5.0 out of 5 stars Packing issue has been addressed
I bought this to run along side an SSD, not in raid but it works a treat. I'm using it for mass storage of music, photos and movies and duplicating them on WD live 1TB. The read and write speeds are great considering the programs used are on the SSD. I found it quiet and formatting the drive was simple. I read reviews on the WD raptor 10000rm drives (which are twice the...
Published on 14 Sep 2011 by wildwillow

3.0 out of 5 stars Started off well but it is becoming noisier
I have or have had most brands of hard drive and it's been a couple of years since I last bought a Seagate, so I thought I'd try this one. I put it in an enclosure, formatted it and copied 542 GB of data to it via Firewire 800 from my iMac, using SuperDuper to produce a back-up clone. The average copy speed was 43.51 MB/s (it took about 3 and a half hours) which is fine...
Published on 13 Oct 2011 by Discerning

2.0 out of 5 stars Great, 20 Jun 2011
This review is from: Seagate ST31000524AS 3.5 inch Barracuda 1TB GB 7200rpm SATA Drive with 32MB Buffer (Accessory)
Great drive and it looks like they've addressed the packagin issue.

Came in a foam-filled box inside a bigger box.

UPDATE - After a few hours, i noticed an oscillating hum over a 5 second cycle. I sent it back in the end as it was just too loud and resonating.

I ordered a Samsung F3 7200RPM as replacement and guess what, that vibrates too. I'm going to try a Hitachi next.

4.0 out of 5 stars Poor packing, 17 Aug 2011
The hard drive works very well. It should last forever after surviving floating around in the box with the other items. Amazon prices are good but their packing sometimes leaves a lot to desire

5.0 out of 5 stars Seagate ST31000524AS 3.5 inch Barracuda 1TB GB, 25 Oct 2012
tnis item is very good and iam very happy with this price and work very good easy good good good good

1.0 out of 5 stars AVOID this HDD like the plague, 24 Oct 2011
GabeLogan (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Bought this disk new from scan, I ran a few different softwares to monitor its health, well I'm surprised it had so many errors - RAW read error and SEEK error (look at the snaps I uploaded). After so many disk health scanners/programs I downloaded, I settled with "Active@ Hard Disk Monitor" because it was the most user friendly. I have tried using SeaTools (windows) but the scan took 3 hours to complete, and it does not say any info, it just says PASS, then I also ran the DOS version of SeaTools, and it did not detect the drive (this is really bull*** software).

Anyway, I tried calling scan and tried to ask for a replacement but they directed me to seagate's webshite, tried calling the seagate phone number but no answer.... it was an 0800 number, but then it was close and opens in 2 hours. Obviously this line was in America.

My 6 year old MAxtor drive had no errors, I also have two 1 TB Samsung drives which did not have errors, see the pictures I have uploaded.

AVOID seagate, they are crap, they have crap software, they have crap telephone support.

To sum it all up, AVOID CRAP SEAGATE!!!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars don't buy HDD's from amazon, 4 Mar 2012
the 1 star rating for this is unfair. it's just there to get your attention:
as far as i know this drive is good. i've used seagate barracuda's before and in the past i've always found them to be highly reliable and fast. the 1 star is for the way it was packed. it was packed like a standard book. who does that? puts a hard drive in a tight thin cardboard shell and expects it to be ok. well it wasn't ok. i tried to get the drive to work but it wouldnt format. so i used SeaTool, which is seagate's own diagnostic tool. i performed a test with that and got a billion errors. the program then advised me that the whole drive is unfixable and i should return it.

so yea; in short, never buy a HDD from here, they pack it like a book and if you're unlucky like me, it will be dead on arrival

4.0 out of 5 stars Disk Drive, 11 Nov 2011
Hello All... I bought 2 of these for my qnap ts212 nas.... they work - about the only thing that does on the nas !

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 21 Nov 2012
Saved my life, honest - best service ever jgjgjgjgj gngnjgjgjgjg gjgjgjgjgjg gjgjgjgjgjg bgjgjhgjhghjghjg ghghghghghg ghghghghghg ghghghghghg ghghghghgh hghghghghgh hghgh hjghgh