5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic mid-range card
The 6850 Direct CU is a fantastic card with typical high standards of Asus build quality. One of the biggest selling points this card has is the combination of cooling performance and high overclocking capabilities

Published on 29 Mar 2011 by Andrew

1.0 out of 5 stars Dead on arrival
I got this to replace my Sapphire 4870. I was attracted by the 3 year warranty. Ironically, I tried all ways to make this work in two different PCs, but could not get any video output (not even POST to get into the BIOS). My PCs work fine with other PCI Express cards. I have had to return it and ordered the Sapphire version instead. Big disappointment.
Published on 15 Mar 2012 by Derek

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic mid-range card, 29 Mar 2011
Andrew "impulsive gadget buyer" (Wales) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Asus 1GB Radeon HD 6850 DirectCU PCI-E 2 (Accessory)

The Direct CU cooler is very impressive, holding the card around the 65c threshold when gaming, and during normal use is barely audible. Though even when gaming its not intrusively loud. While there is no free game, the bundle includes a leather wallet, which can hold a small collection of CD's, or DVD's.

Overclocking headroom is fantastic, but I don't understand why Asus didn't set the default clocks higher - even 850mhz on the core and 1100mhz via the memory is fine using AMD's own catalyst overdrive feature.

I've had mine at 1000/1250 with a voltage bump using msi afterburner and the temps weren't too bad. I think 950/1150 is more realistic though, a sweet spot if you will. Though I do tend to keep the core at 850/1100 for everyday use, which it handles fine without the need for extra voltage.

If you are getting a 6850 I thoroughly recommend the asus one!

5.0 out of 5 stars High Performance Graphics Card, 23 May 2011
This review is from: Asus 1GB Radeon HD 6850 DirectCU PCI-E 2 (Accessory)
The Asus Radeon HD6850 simply plugs into a PCI-E motherboard slot and is ready to use. One slightly unexpected feature is the requirement for TWO auxiliary power connections (in some of the reviews describing earlier versions only one auxiliary power connection was present; Asus apparently changed that to two connections more recently).

5.0 out of 5 stars Very quiet, 31 Aug 2011
This review is from: Asus 1GB Radeon HD 6850 DirectCU PCI-E 2 (Accessory)
Was looking for a replacement for a silent nVidia solution that burnt a couple weeks back. There is nothing in the area of silent on the market these days so had to go for a conventional cooling video card.

My demands were something with acceptable performance for a casual gamer, with a good price naturally and as quiet as possible. According to reviews the performance for this GPU was just right, the price was not too bad either, the only question was the amount of noise from the card. I went for it nevertheless, thinking that if it is too noisy I'll be just falling back to a cheap silent video I've got when I am not playing for extended periods of time.

However, to my big surprise, the card proved to be very quiet, after assembling the rig I could not tell that the old silent video card was gone and one with a fan was installed. The performance is fairly acceptable in line with the reviews and it is still fairly quiet even during load so I would call it one of the best solutions in terms of price, performance and noise levels.

5 stars without a question.

5.0 out of 5 stars Crossfire, 19 Jun 2011
This review is from: Asus 1GB Radeon HD 6850 DirectCU PCI-E 2 (Accessory)
Two of these in a crossfire set-up are outstanding, not only are they great value, but when paired they out perform the pricey 5970 costing 400+.
So if it's bang for buck you're after, look no further than these as the 6850 are great cards and these Asus models can give you even more performance with their excellent over-clocking potential.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 3 Mar 2012
This review is from: Asus 1GB Radeon HD 6850 DirectCU PCI-E 2 (Accessory)
Simply put, this card represents absolutely fantastic value for money and excellent performance. Stays at around 35c degrees at idle in my system and maxes out at about 60c when under full strain. It handles games like Crysis 2 and Alan Wake superbly with frame-rates rarely dropping below 40fps. It looks excellent, and also stays very quiet. Over-clocking is as easy as moving a slider on your screen, although over-clocking isn't really necessary for me at the moment, as it comes pre-clocked at levels that will handle any game with ease.

So to conclude, if you're looking for a mid-range card for around the 100-120, get this one, you really cannot get better value for money, you truly will not be disappointed!

