4.0 out of 5 stars Good headphones for travelling Android users
Published 3 months ago by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but didn't last long enough
I bought these after reading lots of reviews, and trying to find headphones that had a hands-free option as well as being good headphones in their own right. I was impressed with the sound quality and the hands free worked great.
Published on 23 July 2012 by Jon

4.0 out of 5 stars Good headphones for travelling Android users, 8 May 2014
Reason for purchase: I primarily use these while travelling (driving/National Rail/TFL [Tube]) and wanted something that would allow voice and music player control in the remote so I don't have to faff about with my phone in public. Given the dearth of choices for headphones with android remote functionality I picked these based on price and previous experiences with the Sennheiser brand (good) and didn't want an 'inline' (one-button) remote.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini (GT-I9195)
Android: 4.2.2
Music Player: Poweramp (2.0.9-build-554-play (full version))
User: male, 30's, finance professional.
Price paid: 45.34 (Sold by Amazon EU S.a.r.L.) the white version is more expensive than the black ones for some reason.

Positives
(a). Sound Quality: Seems good, no worse than some, more expensive, headphones I have tried for home use. Headphones are always tested by me using Part I of Stravinksy's The Rite of Spring at a medium to high i.e. loud, but comfortable, volume. I don't pay much heed to technical numbers with headphones anymore (I learnt that sometimes they list frequency responses humans can't even hear after a certain age!)
(b). Functionality (Calls): Plus/minus adjust the volume and the middle button takes and hangs up calls. Haven't attempted anything else in a call. Mic quality seems good; though I haven't used it in a very loud/busy environment.
(c). Functionality (Music Player): Unbeknown to me initially the functionality seems to vary by music player (app). My app of choice is Poweramp with alternative being Google Play Music.
Plus/minus - volume controls
Single-click - play/pause (and pickup/hangup call if received while player is on)
Double-click - skip forward one track
Triple-click - skip back to beginning of track/skip back one track (if already at the beginning of the track). N.B. the triple-click does nothing in Google Play Music (you go forward a track).
Poweramp - when pressing the middle button you get audible beeps so you know how many times you pressed. N.B. not applicable in Google Play Music. The Google Play Music differences might be something to do with the app settings, I never checked.

Build/Quality: good, what you'd expect. With sensible use and care they should last a while (see caveat below), my previous Sennheiser in-ear headphones are still going (if only the had a remote!). These look decent too, the white headphones go with my white S4 Mini.

Areas to Improve ("Negatives")

1. No case/pouch: a carry pouch would have been useful. I've used the pouch from my previous pair of Sennheiser's but without a case/pouch the headphones durability/longevity will, likely, be lower.
2. No clip: a (removable) clip near or at the remote would be handy so I could fasten it to my collar/suit.

For reasons 1 and 2 I could not give it 5 stars.

Other

User experience may deviate from mine by Android version / phone manufacturer. This seems to be more an issue with android than with headphone manufactures though. If you've got a Galaxy phone and an Android version the same (or better) than mine then your experience will likely be the same.

Valen

5.0 out of 5 stars The lovechild of the CX-300's and Apple earphones, 3 Sep 2012
J. Akers (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sennheiser MM 30i Ear-Canal Headset (Electronics)
I had been a happy owner of a pair of Sennheiser CX-300's for over 2 years until I stood on them and snapped off an ear piece, since then i've been using the bundled Apple iPhone earphones. Although the sound quality has dropped and they constantly fall out of my ears i've found the inline volume and control buttons as well as the microphone to be really very handy.

As i've just started a gym membership I wanted to upgrade to something that would stay in my ears while exercising, block out the other sounds and have high quality sound. I was about to purchase another pair of CX-300's as they are exactly that but thought: "Is there a way to combine the features of the CX-300's with the Apple earphones?" I tried putting both earphones in a tank together to see if they would mate but alas! there was no need...

The answer is yes and they come in the form of the MM 30i's.

There's an obvious price difference between the CX-300's and the MM 30i's but it is well worth it in my opinion. The controls work on my iPhone, iPad and the iPod Nano I wear as a watch. There are up and down volume controls as well as a centre button which can Play (one click), Pause (one click), Skip track (two clicks), Skip back one track (three clicks), Answer Calls (one click), and End Calls (one click). The only thing I would change is that the controls are placed on the left hand wire (good for lefties?) instead of the right like the Apple earphones, it's no biggie though.

