5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful
Well, we were lucky enough to get tickets to be there for the New Years' Concert in Vienna. Does the cd do it justice- most definitely. A truly luxurious recording that captures the essence of the concert. If you haven't been able to get tickets, or simply want to luxuriate in a wonderful orchestra playing the most beautiful music-this is for you!
Published on 21 Feb. 2011 by PaulC

2.0 out of 5 stars New Years concert 2011.
Published on 11 Feb. 2012 by Helen Lore Zetter

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful, 21 Feb. 2011

5.0 out of 5 stars New Year To Remember, 27 Jan. 2012
Can't understand one of your reviewers wheeling out that old chestnut "Frankly Worse Than Most" as Franz Welser Most was dubbed in his early years by the London Philharmonic. Yes, all very funny and good, clean fun ! But watching this concert as it happened on January 1st, 2011, I felt "Frankly Better Than Most." Indeed, the only New Year's Concert that I know which is better is the absolutely remarkable, once in a lifetime one under Herbert von Karajan, who rediscovered this music shortly before his death and gave one of the most extraordinary performances of his extraordinary career.

Even so, apart from the delightful inclusion of Kathleen Battle, Karajan offered fairly "standard fare" whereas Welser Most offers a very interesting programme, with many items that I had never heard before, despite having numerous boxes of Strauss music from Decca. I was also struck by the really excellent, sharp, clear and precise playing that he gets from the Vienna Philharmonic. It is often said that the Vienna Philharmonic do not really need a conductor in this music since it came to them along with their mother's milk ! And that is almost certainly true. But occasionally a conductor comes along who can add something, as Karajan obviously did (the opening of the Blue Danube could have been written for the "Karajan Style.") But, to my mind, so does the new director of the Vienna State Opera, Franz Welser Most. I also noticed an uncanny relationship between what the conductor was conducting and what the orchestra was playing !! Normally, the Vienna Philharmonic just ignore the conductor; they know the music better than he does or ever will and the conductor is usually only there because he is famous. But not on this occasion; they seemed to follow him very attentively. And they "sounded" different; very clear, very precise. And pretty remarkable even for one of the world's top orchestras, on a good day the world's top orchestra.

So, in my opinion, a vintage New Year's Day Concert. Complaints ? Well, I should say that my original review was based on the live television broadcast, watched on my new HD television, which looked gorgeous but sounded awful on the flat screen television speakers. So we upgraded the speakers and bought a Blu-Ray player and bought the Blu-Ray disc. To my eyes, the original broadcast was far more colourful and glamorous than this rather flat Blu Ray production. On the whole, with the latest productions, I don't think Blu-Ray is worth the extra money over DVD -maybe 50p but no more. And the situation is made more complicated by the fact that most decent Blu Ray players "upscale" DVD to 1080 pixels. I have conducted numerous comparisons and, really, I can see no difference between a decent DVD and Blu-Ray on my excellent player. Maybe I am going blind !

Which is not to say that you should not buy the disk, obviously ! The quality of the original broadcast was superb and Decca know what they are doing. And the sound is impressive.But the picture is just a touch disappointing. I would expect Blu-Ray to be better than the telly but it wasn't. One way or another, buy it !

5.0 out of 5 stars 2011 New year's concert., 18 Oct. 2011
My wife and I watch/listen to this every year on New Year's day, and this year, we were particularly taken with some of the pieces chosen. This double cd is a delight and a very happy memory.

5.0 out of 5 stars New Year 2011, 16 Dec. 2011
As usual an excellent double CD recording, especially if you enjoy each year the the New Year concerts from Wiener.

5.0 out of 5 stars As Good as the Broadcast, 25 Oct. 2011
We watch the New Year's concert from Vienna every year and this was one of the best. I've bought the CD as an early Xmas present for my other half though he hasn't had it yet, I'm sure he will be impressed. And the price is great too. We saw this very same CD in Vienna recently, on sale at E24.50. What a saving! How soon will the 2012 concert CD be released? Can't wait to get it.

2.0 out of 5 stars New Years concert 2011., 11 Feb. 2012
Helen Lore Zetter "helen zetter" (wisboroughgreen w.susex u.k.) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I was somewhat disapointed with this disc having colleceted all the previous 'New Year Concerts' on disc.It certainly did not have the razamataz of the Austrian other new year music.This New Year concert is very special,to get a ticket for the live evening is a bit like getting a ticket for the last night of the 'Proms'.I have since bought this years New Year's concert on disc from Amazon which is back to the old format and far more enjoyable and much more of the old Viennies music.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice but broken.., 28 Dec. 2012
Excellent sound as this orchestra is probably the best of all.
The only problem is that the cd-case came broken.

2.0 out of 5 stars Frankly worse than most!, 2 Jan. 2012
London orchestral players nickname for the conductor of this New Years Day concert is 'Frankly, worse than most!' and that about sums it up...

4.0 out of 5 stars very good, 12 Nov. 2011
typical new years concert cd arrived promptly and no problems what else am I expected to say about a cd - this is madness and amazon peple who thought this up should be fired for time wasting.