on 4 August 2005
After having read through my collection of holiday reading, I begrudgingly followed my boyfriend's advice and read '50 facts' and I have to admit it was a really interesting read..and it certainly made me think. Each fact is well explained in a concise way, with enough detail to interest you without being overwhelming. I've recommended it to many friends and it has provided a basis for many intelligent sounding conversations! I'd say that this book should be read by everybody, a really good read.
on 5 May 2004
50 Facts that should change the world is an astoinishing piece of writing. The author, Jessica Williams impressively crafts fifty statistics into thought provoking, hard-hitting facts which indeed, should change the world.
'There are 27 million slaves in the world today'. This fact epitomises what the book successfully conveys from cover to cover. Extensive media coverage has opened our eyes to poverty around the world. However, few would know that the slave trade is still a significant part of society in country's such as Sudan, South Asia and Pakistan.
'Cars kill two people every minute'. A great majority of us spend so much time travelling that this is a terrifying fact. Like many facts in this book, Williams points out shocking statistics that potentially effect our lives on a day-to-day basis.
The fifty facts that Williams uses cleverly implies the shocking inequalities and contradictions evident in every day life. Hopefully, if more people read this 'eye-opener', we will avoid driving into an inevitable moral and social 'cul-de-sac'.
11 comment|65 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 March 2013
A great book you can dip into whenever you want. Full of interesting facts. This is an easy read or something that you can turn to if you want specific informstion
on 9 April 2007
This brought my attention to many things, its very inspiring and motervating. I can't say I agree with everything she said, but I think she gives you the room for that, to make your own opinion. This book has helped make me look at the World in a different way. The facts really should change the World
on 9 November 2012
The book is a good read with some notable information. But the author stresses too much on events and vain opinions regarding the West. Some facts such as overeating & starving in Western societies are irrevelent to most of the rest of the world. People also are starving in Third World countries due to abject poverty and not because of psychological illness or lower self esteem. I think only a small percentage of people are affected by these so-called events related to food in Western world when observed from global perspective. These factors cannot change the world. Another topic is the high number of Avon ladies in Brazil. This is just a vain outlook on the part of a female Western writer regarding beauty and aesthetics ; the vast majority of people both in rich and poor countries have to struggle day in and day out for their everyday livelihood. The same is true for botox injections and cosmetic surgery. Instead she should stress the positive use of cosmetic surgery for tens of thousands of war wounded from domestic and international conflicts, rehabilitation and psychological help for millions of people suffering from physical and emotional trauma caused by wars, natural disasters, accidents etc..But many of the facts are useful read. She did'nt write about the proliferation of small arms in conflicts all over the world. These weapons killed millions of people- much more than the nuclear weapons.

Anyway, the book is a good read but much needs to be done by the author.
on 8 October 2006
As soon as I saw the headers (1/3 of the world is at war, 30 million people in Africa are HIV-positive, One in five people live on less than $1 a day) on the front cover, I had to buy this book. It gives an insight to reality and made me realise how much I don't know about the world. I was shocked to learn that:

1) More people can identify the Macdonalds logo than the christian cross

2) 10 languages die out every year

3) We're caught on camera upto 300 times a day!

I think Jessica Williams has done an excellent job in writing this book. It's a first step towards factual information and all I can say is "WAKE UP BRITAIN!"
44 comments|29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 April 2014
This book contains facts about the world that many of us would probably rather not have to think about or acknowledge because they're rather disturbing. Especially seeing as we can do little to change a lot of them in the short term. Whether it is wise or not to go through life in ignorance of important if bad things in the world is subjective. I do however believe that the more people that become aware the more who care enough can hopefully make a noise about things and maybe that will ultimately lead to changes for the better. However I would not recommend reading this if you really need something to cheer you up at the moment.
on 13 March 2014
Though I have personally not fact checked, nor am I certain that the problems described exist as prevalently today as they did during the release of the book I nevertheless find this book a must read for all but the most knowledgeable of academics(who probably know this stuff already). This book will tell you about a wide range of issues, such as how obesity is also a developing world phenomena, how mines still hurt people decades after their wars were finished, and how China has millions of women missing(possibly because they were never born).
on 24 January 2014
We know the world is going to Hell in a handcart that is being collectively rolled along by all of us careless and ignorant humans. Not much new here. The 50 changes are the bad ones - I thought this was going to be about good ways that, if enacted, could improve things, but no - this is the same old, same old, doom laden prophecies we have all heard before.
on 9 September 2009
Good, factual, surprising fact sabout the world we are living in... should make us think a lot about life!For those who care....