The earphones come in a see-through plastic box and contain the earphones, instructions and a set of 3 various sized earpieces to guarantee a good fit in your ear. As with all Sennheiser products I have used the MM 30i's are built to a high standard and sound fantastic.

All in all, if you're looking to upgrade from the standard Apple earphones or want extra functionality than your CX-300's you can't go wrong with choosing the MM 30i's.

5.0 out of 5 stars Price vs Value vs Quality = Big Winner, 9 July 2013
This review is from: Sennheiser MM 30i Ear-Canal Headset (Electronics)
As a lover of music and podcasts having a pair of headphones that deliver crisp audio while cutting out background noise is pretty important to me. I spend quite a lot of time on pubic transport and generally moving around so also tend to lose a pair every 3-6 months.

Comfort:
Very comfortable: I can see myself happy for extended durations

Audio quality:
They offer a solid high and mid-range sound with crisp features.
The bass is pretty solid, having tested on my mac and iPhone, it could be better but at the relatively low price point it's decent.
On noise isolation they're pretty standard for in-ear's

Cheaper option:
I've been buying Sony MDR-EX50LP's for a long time as they're pretty cheap but these beat them all round in audio quality

More expensive:
From what I can read my next step up is probably a 150 investment in some Shure 315's or higher, although as I lose these things so often I'm reluctant right now :-)

Conclusion:
For the money these are on the ball. You're not going to get the quality of a pair of 150 headphones but they're a great upgrade, it feels that they'll last and the added bonus of having a microphone so I can use it for calls and audio is awesome.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Mighty Atom?, 28 April 2011
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I was pleasantly surprised by the performance of the MM30i headset, the sound quality is excellent with no obvious impairment to the experience of music range and no hideous tinniness. Initially I was concerned by the position of the controls and their minuscule size, empirically , however, the positioning is obviously the result of much research by Sennheiser as the microphone is at what must be the optimum distance from the average users mouth, it works well for me so who am I to carp? Unfortunately the size of the controls does give cause for concern and requires some practice before a satisfactory level of unconscious operation is achieved.

This is my first real experience of the new generation of inner ear headphones and I am impressed, small and perfectly formed, effective and unobtrusive, what more can one ask?

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but didn't last long enough, 23 July 2012
This review is from: Sennheiser MM 30i Ear-Canal Headset (Electronics)
Unfortunately, after 8 months they don't work because the wires to the jack are somehow not connecting. This doesn't seem like a long time for them to break, although they have been heavily used daily on a commute.

So the product is great, but it didn't last as long as I wanted it to. But then again, I've still to find headphones that do last very long without the cord breaking or losing connectivity :/

4.0 out of 5 stars good clear sound, 11 Mar 2014
SBno1 - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This review is for the MM30g not the MM30i. Amazon are putting the reviews together.

I ordered the MM30g in error thinking that it was for my iPhone 4s as both appear under the same page. When it turned up I didn't think they were going to work properly, but they do. The sound up/down, double/triple tap to skip back and forth, answer calls and hang up. However, the controls didn't work with the iPod shuffle 3rd generation, not sure about other models - so there is definitely a difference between the headsets, so be careful which ones you select.

If you are not used to ear-buds, then they can take a little getting used to. Pushing something right into your ear canal can be a little odd at first. You will need to experiment with the 3 different sizes to get a comfortable fit. Too tight and they can cause a little pain after wearing them for a while, too lose and external noise enters and they have a habit of falling out. If you get the buds right they will sit in your ears and block out external sounds to enable you to lower the sound levels and protect your hearing.

The sound is clean with a good base level to it. Phone calls are clear, but a little metallic sounding. I was out walking on a windy day when I took a call on the phone. I had no problem hearing the caller and they were able to hear me, though i did have to put the speaker nearer to my mouth when talking. There is a generous amount of lead so you should be able to fit it into any pocket and have enough reach. If you are out running and the lead is bouncing around then you can expect noise to travel along the lead if it thumps against your body. You will also hear every crunch of your food if you are eating with these in (as you do with any ear-bud).

The only negative point I can find is in the design of the switch panel. It is squared off and as such can snag on clothing. It would have been better if it had been softly tapered off so if it hits a zip, fold, collar etc it would slide over it instead of acting like an anchor. When it snags it tends to pull the bud clean out of your ear.

