5.0 out of 5 stars Astonishing
Is this woman the greatest singer in the world?
On the evidence of this stupendous disc, one could be forgiven for thinking so.
Published on 24 Mar 2011 by GlynLuke

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice voice but very poor track selection
Another reviewer asks if she has the best voice in the World? While she has a lovely voice she is not in the same league as El'ina Garanca who is the finest mezzo-soprano singing today.

My problem with this album isn't her voice but the track selection. The producers have provided us with 16 tracks of what they think we, the great unwashed, should listen to and...
Published on 22 Feb 2012 by Trev-R

5.0 out of 5 stars Astonishing, 24 Mar 2011
GlynLuke (York UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Is this woman the greatest singer in the world?
On the evidence of this stupendous disc, one could be forgiven for thinking so.
In recent years we have been lucky to have in our midst several marvellous mezzos. I think immediately of the late, universally lamented Lorraine Hunt Lieberson, as well as, for example, the feisty Susan Graham and the cool, aristocratic Bernarda Fink - but surely few sing with the sheer panache, the almost dangerous, devil-may-care quality of Joyce DiDonato.
There is a gutsy ripeness a mezzo can summon up which isn`t so easily available to a soprano. Here is a mezzo whose range is remarkable (hear her low notes!) and whose accuracy of pitch, beauty of tone and luminous legato are always in the service of emotional truth and a bounteous musicality.
The Amazon description above tells you all you need to know about the premise of this enterprising and wholly successful venture, so I won`t rehearse it here. But what a novel, yet so simple, idea, with a not-too predictable choice of arias from a stylistically eclectic range of operas, including, I`m glad to say, some wonderfully sung Berlioz.
They are sung with what I can only call an extreme joie de vivre, a vibrant joyousness which communicates directly, viscerally to the listener with the force of blazing sunlight. Some singers sing. This singer sings to me. What she must be like to hear live I can only imagine, and tremble at the thought.
I`ve heard Ms DiDonato interviewed, but even had I not I would know this is a woman of wit, humour, passion, intense humanity, and not a little sauce.
The excellent crime writer Donna Leon, each of whose novels contains an epigraph taken from a Mozart opera, has dedicated one of her books to her. Now, that`s praise.
If you love great singing, or if you just love opera, you will have to hear this splendid release. Towards the end I began to wonder if I could take much more, so glorious, so utterly sublime is the voice bursting through the speakers. In truth, I could have gone on listening for hours.
Essential, in every way.

5.0 out of 5 stars If it's Joyce the Voice I just LOVE it, 9 Feb 2014
KKirkwood "food lover" (Kettering, England UK) - See all my reviews
Sensational voice which I first heard when she sang at the Proms lasy night last September. I was captivated then and have been ever since.

5.0 out of 5 stars A delight, 17 Dec 2013
I knew few of these pieces but that only enhanced my enjoyment of this fantastic performance.
Joyce is an extraordinary singer.

4.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 25 Mar 2013
I bought this disc after hearing Joyce Didonato Live from the Met in Maria Stuarda. I wanted to recapture the richness, depth and power of her voice. This disc is an excellent vehicle for her talents.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful voice beautifully recorded, 30 Jan 2012
Jeg Good "alpinegardener" (penmaenmawr, conwy United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
If you have not heard Joyce DiDonato sing and are found of opera and the mezzosoprano voce, you should remedy that deficiency immediately, quite simply she is wonderful. This recording of some well known but mostly lesser known arias is high quality and enchanting.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a voice, 13 Oct 2013
Roy Spackman (Wales U,.K) - See all my reviews
What a voice and a great recording having heard her on the Last Night of the Proms even though I have these arias by other singers Roy

5.0 out of 5 stars Didonato at her best, 24 May 2014
A. Dymoke-Bradshaw (Bucks, U.K.) - See all my reviews
Really great album by this fabulous singer. Can't get enough of her. Go listen to her live, you'll not regret the effort.

5.0 out of 5 stars Diva Divo, 21 Mar 2013
What a voice! What a voice! If you are new to Joyce Didonato (like I am still) then please do get an album, sit back and be prepared to feel the hairs on the back of your neck stand on ends. Relax and let her voice wash over you. Whatever you do, you will enjoy Joyce Didonato and her beautiful voice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Joyce, 19 Feb 2013
This review is from: "Diva, Divo" (MP3 Download)
Brilliant selection of classics. Excellent production
recommend for anyone loving this vibrant female voice and wanting to hear her range

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting new approach to vocal art., 27 Nov 2014
An intelligent research into Baroque and bel canto Music - with surprising juxtapositions of operatic rôles. Great singing.

"Diva, Divo"