4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!
I bought this album for the song 'Bigger Than Us' which I saw them perform at Glastonbury several years ago. I find the song really poignant, but the rest of the album was enjoyable enough to encourage me to buy 2 more of their albums. Well worth a listen and I defy you not to like 'Bigger Than Us'
Published 3 months ago by Chris Pounde

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as White Lies' first album
An OK album, but I was expecting much more after 'To Lose My Life', which was one of the best CDs I'd bought for a long chalk.
'Ritual' is a bit samey, without the variety of 'To Lose My life'. It's ok to settle on a style, but I think the boys have gone too far with this.

But there are some good tracks, which the more I hear the more I like. 'In love' is...
Published on 12 Feb 2011 by N. Phillips

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a patch on their debut effort, 22 July 2011
This review is from: Ritual (Audio CD)
I have always liked White Lies so I was intrigued by their second album. While this album isn't bad it doesn't hook like To Lose a Life. The songs aren't as catchy and are more drawn out, less indie and more electro. Their sound has been altered which of course is inevitable when you are trying to bring out new material devoid of the characteristics of the previous record. I interviewed Charles Cave a few years back just after the release of their first album where they were playing worldwide due to the success of the first record so I am holding out hope that over time they will continue to grow and excite. Any White Lies fan should buy this because despite it's slight inferiority to the first effort it still boasts a few stellar tracks including the single Bigger than Us, Peace and Quiet and The Power and the Glory.

2.0 out of 5 stars The difficult 2nd album..., 9 Feb 2011
This review is from: Ritual (Audio CD)
After listening to 'Ritual' quite a number of times, in my view, it has proved to be a disappointment. It was always going to be difficult following on the footsteps of their excellent first album. Granted there is a slight change in musical direction, leaning towards electro / synths but apart from the first 3 songs (which includes the recent single 'Bigger than us', the rest is distinctly average. A shame really.

5.0 out of 5 stars Almost as good as my cats, 19 Feb 2011
S. Friend (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ritual (Audio CD)
Loved the first one, love this one. I don't know if White Lies think they are profound, and don't really care. They absoluteley aren't, but they make me happy.

Ritual is an album of massiveley overblown eighties-tooled goodness. Huge production, massive choruses, top tunes, lush synths and preposterous doom-laden lyrics. Sublime.

You can keep your anaemic, whiny, tuneless crap that has passed for cool in the last ten dismal years of alt-rock. Sorry, noughties youth, but I'll take White Lies over White Stipes any day.

This will do for me until the next Chameleons, Cure or (wishful thinking) Teardrops reunion.

5.0 out of 5 stars tiptoeing through the rubble and running through the flames....., 20 Jan 2011
This review is from: Ritual (Audio CD)
Don't know what peoples problems with this so called 80's time warp?! just because they are using synths it means it's 80's....when really there was some great music out in the 80s and not just cheesy pop so 80's comparisons aren't so bad!! synths and other imstruments apart from guitars adds new dimension to music although white lies are great with their guitars and drums too! this is an excellemt album, maybe lacking consistency of first album but few tracks make up for that big time!! 'the power and glory' sounds like a song chicago shouldve done back in the 80's but don't b put off by that as this song is an absoloute epic....the start is stunning- just the atmosphere of the whole song sometimes has me in goosebumps!! sometimes when you're listening to white lies harrys voice seems depressing @ times but then the music just reaches epic proportions and you forget the bleakness! the opener 'is love' is a good example of this as it starts slow-even sounding tuneless but picks up brilliantly!'strangers' is another epic when and the chorus(which doesn't come in til gone the half way mark!) just blows you away! We all know about 'bigger than us' and it's E.T themed video?!! 'Bad Love' could be it's sequel!! 'Turn the bells' is another one where the chorus doesnt come in til a bt later on in the track and yet again the atmosphere of the track is brilliant and if you're aware of producer Alan Moulders previous work such as depeche mode's Violator album...this tracks has soundscape set by that album!! Overall not as consistent but certain tracks are possibly the best music they've done and their first album took some beating!! I've said it a couple of times now but this album does have an atmosphere about it!! enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb - even better than their outstanding debut, 9 May 2011
M. Saunders "marquon" (Isle of Wight, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ritual (Audio CD)
This is one of those rare groups whose albums are filled with one great song after another, with each one standing up in its own right.

Having read some other reviews, I hesitated before buying this album, but now wished I'd trusted my instincts that a band who'd produced the great collection that their first album was (To Lose My Life...) wouldn't disappoint on their second.

