1,476 Reviews
 (1,176)

5.0 out of 5 stars simply stunning
'Sometimes it lasts in love... and sometimes it hurts instead'.

Published on 24 Jan. 2011 by Don Panik

2.0 out of 5 stars Possibly the worst CD transfer in the history of music
Published on 2 Aug. 2011 by Mr. R. G. Prizeman

5.0 out of 5 stars simply stunning, 24 Jan. 2011
Don Panik (Cambridge UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
'Sometimes it lasts in love... and sometimes it hurts instead'.

My expectations for this release were raised when I saw Adele perform 'someone like you' on Jools Holland - and it literally made me cry. It was the first track that I played when I got hold of the album, and I was pleased that she had stayed with the simplicity of the live performance - but slightly disappointed that the album version is a bit sterile in comparison. But this is nit picking. At a tender age Adele has proven herself as a fantastic writer and performer. Her vocals are distinctive and she is equally at home with pop, blues, soul and torch songs. There are any number of stand out tracks here, - in fact the first six are so good I instantly wanted to repeat play each track on first listen - just to take it in.

This is very much a break up album, sad, but uplifting at the same time. I liked 19 but had no great expectation that she could produce a second record of this quality. Suddenly I am a huge fan.

Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can a record be this good?, 26 Jan. 2011
This review is from: 21 (Audio CD)
Not suprisingly for someone in my forties, 19 passed me by completely but I was brought to the edge of the sofa by Adele when she performed 'Someone Like You' on Jools Holland. I have subsequently played this song a thousand times and am still not tired of it. Dumbfounded how someone so young could write such an insightful and beautiful song and then deliver it with such power against that achingly simple piano. Less is more. And then listening to chirpy Miss Adkins herself discussing giving up smoking and walking her dog on Radio Two at the weekend. She is amazing and so is this album. Of course her voice is amazing but those songs? And alongside this faultless production and US influence, something very special has been created. If you don't like this, whatever your musical taste (I'm no soul boy) your heart has died. She is going to be a Megastar.

4.0 out of 5 stars Appeals to all ages, 13 May 2011
This review is from: 21 (Audio CD)
I bought this out of curiosity , having read about Adele but not heard her . As an OAP I expected to listen to it once then give it to a grandchild . Instead I play it repeatedly in the car and my grandson has asked to borrow it . She reminds me a bit of Nina Simone and should go on to even greater success.

4.0 out of 5 stars Adele 21, 15 Aug. 2011
This review is from: 21 (Audio CD)
I'd obviously heard many of Adele's tracks being aired on national radio and really liked the majority of them, hence purchasing the album. This hasn't disappointed and Adele's unique abilities in both writng music and her singing has certainly nailed it for me; I play it again & again in the car and her lyrics often makes it feel like she's written about some my previous experiences. There are only one or two tracks that I haven't wowed over, but I'm sure that the more I play this, the more they will grow on me, which is why I've only given four out of five stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent 2nd album, 26 Feb. 2014
This review is from: 21 (Audio CD)
I bought this as had bought Adele's first album which I loved. This didn't disappoint at all. I don't think there is one song I don't like but my favourite has to be "Set Fire To The Rain". One I sing out loud when in the car!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great songs, 23 May 2011
This review is from: 21 (Audio CD)
I am not normally a lover of this type of female music - but Adele delivers good punchy music with unconditional words to her songs. Great music.

4.0 out of 5 stars I like it and so does my other half?, 9 Jun. 2014
This review is from: 21 (Audio CD)
Music is so subjective!! I love Adele and I really like most of this album but, if you're not a fan of hers, then you may not like it. My other half feels pretty much the same. I have to say it's not one that gets put on a lot so I can't give it a five rating. (We're both over 60 years old if that's any help!)

