• 21

4.6 out of 5 stars1,948
Format: MP3 DownloadChange
Price:£7.99

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 24 January 2011
'Sometimes it lasts in love... and sometimes it hurts instead'.

My expectations for this release were raised when I saw Adele perform 'someone like you' on Jools Holland - and it literally made me cry. It was the first track that I played when I got hold of the album, and I was pleased that she had stayed with the simplicity of the live performance - but slightly disappointed that the album version is a bit sterile in comparison. But this is nit picking. At a tender age Adele has proven herself as a fantastic writer and performer. Her vocals are distinctive and she is equally at home with pop, blues, soul and torch songs. There are any number of stand out tracks here, - in fact the first six are so good I instantly wanted to repeat play each track on first listen - just to take it in.

This is very much a break up album, sad, but uplifting at the same time. I liked 19 but had no great expectation that she could produce a second record of this quality. Suddenly I am a huge fan.

Highly recommended.
1111 comments313 of 332 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 June 2014
Music is so subjective!! I love Adele and I really like most of this album but, if you're not a fan of hers, then you may not like it. My other half feels pretty much the same. I have to say it's not one that gets put on a lot so I can't give it a five rating. (We're both over 60 years old if that's any help!)
on 26 January 2011
Not suprisingly for someone in my forties, 19 passed me by completely but I was brought to the edge of the sofa by Adele when she performed 'Someone Like You' on Jools Holland. I have subsequently played this song a thousand times and am still not tired of it. Dumbfounded how someone so young could write such an insightful and beautiful song and then deliver it with such power against that achingly simple piano. Less is more. And then listening to chirpy Miss Adkins herself discussing giving up smoking and walking her dog on Radio Two at the weekend. She is amazing and so is this album. Of course her voice is amazing but those songs? And alongside this faultless production and US influence, something very special has been created. If you don't like this, whatever your musical taste (I'm no soul boy) your heart has died. She is going to be a Megastar.
11 comment194 of 217 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 March 2011
I have not bought an album in a long time choosing instead to cherry pick my favourite tracks and downloading them, mainly because I havent felt any album has been up to scratch for many years. However I am so pleased I have bought this album it is just brilliant. Adele's voice is perfect and lyrically it is one of the best I have heard in a long time. Like many people I heard her sing on Comic Relief and felt compelled to buy the album just after hearing Someone like you. I guess many people will relate to this song and whilst most of the album seems to be about lost love it really is not at all melancholy.
I would recommend (and have done) anybody to buy this album it is just AMAZING!
on 23 May 2011
I am not normally a lover of this type of female music - but Adele delivers good punchy music with unconditional words to her songs. Great music.
on 11 March 2011
I adored 19 and after a 3 year wait was at first blown away gone were the stumbling blocks and stabalisers and here was a cohesive beautiful album with hooks and sentiment aplenty and to top it off people jumped onto the bandwaggon and Swooned over this ''new artist'' who already had a number 1 album and helped a truly deserving artist break records except on further listens to 21 i have found although i love it and its a great album it has less personality and is way less forward thinking at times and has lost the Adele personality and seems quite old almost that ive been here before i hope 24 (27,30,33 etc) bring back the spark that 21 misses.
on 20 February 2011
Rolling in the deep - 10/10 utterly brillitant
favourite line: "See how i leave with every piece, dont underestimate the things i will do" or "Throw your soul threw every open door."
Rumour has it - 9/10 different to her usual lyrics, still great non the less
favourite line: "You made my heart melt, but im cold to the core. No rumour has it she aint got your love anymore."
Turning tables - 10/10
favourite line: "i cant keep up with your turning tables, under your thumb i cant breathe." Or "Next time i'll be braver, i'll be my own saviour."
Dont you remember - 8/10
Set fire to the rain 10/10 BRILLIANT, MY FAVOURITE ON MY ALBUM.
favourite line - "I set fire to the rain and i burst into flames, then i felt something die i knew it was the last time."
He Wont go/ Take it all - 8/10 - Least favourite tracks, still good.
One and only - 9/10
favourite line - "one and only, promise i'm worthy."
Love song - 10/10 - excellent.
Someone like you - 10/10 BRILLIANT, however the lives version from the Brits is alot better.
"nothing compares no worry or cares regrets and mistakes and memories made, who would have known how bitter sweet this would taste."

Stunning album, a must buy. perfect.
on 16 January 2016
key tracks:-
rolling in the deep
someone like you
turning tables
set fire to the rain

when adele first appeared a few years ago and winning her first brit award, before even releasing an album, expectations were high. her first album 19 came along and was a cracking debut for a young singer. nobody could predict that 2 years on she would make a massive leap forward with this stunning follow up.

first single 'rolling in the deep' kicks off the album, with its heady mix of blues, pop and soul, frank lyrics and belting vocals, its a great way to relaunch yourself into the public domain.
and album closer 'someone like you' as performed at the brit awards 2011, is dripping in personal heartbreak, and the simplistic piano only heightens adeles mature and powerful vocal range. but the tracks sandwiched between these two very different and dazzling singles are no less amazing. blues, soul, pop and rock are fused seamlessly together to make a retro sound thats fresh and modern, and gets better with each listen. other highlights include the other amazing singles set fire to the rain and turning tables.

the critics loved it, the fans loved it, and im almost certain that if you buy this cd, you will love it to...millions of people can't be wrong :)
on 31 December 2015
It's a good album, if a bit boring. You can listen to it.

My problems are these:

1- Is Adele a one trick pony? It seems so. She has one style, one theme (and a quarter) and one kind of songs.

2- This has been a decade and a half of songs about heartbreaks. Here's more of the same. She is maybe the best at this, still...

3- It really does not compare positively to 21.

4- She's a good singer, but very overrated. 2.4 octaves at best, she's no Whitney, no Aretha, no Celine, yet everybody seems to thinks she has a huge voice. She sings WELL, let's give it to her, but also also has a limited range of emotions.

5- She had the chance to evolve, instead, she cashed in on her previous success and gave us a pale photocopy of what she did before.
on 1 April 2014
I was very disappointed with the sound quality of this album. Great songs but Adeles voice
sounds as if it has been recorded too loudly, a bit distorted and compressed. I bought the
vinyl version as I had heard the CD and that was even worse!