on 25 November 2011
As others have noted this petal design is not suitable for the 18-55mm kit lens. Canon's own hood for this lens is round, not petal shaped, as in inherantly required for lens with a rotating front element.

I'm not sure if its suitable for the others the seller lists either. A hood needs to be matched to the focal length (or range of lengths for a zoom), not just physically fit. Using a hood designed for the wrong focal length will either result in vignetting (dark corners) or not be as effective as it should be at reducing flare. Do yourself a favour, look up the correct hood as recommended by Canon for your lens. If you don't want to pay Canon's prices then use the model number to find a cheaper clone, just make sure its actually the correct shape, not just physically fits..
0Comment|124 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 December 2011
This hood is not any use with the Canon 18-55mm lens. On the wide angle setting the lens becomes very apparent in the viewfinder and picture.
This is also a screw fitting to the inside of the lens or filter, which is a departure from the bayonet fit of my other lens hoods.
on 27 November 2011
As mentioned in the description that it can fit to 50 mm lens, I tried but it will not fit to it. The quality of the hood is not really good. The way it attach to the lens is not smooth. But with this price it is OK. But I prefer original lens hood.
on 2 March 2013
This is a type A example of an item that look good on picture but in real life it's bold and dosen't fit very well - do you self a favor and spend a few more pounds and buy something that you actuallay can use.
on 14 July 2011
For the price this is a good lens hood - solid and well made. But be aware that if you are fixing it on to the Canon 18-55mm kit lens it will suffer from the same issues as other hoods - namely, revolving when you manually or auto focus. This is a limitation of the lens rather than the hood though...
on 30 July 2013
I do not like the fact that these are mounted on the filter ring - fitting is fiddly.

I do a lot of landscape photography & have UV filters fitted to protect lens. I also like to use polarized filters. So Swapping is a pain.

With canon 18-55 IS kit lens at the 18 end of the spectrum the outer lips of the lens hood are featured in the photo - thats just with the UV . :-(

Will be replacing with genuine Canon hoods.
on 18 May 2011
This hood has proved to be a very good and reasonably priced purchase. The quality of the item is excellent, sturdy and attached without any problems to my camera. Thoroughly recommended.58mm Flower Petal Camera Lens Hood for Canon EOS 18-55 lens
on 15 December 2011
Item was delivered in reasonable time. The lens hood was very tight to fit onto my standard 18-55mm lens and found that there was no ridge on the inside to clip the lens cap into so not confident that it will stay in.
on 20 September 2011
58mm Flower Petal Camera Lens Hood for Canon EOS EFS 18-55mm EFS 55-250mm EF 70-300mm EF 50mm Lens
I bought this to fit the 18-55mm kit lens on a newly purchased Canon EOS 600D. It arrived in super quick time and securely packed. Very easy to fit and provides good protection both antiflare and antishock. Unfortunately there is no internal thread for filters which makes it pretty useless for me and I have returned it to Amazon.
Nevertheless - a good sturdy product well worth the price!
on 1 February 2012
As most people know, the 18-55mm kit lens has a rotating front element. If you just screw on the lens hood and hope for the best, you -will- get vignetting and you -will- be disappointed.

I got this hood in a bundle with some other stuff. I was going to get a round lens hood later, but this is fine for me. My advice would be to only partially tighten the lens hood, focus and then adjust the hood so that it is correctly in line. I did this right from the outset anyway and have never had a problem with it. Even on the wide angle setting, if the hood is adjusted so that it is close enough to where it should be, there is no vignetting.

The hood, if used this way is fantastic and far better than the shallow circular one for the lens. It may seem like a bit of a hassle, but having done this for some time now, I don't find it to be a problem. It's also really sturdy and I don't feel like I have to keep replacing the lens cap after every shot, allowing for me to take pictures more quickly and miss less.