on 5 January 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This compact little cookery book contains a great variety of starters, mains, puddings, sides and more. The presentation is excellent, with easy to follow and comprehensive instructions and a mouthwatering photo to go with every recipe.

However, I really do have a niggle with some of the ingredients. Having scanned the recipes, I saw that quite a few of them contain Parmesan which is in no shape or form a vegetarian cheese as it contains rennet. The cookbook does confess that not all the cheeses contained in the recipes may be "strictly" vegetarian and that they can be substituted with vegetarian cheeses if desired. Well, sorry, I bought a vegetarian cookbook with the expectation of finding vegetarian dishes, not non-vegetarian dishes whose ingredients I can substitute with vegetarian ones! Vegetarians who don't realise that Parmesan contains rennet could very easily end up making a recipe from this cookbook and inadvertently consume meat-derived products. Furthermore, vegetarian substitutes for certain cheeses can be extremely hard to find. The only vegetarian Parmesan-style cheese that I know of is Twineham Grange Italian Style Premium Cheese which you rarely see in supermarkets.

Rant over, there are some very tasty dishes in this book. I'm actually not a vegetarian but I wouldn't miss meat at all if I ate a recipe from Veggie Feasts every day. The Fennel, Pernod & Orange Casserole was very tasty and a bit different, and all of the puddings look absolutely delicious. Some of the dishes leave something to be desired - the Goulash with Chive Dumplings was a bit flavourless and stodgy, but perhaps that's down to my fairly undeveloped cooking skills rather than the recipe itself. With two hundred recipes to choose from, there's bound to be something that everyone will enjoy.

The dishes are not too labour intensive, although they're not exactly easy either. Not being a very experienced cook, I probably found them a bit more difficult than most people will. Some of the ingredients, the herbs and spices in particular, may not be things you have stocked in your cupboard (I didn't, anyway) so it can be a bit expensive buying all these extra items. Once you've bought them, however, they'll last a while, so preparing dishes becomes a lot less money draining after that.

True vegetarians should be a little careful making recipes from this book due to the nature of some of the ingredients, but it's still a cookbook worth investing in considering how inexpensive it is. I'd definitely recommend it to carnivores too, as there are plenty of mouthwatering dishes to tempt you away from the lamb shanks and chicken breasts for a while. Hopefully it will even help to give me the willpower to turn away from meat altogether!
on 12 March 2015
A good collection of tasty and interesting recipes, all fairly easy to prepare. There is a photo for each one, which is very useful.
on 25 May 2013
Really simple and tasty receipies. Nice addition to your day to day meals. Well explained and nice pictures to make you drizzle!
on 3 December 2012
Bought this as a present for a veggie friend, The recipes are very easy to follow and the pictures nice and bright..
on 12 May 2013
This is an awesome little book with a lot of yummy recepies and all illustrated! No 1 for all "veggies"
on 27 June 2015
Fantastic book! It's very handy book, with great recipes! Can't wait to try them all! yum yum yum yum.....
on 14 November 2013
I tried several recipes from the book and love it, look forward to trying out more of the recipes to enjoy
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
200 Veggie Feasts is a practical and straightforward little cookbook, illustrated with some absolutely gorgeous photos. My mouth was watering as soon as I set eyes on the aubergine toasties with pesto (page 86) and the asparagus frittata (page 102). It's sensibly divided into logical sections - breakfast, starters, main courses, salads etc. and comes equipped with a comprehensive index. There's also plenty of general nutritional advice for vegetarians. All this in a book compact enough to slip in a coat pocket when you're next shopping for ingredients.

Only criticisms are that a couple of the dishes will probably seem a bit too exotic for most tastes (like the borderline bizarre fennel, pernod & orange casserole!) and the preparation times may well be achievable by Ms. Pickford, but struck me as slightly optimistic.

Minor quibbles aside, this is a very worthwhile addition to any vegetarian's library.
on 30 December 2011
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Having been a vegetarian for quite a few years I have spent a lot of my time trying to find good recipe books: ones that weren't filled to the rafters with cop-out recipes, such as massive pudding sections (which are of-course going to be vegetarian), or ones that have lots of different soups and a variety of pizzas, so that when you actually look they only actually contain a few useful recipes to add to your repertoire.

Although this book does at times fall into that trap, it is for the most part filled with different meal ideas, all of them looking absolutely scrummy.

Each recipe has been generously given its own photograph. They all look relatively quick and easy, with the average cooking time being 20-35 minutes. I think this book would make a nice present for a student who is hoping to be a bit more adventurous in their cooking.
on 3 February 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I got this book for some vegetarian ideas (we are not vegetarian but like to have meals based on vegetables for a change from eating meat). But it has not really given me a lot of inspiration. After flicking through it there weren't a lot of meals that I really fancied trying, particularly main meals which were what I was hoping for. I have tried a couple of recipes and they were OK, but I don't think this is a book I will use very much.

The book was too small, I would have preferred a larger book and I hate the way it won't stay open on the work top; I have to weigh each page down to keep it open whilst I work from it. I would not buy any other books from this series for that reason.