5.0 out of 5 stars Come live with me and be my love
I bought this recently because of my increasing interest in Marlowe.

Published on 13 Jan. 2012 by L. Power

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting to compare with Shakespeare.
I'd read a little about 'Kit' Marlowe but this book gave me much more about the man and his work.
Well worth the money
Published 17 months ago by Kindle Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Come live with me and be my love, 13 Jan. 2012
L. Power "nlp trainer" (San Francisco) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Life & Complete Works Of Christopher Marlowe (Kindle Edition)
I bought this recently because of my increasing interest in Marlowe.

I find this to be a very engaging work because Scarsbrook has done an enormous amount of research on Marlowe's life, many of the details of which are contained herein, the text of the letter from the Privy Council to Cambridge enabling him to get his degree, the infamous Baines report, where he is accused by a fellow spy, the coroners report on the great reckoning in the little room, which led to Marlowe's untimely death, or was it staged so that he could avoid the headman's axe. It also includes details of the pardon of his accused murderer Frizer, and the interest of the queen in the matter.

If you are a Shakespeare fan like me, you may be struck by the huge similarity in style and use of language between both. Shakespeare, born in the same year as Marlowe, yet to publish his first poem at the time of Marlowe's death. Venus and Adonis followed shortly after Marlowe's death.

I would not call this particualr collection complete, but it certainly has the greatest hits. One of my favorite pieces is The Passionate Shepherd. I am also enjoying the play Faust. Two of Marlowe's plays have been made into movies, Faust with Richard Burton and Elizabeth Taylor, and Edward II by Derek Jarman.

Several weeks after Marlowe's death Shakespeare published his first poem Venus and Adonis, which made many allusions to Hero and Leander. Both are tragic poems. Both poems refer to each other by title, and several phrases are common to both poems. Yet Venus and Adonis refers to a poem by Marlowe which would not be published for several years. And Hero and Leander refers to a poem which had yet to be published. How is this possible?

Another book I am currently reading a book by Calvin Hoffman lists over 200 parallel phrases that occur in both Shakespeare and Marlowe:

Whoever loved, loved not at first sight. C Marlowe, Passionate Shepherd & W Shakespeare, As you Like It.

Was this the face that launched a thousand ships And burnt the topless towers of Ilium? C Marlowe (Kindle Locations 55195-55196.

She is a pearl, whose price hath launched above a thousand ships. Shakespeare (Troilus and Cressida)

I think you will enjoy it, and I hope this was helpful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential Kit, 3 July 2012
The joy of possessing a kindle! Now I can read Christopher Marlowe whenever I want to. His work has such a direct and personal feel, who can resist someone who writes 'Where both deliberate the love is slight:Who ever loved, that loved not at first sight?'

I find inspiration in so many of his words:

'Nature that framed us of four elements
Warring within our breasts for regiment
Doth teach us all to have aspiring minds
Our souls, whose faculties can comprehend
The wondrous architecture of the world
And measure every wandering plantet's course
Still climbing after knowledge infinite'

Go Kit!

I also enjoy his forcefully expressed opinions:

'I count religion but a childish toy,
And hold there is no sin but ignorance.'

For me this book is unbelievably good value. And to be able to read about Christopher Marlowe's life as well. Wonderful.

4.0 out of 5 stars incommon with shakespeare, 14 May 2014
The writing style is very much like Shakespeare's which is to be expected as both were born in same year as each other and if like anything in the film Shakespeare in love is to believed they rubbed shoulders often thier personalities are a lot different but the style of writing is not, some might find it hard to understand the language they use but then I find it hard sometimes to undrerstand the language of our times especially the language of chavs (I can't make out a single word they say, there were two on local bus other day I thought they were speaking russian that is not probably not the point ) that being said once you get used to thier style with that I mean Marlowe and Shakespeare not the chavs (as thats not the point of my review just an observation) it is rather enjoyable as you just not get only the plays but quite a lot of background into Marlowe's life what he was like and what he looked like and who he knew anyone not familiar with his work will find this a treasure trove what got me intrested was his play about The Tragical History of Doctor Faustus.

5.0 out of 5 stars Marlowe revisited, 20 April 2014
A most compelling book by one of Shakespeares contempories,that is a most gratifying read.The stories of sculldugery,treason,love and lust, all come to life under the pen and invention of Marlowe,one of Englands great playwrights

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent., 1 Mar. 2014
The service was perfect .the product is superb. All you need to know about Christopher Marlowe is here. Enthrall ing stuff.

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting to compare with Shakespeare., 29 Nov. 2013