White Lies simply know how to build melody and mood in a song, with exceptional hooks, and the album is superbly recorded and mixed with all elements perfectly balanced. I find myself humming different tracks during the day, which for me is always a sign that the music has real identity. While away on holiday recently, I found that I made time to listen to Ritual at least every day on my Walkman, and To Lose My Life... every other day, so I know which album has got under my skin the most! My favourite tracks currently (for what it's worth) are the outstanding Is Love, Peace & Quiet, Holy Ghost, The Power & the Glory, and in particular Turn the Bells, which has exceptional power, but for my taste the album really doesn't have a bad song on it.

I'm hoping for a short gap between this album and their third.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great 2nd Album bit of a Grower, 27 Jan 2011
This review is from: Ritual (Audio CD)
When I first heard the 1st album it took a while, but slowly it was constantly on repeat and is still the most listened to album on my Ipod

Anyways the second album, shows progression, but the band still maintain the sound that makes them different from their peers.

This album again is a grower (more so than the 1st) so i ask please be patient

The first 3 tracks a very strong and the rest of the album has that great feel of Uplifting music with melancholy lyrics.

All in all the white lies tell stories with their songs and their sound makes the stories epic.

A great album which I am certain the more I listen to the more I will like it

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceeded expectations, 17 Jan 2011
This review is from: Ritual (Audio CD)
Many songs on this album show a real leap forward in confidence and musicianship.I loved their first album but this one is fabulous - I've heard some of the tracks live at gigs this summer so it's brilliant to be able to hear them all. Just fantastic ."Is Love" and "Power and Glory" bound to be singles ...can't stop playing it

5.0 out of 5 stars WHY LIE ?, 7 Feb 2011
Bryan R. Morris (HEREFORD) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ritual (Audio CD)
AFTER A VERY GOOD FIRST ALBUM ,COULD WHITE LIES FOLLOW UP WITH A BETTER 2ND ALBUM ?

THE FIRST TRACK "IS LOVE" SOON MAKES YOU FEEL LIKE THE BOYS HAVE NEVER BEEN AWAY AND "STRANGERS" CONTINUES THE FEELING THAT A MORE FLESHY,POLISHED SOUND HAS BEEN DISCOVERED.

"BIGGER THAN US" IS PROBABLY BOTH THE BEST SONG ON THE ALBUM AND ONE OF WHITE LIES' BEST TO DATE.THEIR GREAT STRENGTH IS WRITING IN SUCH A WAY THAT YOU FEEL YOU ARE LISTENING TO A STORY.

"PEACE AND QUIET" AND "STREETLIGHTS" COMPLETE A VERY GOOD FIRST HALF TO THE ALBUM.

"HOLY GHOST" STARTS WITH A DRIVING RIFF AND THEN THE DRUMS KICK IN,THE FIRST TWO LINES"YOU WERE WRITHING ON THE FLOOR/LIKE A MOTH IN MOLASSES" PORTRAY SUCH A VIVID IMAGE.

"TURN THE BELLS" IS A SONG THAT AFTER A FEW LISTENS BURROWS INTO YOUR BRAIN LIKE A MAGGOT IN AN APPLE.

"THE POWER & THE GLORY" FINDS THE PACE AND VOLUME DROPPING DOWN A NOTCH ,NOT A BAD THING,AS THE SONG BUILDS TO A CRESCENDO.

"BAD LOVE" IS MORE RAW AND REMINISCENT OF THE FIRST ALBUM.

"COME DOWN" IS THE PERFECT FINAL SONG TO EMPHASISE THE NEW DEPTH AND CONFIDENCE IN THE WHITE LIES' SONGWRITING.

OVERALL WHITE LIES HAVE COME UP WITH AN ALBUM THAT MAY NOT BE QUITE AS IMMEDIATE AS THE FIRST OFFERING,BUT AFTER A FEW LISTENS LEAVES YOU FEELING FULFILLED.

I AM ALREADY LOOKING FORWARD TO THE THIRD ALBUM.

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressive second album, 25 Jan 2011
This review is from: Ritual (Audio CD)
Really impressed with this second offering from White Lies. The first single to be lifted from the album 'Bigger Than Us' is just a taste of the high standard throughout and really shows how the band have developed since 'To Lose My Life'.

The biggest similarity between this and their first album is the distinctive 80's feel throughout which I, for one, absolutely love. However, the production on 'Ritual' is bigger, the general mood is lighter and Harry's voice is stronger and not as influenced by the morose Ian Curtis sound.

At least a handful of the songs could be potential singles although in my opinion every track is great, with sweeping uplifting choruses in abundance. If you don't like it on first listen, you certainly will after a few plays.

I saw White Lies at Brixton Academy back in November 2009 and knew instantly that this band would be destined for bigger things. With the release of this album, it looks like I was right.

4.0 out of 5 stars Ritual, 25 April 2014
This review is from: Ritual (Audio CD)
Once again a gift for my son who appears to be totally happy with it, no problems at all, OK

Ritual