The zoom is great and the handshake compensations means you can really get crisp shots at a distance. Really am pleased with it.

If I have any negatives, they are minor. Images can be grainy in low light conditions and with the GPS on, it eats battery, so get a spare. Unless those concerns rule it out, this is a great little compact with some nice touches, including a zoom that is silent in the audio track of video and separate video and photo buttons you can take stills while filming. Good screen, too.