A bit on the pricey side at the current cost of 50GBP, but you get a good quality pair of buds for that.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works with iphone 4s Siri, 25 Jan 2012
This review is from: Sennheiser MM 30i Ear-Canal Headset (Electronics)
I bought these headphones to use with my iphone 4s. I don't really like the ones apple provide with the phone because I like the noise isolation of these headphones, plus these are more inconspicuous than the bright white apple ones. I have the sennheiser CX 300-II also which have been going strong for almost 3 years but I needed the voice control that these headphones provide. The voice control works with Siri which is the main thing that I needed because this means I can use my phone when I'm out without ever having to take it out. Other than that there isn't much to comment on, the sound quality is as you'd expect from a pair of sennheisers and I think the mic quality is fine too (haven't heard any complaints from anyone I've been on the phone to). The only downside is the noise isolation isn't as good as with the CX 300-II; the headphones are a slightly different shape which I think affects how good of a seal they can form in your ear. However, the fact that I can still hear what is going on around me to some extent isn't a totally bad thing because as I said I wear these only when I'm out so it's good to be able to hear the tube announcements or what's going on around me generally. It would have been nice to have some dedicated music buttons for moving between tracks as well.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value, Decent Sound Quality. Excellent Construction., 13 Nov 2011
Onthemotorway (Surrey, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sennheiser MM 30i Ear-Canal Headset (Electronics)
I've had these earphones for around 3 months so thought it was about time to write a review.

First Impressions - nice box, fairly good instructions, 3 different sized buds going from really quite small to fairly large so these should fit most people comfortably.

Sound Quality - Initially coming from the standard Apple Earphones I wasn't blown away - yes they were better (more clarity, crisper and louder) but for the price...I wasn't sure. I was tempted to return them but figured I persevere and I'm glad I did. Once properly bedded in (I'd say at least 50 hours of use) these really did come in to their own. Sound became clearer, bass improved dramatically and the whole range got better and better.

Construction - Seem well built, mine still look like new - no exposed wires/scratches. The buds are well secured as well which hopefully should prevent them getting stuck in your ear (it does happen).

Criticism - The remote is too close to your face, I struggle to adjust the volume as I can't see what I'm doing. It needs to be a further down/separate from the microphone. They tangle very easily - more so than the Apple ones.

Conclusion - Give them a chance to bed in and you won't be disappointed. Nice earphones and good value for money.

4.0 out of 5 stars superb pair of headphones, 28 April 2011
Silverfrog (Leeds UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As you would expect from Sennheiser headphones the quality of the sound is superb as the earplugs fit comfortably in the ear. It's brilliant that I now have a decent pair of headphones to replace the white ones you get with the iphone which consitently fail to sit in the ear properly (as well as have bad quality sound for music). These work with my iphone and ipad very nicely. The control on the cord will allow you to raise/lower the volume of music or your call, pick up calls, use your voice to control calling as well as selecting music playlists or albums. The only think I would say is there wasn't a clip to hold the mic/remote in place for calls.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Sound and Great For Speech Too!, 6 July 2011
This review is from: Sennheiser MM 30i Ear-Canal Headset (Electronics)
I bought these to replace the horrible white set that came with my company iphone4. My phone is primarily a business tool and I bought this mainly to use as a handsfree kit at my home-office, as I need to be on the phone a lot and type or write at the same time. From this perspective, it is absolutely fantastic, the incoming call quality is incredibly clear and loud, to the extent that I rarely have it on max volume because it is uncomfortably loud (and I mean pure volume, NOT distortion). I rarely get callers saying they cant hear me and on the odd occasion it has happened, it is quickly remedied by talking a little more towards the mic.

I should say that I am definitely NOT a music buff and mainly listen to my music in my car or via a Dock, but that said the music quality (to me) is also very, very good. Again, I never have it on full volume although my hearing isn't the best, as it just doesn't need to be and quality is crisp and clear. I'm afraid I dont know enough about it to go into depth and bass etc. but it sounds sharp and rich to my ears! Although probably standard with most other decent makes/models, you also get 3 different sizes of earphone cover for maximum comfort. Cannot fault this unit in any way.

Sennheiser MM 30i Ear-Canal Headset