4.0 out of 5 stars Motivating, well written, a bit short on detail
Overall a very enjoyable read but short on detail. The underlying concept is very simple: Buy To Let property is a much better long term investment vehicle than anything else, & it advises how you should best take advantage of this for long term portfolio growth.

Published on 23 Feb 2010 by Jimbo

3.0 out of 5 stars Buyer beware but worth a read
Published on 20 Mar 2010 by Stephen Green

3.0 out of 5 stars Buyer beware but worth a read, 20 Mar 2010
Stephen Green (Uttoxeter, Staffs. UK) - See all my reviews
I have updated my view of this book to reflect its readership. It is clearly a title and concept that has attracted people and Brett writes in a way that clearly inspires people to want to invest in property which in current conditions is clearly a leap of faith, so I applaud Brett for exciting that faith. I applaud the number of write-ups this book has had and so, whilst my reservations remain, it would be petty of me to ignore the following that this book has generated, although I would be more impressed where reviewers have a breadth of comparable reads. I try in my reviews to serve the reader and not the writer. Probably half of the books I have read have followed reviews and recommendations of others and I regard reviewing as the collective teamwork of enthusiasts. There now follows my original review:

I rushed to buy this book the week it came out and looking at the reviews I am startled at how many good reviews it has. What I thought I would be buying is a cutting edge book with up to date techniques and a real grasp of the property market. It reads like a 2004 book. Buying off plan and developer properties is a very lazy and turnkey strategy and the author invites you to make even less effort and let him take care of all that for you. There are a lot of crooks ( not an accusation I am aiming at the author) past and present who will offer you a lazy route to riches. I have seen both fortunes made and personal despair over bad purchases (more common) and whilst the author is honest enough to admit an off plan purchase that loses money but will come good someday, I could list 4 genuine trustworthy guides and 3 heartless bandits who also offer advice. The book starts with a flawed 3 property strategy and doesn't take long to tell you there is a better way, ie more properties and interest only rather than owning 3 properties outright. ie the author shamelessly uses a catchy strategy to sell the book. If you are really serious about property you need more knowledge, experience and training than this book offers. Go carefully.

1.0 out of 5 stars No substance - you wont learn anything, 15 Feb 2011
After reading this book i was compelled to write my first ever review. I cannot stress how much of a waste of money this book was. There is a ridiculous amount of repetition. The book talks about the '3+1 plan' and 'set and forget'. Well quite simply its use leverage to buy a first property. Hope the house rises in value so you can remortgage and withdraw equity to put down as the deposit for the next mortgage. Rinse and repeat till you have 3 rental properties and 1 house to live in. You pay a management agent to manage the properties to 'set and forget'. This book is padded to 160 pages when 5 pages could do.

What drove me to write this review was that on page 161 there is the 'set and forget' basic checklist. This has gems such as - 'upgrade your status at the bank', Mortgage cost averaging, 'meeting your bank manager and getting what you want' and 'knowing who to call during 'one of those' moments'.

wow. I'd buy a book that had such useful chapters. But this book does not cover these items despite being in his checklist for success. It figures that the author talks at one point about running 'millionaire property seminars'.

Wast of money and waste of time reading.

4.0 out of 5 stars Motivating, well written, a bit short on detail, 23 Feb 2010
Jimbo "Jimbo" (Brighton, England) - See all my reviews

BUT....once I read the book I found it hard to think back about many new facts I'd learned from it.

Eg.
Set and Forget philosphy - spot on concept, but the check lists are brief and not properly explained. Less marketing and sales pitch, more tips and facts please. I guess this bit is a taster in the book to get you to join the website so you become a potential customer of the author's company.
Several 'strategies' - 7-10, 3+1, 1-2-stop, 5 and hold - but they are a bit brief and 'back of the envelope'.
The free Software to track your portfolio could be better
There's almost nothing about practicalities of choosing the right property for BTL, about property development, maximising yield, minimising your tax liability

Be prepared for regular e-mails and even a phone call when you register your details on the website.

If you are thinking about property investment and still making your mind up, this is a good book to get you started & worth the money. It it convinces you to go for it, I would suggest doing a bit more reading before you actually take the plunge

2.0 out of 5 stars Limited insight, 16 Mar 2012
This review is from: The 3 + 1 Plan: The Insider's Way to Achieve Financial Freedom with Just 4 Properties (Kindle Edition)
Alarmed that the main principal seemed to be to continually borrowing larger and larger amounts to fund negative cashflow on the belief that as prices had risen before, they will do again and fill the gap. Compared to the quality and motivation of rich dad poor dad, I was disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent basis for Building a Property Portfolio, 30 Aug 2010
This book lays out in a very straight-forward and pragmatic way how to start and develop a property portfolio. It outlines a proven process that allows you to build your portfolio while avoiding the pitfalls that can easily derail your plans. The book also helps guide the reader on the emotional journey to becoming a property portfolio investor and the steps that will help ensure financial freedom.

1.0 out of 5 stars Flawed System, 25 Mar 2012
This book is completely based around a flawed system of buying new build property, which if you read any other book is the last thing any serious property investor would do. Let's also be honest, does anyone really believe that you can get 'financially free' with 3 properties? This is simply a marketing exercise to get you to buy their properties which cost 1,000's and so I can't help but have a skepticism for everything written in it. Beware as this kind of advice is dangerous.

4.0 out of 5 stars A few good hints but no real nitty gritty I wanted to know, 9 Mar 2013
There are a few good tips in this book about why property investment is a good idea and how one might get started. Overall, however I felt it was a book that was intended to baffle me. I would get the feeling..."oh great, now he'll tell me how to do that," but he never really did. It was as if I was to feel that property investment can be a bit dangerous and I would be best enlisting the help of...hmmm...what about his company? Perhaps I'm a bit cynical but after reading this book I said to my husband, "Let's invest with 'Your Property Club' so that we don't mess up." It was my husband who pointed out that the book might just have worked on me as marketing tool for Brett-Alegre-Wood's property investment company.

5.0 out of 5 stars 3&1 property plan, 7 Feb 2011
This book has a lot of fascinating and useful information on how to buy and manage enough properties to replace a pension or supplement one if your pension is anywhere decent.
The book is inspiring and along with the help and advice from Your Property Club gives you the confidence to take the action necessary to achieve the 3&1 plan. I intend to do this within the next year or two and I feel that I can have the courage and confidence to do it all thanks to this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very interesting and informative read, 17 Jan 2011
I found this book to be very informative and a worthwhile read.
I am new to property investment and I did find it helpful however
I am sure anyone involved in property investment would gain something
from reading it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Book Easy to understand, 29 Aug 2010
The best book about. Easy to understand with workable concepts. I have read it twice and I am now going to start investing in property.