10/10

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressive performance for the price, 8 Aug 2011
This review is from: Asus 1GB Radeon HD 6850 DirectCU PCI-E 2 (Accessory)
I recently bought this graphics card to replace my ageing Radeon 4670, So far, I'm impressed by the performance that this card gives, giving good solid FPS even in highly demanding games such as GTA 4, and it doesn't even seem to break a sweat in Dirt 2, staying at a solid 60 Fps.

The card comes well packaged, and despite being a somewhat large card, it fit perfectly into my case. I was surprised that the graphics card requires two 6-pin power connectors (in the reviews I had read on forums it stated that the card had only one 6-pin connector) However this is most likely a measure taken by asus to ensure maximum stability if you wish to overclock the card.

I was interested to find out how well this card performs with tesselation enabled too, I tested it in unigine heaven (a benchmarking program based around tesselation and directx 11) and was impressed that the card managed to keep an average fps of around 30, not bad for a mid-range card.

On the whole, impressive performance for the price, especially considering that this is a factory overclocked model. Would definitely recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars ASUS Radeon HD 6850 V2, 4 Aug 2011
Timmy (Cork, Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Asus 1GB Radeon HD 6850 DirectCU PCI-E 2 (Accessory)
This card is amazing! It gets a 7.7 in Windows Experience Index for anyone wondering. Loads of room to overclock. Excellent cooling (compared to other brand 6850s). Excellent price. My only complaint is the noise! My case fans are always on full (can't adjust them) so it was loud enough already but the 6850 made it worse! It's not deafening by any means but I was expecting it to be quieter. That being said I love this card! The most demanding game I have right now is Guild Wars but I'm getting ~120 fps with everything on high!

Recommended for anyone considering it! If you want a whisper-quiet PC this won't do. Everyone else; just buy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good performance with fairly low carbon footprint:), 26 July 2011
This review is from: Asus 1GB Radeon HD 6850 DirectCU PCI-E 2 (Accessory)
I have decided to replace my modest GPU (VTX3D 512MB Radeon HD 5450 DDR3 Graphics Card with Low Profile Bracket) with this card so I can play some games in high resolution and high settings. I had a big dilemma whether or not I should replace 450W PSU in my case (CIT CSCIT1007 Micro ATX Case NEW Design 24pin SATA 450W - Black) with something more powerful. In the end I have decided to chance it and I did not upgrade it. Thanks to low power consumption of that card my system is stable and I was able to play titles like MW2, L4D2 and Portal 2 in resolution 1920x1080 with smooth frame-rate. My Windows index reads:

Desktop performance for Windows Aero: 7.5
3D business and gaming graphics performance: 7.5

To give you a bit more complete picture I am using that card on Asus P8P67-M PRO New B3 Rev Motherboard (P67 chipset uATX, Intel?s 1155, USB 3.0/Sata 6Gb/s & Dual Intelligent Processors ) with Intel Sandybridge i5-2500K Unlocked Core i5 Quad-Core Processor (3.30GHz, 6MB Cache, Socket 1155) and Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 8GB 1600MHz CL9 DDR3 Vengeance Memory Two Module Kit.

I read somewhere that this model has a lot of room for overclocking however so far I did not need to do that since frame-rate in all games I have played was really good.

So far I am really pleased with that card, if you are in a market for mid-range GPU I think it's a very good option.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing card, 3 Dec 2013
This review is from: Asus 1GB Radeon HD 6850 DirectCU PCI-E 2 (Accessory)
I got this card at a really great deal (70 for it :D) and I'm really happy I got it, one game I can easily get over 200fps even on max settings and others still run smoothly at ultra. All around a great card and definitely worth it of you can get it.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best bang for the buck., 20 May 2013
Crunchy Tech (Here and there) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Asus 1GB Radeon HD 6850 DirectCU PCI-E 2 (Accessory)
I owned a couple of these Asus HD 6850 cards for long time already (in two different computers) and must say it's the best bang for the buck I have ever bought anything related to computers. It just delivers, and still stays cool and quite! (as long you blow off dust every few months :)

Had it coupled with Core i3 and I was gaming on High details @ 1440 resolution. Now it's with Core i5 and I can play the newest games on High-Ultra details @ 1920 resolution.
No need for more than 1gb of graphics memory if playing @ 1 monitor up to @ full HD 1920 resolution.

HD6850 comes with 256-bit memory bus which is usually available only in more expensive high-end cards :O

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›