5.0 out of 5 stars Everyone should read this book
It's quick, it's easy, it's not preachy, it's positive. It's packed full of good advice and examples from Richard Branson's own life. He calls them his "lessons in life". He also says, "A journey of a thousand miles starts with that first step" -- and he's right. Reading this book, by the friendly genius that the media has dubbed a...
Published on 9 Mar 2006

1.0 out of 5 stars Somewhat naive and out of date
The trouble with this book is that it is written by a baby boomer who shares his generation's naive, rose tinted view of the world that comes from living in an era of unprecedented prosperity and the self help he offers is quite dated as a result.

He begins with some good pop psychology that has some merit although it has become terribly cliched these days...
Published 3 months ago by Amazon Customer

‹ Previous | 113 14 15 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a book for adults, 20 Sep 2007
Daniel John Todd (West Yorkshire, England) - See all my reviews
After reading both 'Screw it lets do it' and Bransons Autobiography, I came away with the feeling that I just read a children's, then adults book. This isn't a criticism per-say. I would highly recommend this too any young teens seeking inspiration, but if your wanting depth this wont suite you.

The only other thing I'll say is even with dyslexia, this book only took me 2 hours to read...

1.0 out of 5 stars Quite the worst book I've read in years..., 16 Nov 2006
This book really is drivel. I've no idea whether Branson had any hand in writing it or whether his secretary helped knock it up on a Friday afternoon. Its thin and full of trite and cliched ideas that seem to boil down to mindless enthusiasm in a woolly jumper. I have set up and sold several businesses and I can seriously recommend that you do not read this book under any circumstances let alone imagine it will help you become an entrepreneur! For the first time in ages I was inspired to rip a book up and actually throw it away. Painfully bad.

3.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring in parts, he is a lucky man, 12 Sep 2006
What I got out of this book: I realise from reading this book that I would like to set more goals and targets in my life, and that I could benefit from thinking more posotively sometimes.

Richard's views on life are very blinded by the life that he has led, he has clearly been brought up to be independant and to take risks. He often makes recommendations that are just not possible for all of us, it is his belief that you should enjoy the job you are in, and if you don't, you should leave it and find another one. Hmmm it really is that easy guys.

He has clearly taken many risks, and faced financial ruin on many occassions, whilst he has been fortunate and the risks have paid off, he could very easily have not been so fortunate, and in that circumstance the book would be telling you how not to live your life!

That said, there are some important lessons in there, some which even he does not follow (although he believes that he does, such as 'how important family are'.... when he goes of on trips alone which could easily kill him!).

For the price it is worth the inspiration and worth the insight into this mans lucky life. But do not expect to gain the insight into making your first million.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Man is a Living Legend!, 6 Sep 2006
I originally wrote this review for my website [...] thought id post it here as well just to let everyone what a good book it is!

I have to admit that Im not a regular reader. However the offering of reading about Richard Branson is always something I like the sound of. He is an inspiration to everyone, whether you are a business person or not. I still find it incredible the size and the amount of businesses he has built up, he is truly a living legend.

I was expecting this book to be a bit self-promoting and boastful, but its not. The experiences he talks about are incredible, they begin from when he was very young to things that have happened in more recent times. Near the end of the book he even talks about when he turned 40, and was at an all-time low, possibly in a mid-life crisis. For a man like him to talk about something like that shows he is not dissimilar to you and I.

The book is only a short read (128 pages). Because of the nature of the subjects he talks about and the way its straight to the point you won't get bored reading, you may even read it all in one go. Don't buy this book if you want Richard Branson to tell you how to get rich, but do buy it if you want to learn about him and the things he believes in, those things that have led him to such huge success.

1.0 out of 5 stars An insult to one's intelligence, 18 Feb 2007
This is definitely one of the most pointless books I've read. It is part of Virgin's 'Quick Reads' series which they describe as "books [which] are written to appeal not only to emergent readers but to anyone wanting a quick, powerful and fast-paced read". I think the two aims are mutually exclusive. They've (I say 'they' rather than 'he' because I can't think there's any way Richard Branson himself wrote this) clearly succeeded on the first count but failed dismally on the second. The book is supposed to be the key insights of a leading entrepreneur on how to succeed, both in life and, more particularly, in business. As an entrepreneur myself I thought it might be interesting. But it's written in the same style as a children's book. Hugely over-simplistic. Very shallow. No substance whatsoever. Yes, like all good children's books it contains a moral or two, but that's as much as you're likely to get out of it. A sublime waste of time. It doesn't leave the reader feeling inspired; it leaves the reader feeling insulted. Just exactly how stupid do the editors think we are?!

4.0 out of 5 stars mr branson uncovered, 4 Oct 2011
a great read, whizzed through pretty quickly but thats because it was such an easy interesting read. bought this mainly because i wanted some business tips and i didn't know much about richard branson, in here you get an in depth understanding of waht makes branson tick and some business tips to boot, not a manual on how to operate a business but a guide to how to deal with people and companies professionally and still have fun

2.0 out of 5 stars Repetition of the old book, 12 Dec 2010
If you have read his other book(loosing my virginity which is extremely good) this book is a very short and repetition of the other book and really did not have anything special

5.0 out of 5 stars Go for Gold, you've got what it takes, 28 Mar 2006
I read this book in under two hours and I had a better appreciation of the values and beliefs of the man Richard Branson.
The book summarises the challenges he faced in building up his music business, his airline and train companies as well as the difficult decisions he has had to make. He tells us that life is about challenges which draws us closer to achieving our goals.
Dream on...

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth every penny!, 6 Nov 2006
This is Branson at his very best - to the point, simple, concise and unpredictable! This booklet is a perfect beach or garden read; it is witty, fun and inspiring. I enjoyed reading about Branson's piloting roots (his mother taught the WW2 pilots to glide/fly) and also about the almost frightening determination of his character to win everything (he almost drowned trying to win his Aunt's bet that he would learn how to swim aged only 5!). Definitely worth every penny!

4.0 out of 5 stars Full of enthusiasm. A little too optimistic perhaps, 6 April 2006
Mr. Neil Miller (London) - See all my reviews
Full of Richard Branson beans, with the message that to be a success you should do that which is most fun to YOU.
Risk taking is required, but only if the odds are in your favour (i.e. you should not have your head in the clouds).
I wonder whether there is a little more to his success than he even he himself is aware of. Such as a streak of ruthlessness perhaps?
There are a few apparent inconsistencies, such as where he said you should be loyal to your staff but then said he had to make some redundant during a financial crisis. There was no mention that he attempted to re-hire them as soon as he could.
Overall positive and motivating, and in combination with experience and other business training is very useful I'm sure.
When I'd read it I thought "Screw it, lets bin it". And I did.

‹ Previous | 113 14 15 | Next ›