2.0 out of 5 stars Possibly the worst CD transfer in the history of music, 2 Aug. 2011
Mr. R. G. Prizeman "Dickie 1" (croydon UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 21 (Audio CD)
First of all Adele 21,as a piece of Music is a great, Turning tables, Set fire to the rain are just brilliant, and the Cure cover Lovesong also fantastic. So why the three stars. Well first of all Adele 21 is a five star album, however the compression on this CD is unbearable,it has at times is so harsh it has distorted the music.This appears to be because the transfer being so loud you loose the quality of the recording. I was so disappointed with the sound I bought the vinyl version hopping it would be better, it is not leaps and bounds but it is of a higher quality than the CD. I can only believe the CD has been mastered from an MP3 file, hence the loss of quality. I appear not be the only one who felt this i looked on line and it appears to be many people upset by this transfer. I personally do not understand why this is being done, why can't the record companies just let the quality of the recording come through. If you want to know what I mean put the CD in a reasonably good system and turn it up, you will not be able to go to loud before the sound begins to distort and clip,if this is the future we are going backwards, there are many recording 50 years older than this that sound 100% better. This is a shame that one of the best albums this decade has been mastered so badly I do hope XL recording take note and solve this problem. Those thinking of buying the vinyl version don't bother it sounds the same as the CD. This review is based on the very poor quality of the CD so please make sure you understand it not for the album musically. Shoot the mixer!

4.0 out of 5 stars Happy 21st, 21 Feb. 2015
This review is from: 21 (Audio CD)
Watching the Royal Variety Performance on TV recently, my attention was caught by a singer with a powerful voice and a great song, which I didn’t recognise. Due to the slight country undertones, I wondered at first if the artist was Lady Antebellum, a group I’d heard good things about. However, the song turned out to be “Rolling in the Deep”, the first single from the second album by Adele.

It is three years since Adele’s debut album, which came out about 5 weeks before Duffy’s debut album. Sadly, proving that in the music industry, good looks can get your more sales than a good voice, Duffy’s inferior album “Rockferry” sold more than twice as many copies as the far better “19”. However, Duffy’s second album “Endlessly” was a mess that no amount of being an attractive, blonde, twenty-something could redeem, leaving the way clear for Adele to take her rightful place at the top of British pop-soul artists ahead of her and the long absent Any Winehouse. Assuming, that is, that she didn’t make a mess of her own second album.

Admittedly, there were a couple of patchy and generic moments early in the album that are less than essential listening, but by the end of the album they have been consigned to history and I am always genuinely sad when this album finishes. There are moments of genuine beauty and emotion here and whilst it’s not an album that’s going to have your feet tapping, it may well have your eyelids flapping as they blink away tears. This is an album that, for the most part, you need to listen to on your own, without distraction. Shut off the lights and play it in the dark, or light some incense or some scented candles in the bathroom and just relax and luxuriate in the sounds.

There are 11 tracks here, adding up to 48 minutes of music, which is a decent length for any album, but somehow feels a little too short. Such is the quality, particularly over the second half of the album, that I didn’t want it to end. Even had Duffy’s second album been five times as good as it was, Adele’s “21” would have blown it away. A couple of weak tracks may let it down slightly, but there are some of the most beautiful songs I’ve heard in a long time on this album. If you like 60s soul and beautifully performed ballads, this is right up your street and if you enjoyed Adele’s own “19” or like Rolling in the Deep”, there is even more here than you could possibly imagine.

This review may also appear, in whole or in part, under my name at any or all of www.ciao.co.uk, www.thebookbag.co.uk, www.goodreads.com, www.amazon.co.uk and www.dooyoo.co.uk

4.0 out of 5 stars The Tottenham Diva continues her ascent, 23 Feb. 2012
This review is from: 21 (Audio CD)
Adele's musicality and vocal intelligence shines through in every note she sings on her second album, '21', and it is somewhat true to say that her voice is so good that it is capable of masking songs which are not always as inspiring when considered purely from the point of view of their technical composition.

The album starts strongly with a sequence of six songs which are all good, mostly excellent and, in the case of 'Set Fire to the Rain', simply amazing. Unfortunately, although the second half of the album ends on another amazing song, the UK No. 1 Single, 'Someone Like You', it contains more than a couple of comparably mediocre songs, such as the overlong blues number 'One and Only'.

This album, a very impressive accomplishment for an artist as young as Adele, stands out from the rest of the pop field not just because of The Tottenham Diva's world-class vocal performance, but also because of the vibrant production quality courtesy of multi-Grammy-Award-Winning producer Rick Rubin. It is encouraging to hear a high profile album produced in the 21st century which is not a clumsy wall of noise but an uncluttered, well-defined and invigorating listening experience.

21 by Adele