on 22 March 2011
This is a very honest, open and, most importantly, funny true life story about the realities of living with clinical depression.
Anyone who has, or are close to someone who has, suffered from the condition knows how horrific and destructive it can be. They'll also know that often the only way to cope is through the blackest of black humour and this is what Matt Shaw shows here.
He doesn't shy away from the often selfish nature of depression, or the way it makes those suffering through it often dislikeable or even cruel at times. He readily acknowledges the negative impact it's had on his relationships and development.
But, and it's a very big but, he proves that a sense of humour and self-awareness can be the biggest weapons in the arsenal of anyone who's been affected by this horrible illness.
As he states from the outset, this isn't a book that offers a cure, or even a way through, depression. But it does show that such things are possible and do-able.
The cartoons are hilarious, too.
Highly recommended.
on 8 March 2011
I read this book and wanted to put my support firmly behind the author. It is incredibly well written, compelling and a difficult to read insight into the mechanics of a troubled mind. It made me uncomfortable because I suspect there are many seemingly happy and stable people in my circle of friends who may be fighting demons and hiding it. I sincerely wish the author good luck with his fight as it appears it is not over yet but hopefully its the byproduct of genius tendencies and he will make himself a fortune, buy a desert island and live happily ever after.
on 4 January 2011
Having read the author's introduction to this on the Kindle Forums I decided to download the sample to see if this was worth adding to my ever growing "to read list".

I'm pleased to say that it is indeed worth downloading. From the beginning the author points out that this is not a self help book, it's not meant to hold the cure for depression and the answers for all those nagging questions you may well have, but details some of the struggles faced when living with depression.
Depression is a debilitating disease, it stops "normal" thought processes working, causes havoc with day to day functioning of a person and worst of all suffers often find themselves causing pain and anguish for loved ones trying to help them.

Matt Shaw's dark humour works well for me in this, saying aloud all those things you'd love to tell a doctor when they ask that dreaded question "how are you feeling today?"

im fine is a fantastic read, and an excellent example of how someone can feel when they're suffering from this illness. I would definitely recommend this; it's entertaining but also informative in places. Plus the illustrations are highly entertaining, don't think I've giggled so much!!
on 2 June 2012
I'm a big fan of the work of Matt Shaw, and of the man himself - so I think I subconsciously put off reading this, as I was worried it would be too personal and that it was so far out of my comfort zone that I'd feel uncomfortable reading it. I couldn't have been more wrong! It's obviously tackling a serious subject and is brutally honest, but with a lot of humour thrown in. I have never suffered from depression myself, but I know a lot of people who do, and this book has given me a bit of insight into some of the things they might be going through, and how to handle it!
I'm really glad I decided to read this. I got such a lot out of it, I appreciated the honesty and also the funny little cartoons which really made me laugh. I had to sit and have a good think when I'd finished this, about some of the stuff I'd read - and to me, that's the mark of a good book!
on 30 April 2013
Although stated within the first page that this book is not a self help one, it is actually more helpful than you may think. Although it doesn't present solutions or cures to anyone dealing with mental illness, it shows you an insight to the mind of someone dealing with depression. The honesty of Matt's thoughts and feelings as he lives with this illness is helpful to anyone suffering with it as it helps to show people that they are not alone in how they feel. I found myself reading certain parts and thinking how I myself can relate to these things and found it comforting to realise that it's not just me. As serious a subject as this is to cover, I love how Matt has also brought across his great sense of humour (as dark as it may be at times, which is not uncommon in depression)to help inspire others that as horrible as it is to live with this type of illness, there are things to help you through. Overall i found this a must read for anyone struggling with depression (or even friends of people battling with it) it's serious but lined with elements of humour, presented at times through cartoon sketches. Well written Matt.
on 17 February 2015
I bought this and it sat in my Kindle for quite a long time before I read it. The reason being...
I had read a few of Matt Shaw's fiction books (various genres) and really enjoyed them. A part of me wanted the stories to stand alone and not have a personal story attached to them. I have a few favourite authors (all of whom are dead now, so watch out Shaw!), and never before have I read about any of them on a personal level/ about their life.

I finally did read it. I was very glad I did. I set aside Matt's other pieces of writing in my head and treated this independently.

I too have suffered depression and was a self harmer for years (over 20, in fact). A lot of what was written I could relate to. It was rather comforting.

Matt speaks openly about the working girls he saw. This, I couldn't relate to... But it made me think it may have made me feel better if iI had had the chance! He he.

Matt remains his humours self throughout the book. He gave me a few giggles!

In conclusion- don't let it put you off if you have read his other books. Great if you want an inside peek at living with depression. A comforting read if you want to relate to another sufferer of depression.
on 8 March 2011
I must say I am glad I found this book. The author has been brutally honest about his thoughts and feelings and although this can make for very uncomfortable reading for some, for me it was something I could relate to as a person with depression that was/is in a relationship with someone with bi-polar.
Though the book deals with a very serious subject, the author has a great (albeit DARK) sense of humour and you'll find yourself laughing out loud at random intervals. The comic strips are great and add that little extra fun and humour to the whole experience.

To tell you how good the book is: the sample was on my Kindle at 10, by 10.15 I had purchased the book and a few hours later I had finished reading it. I couldn't put it down... The sincerity of it all struck a chord with me!

This I dare say is a must have for those who suffer from depression/bi-polar/etc... for those in a relationship with someone with any of the above mentioned and for those who are just curious about what it really feels like.

To the author: Matt, thank you!!
on 29 August 2014
Had this book and while and finally got down to reading it. I read it in one night. I wish I had read it sooner. So much of what was in here resonated with my own issues and crazy head. (Not that I am calling Matt crazy of course) but it is some kind of relief to know that there are others who feel the same. Even down to a part with a therapist when he had to try and talk to himself as if he wasn’t himself. I have had to do this and had the same thoughts Matt did.
I hope eventually Matt finds some peace and I hope he keeps on writing. I won’t spoil anything for other readers, but for Matt. I totally love the sun cream story :D
on 6 May 2013
"I'm fine" is a great book in my opinion. As the author explains its not a self help guide just his own thoughts and experiences of depression. I've read dozens of books on the subject over the years, some great and some worthless. This book, in my humble view is one of the best and I can honestly say that it helped me with some of own personal issues. In fact, the day I read it I was having mixed feelings about going to a doctors appointment the next day. I'm happy to say that as a result of this book I kept that appointment. I highly recommend it.
on 3 January 2015
An insight into the mind of a great author. If you've ever suffered from depression it's easy to relate to how Matt's feeling in this book (although he does put it bluntly how I wish I could). Even so a great read!