5.0 out of 5 stars Another excellent Casio Exilim camera
Published on 13 Aug 2011 by Deadilus

3.0 out of 5 stars Great camera but questionable quality
Published on 28 Mar 2011 by Paul Gillingwater

3.0 out of 5 stars Great camera but questionable quality, 28 Mar 2011
This review is from: Casio Exilim EX-ZR100 Digital Camera - Black (12.1MP, 12.5x Optical Zoom) 3 inch LCD (Electronics)
I had a lot of expectations about this camera, and gave it a thorough workout. The HDR Art capability is excellent, and the high-speed video is a lot of fun. My issue: after two weeks, the lens stopped opening or closing properly, with "Lens Error" or "Retry Power On" messages. I tried the various fixes, but it's now looking like I have to send it back under warranty for repair. I've never had such problems with other cameras.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another excellent Casio Exilim camera, 13 Aug 2011
I have previously owned two different Casio Exilim cameras (an EX-S3 (3MP) and an EX-S600 (6MP), and reading reviews of various cameras in this resolution and price range the only negative review I could find was about the interface; I can safely say the interface is pretty much the same. That said, I do like the interface (I'm familiar with it I guess) but I do occasionally find it hard to find the exact menu item required; given the number of functions the camera supports I guess it just takes a little getting used to.

In terms of functions, the camera takes some excellent photos in various modes and in a variety of lighting settings. The HDR mode has made a colleague jealous when compared to his high-end Canon SLR! Okay, I'm sure the Canon will beat it in almost all other regards, but the Exilim EX-ZR1000 camera costs 1/6th that of the Canon...

For those wanting the convenience of a small camera (i.e. no lugging around of big body cameras and/or SLR lenses), packed full of functionality, the ability to record movies (in full 1080p HD, although I have yet to do that) and spend under £250, then this camera is definitely the answer for you.

One last item to note is that, as with all high-speed / high-resolution cameras, a fast memory card is ESSENTIAL (and especially when using the Exilim's HDR and CS modes), and only a decent Class 10 SDHC (or better) memory card will do - anything less will not give you the best from this camera...

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for photos but slow motion video not as good as previous model, 9 April 2011
This is a fabulous cutting-edge digital camera great for taking pictures, but not so good for taking video clips (particularly slow motion). The 12.5x optical zoom is exceptional and coupled with this the Multi Frame SR Zoom (separate to the digital zoom) makes the overall zoom 25x with clarity. The new panorama function is quick and accurate.

The brilliant new HDR ART function is very addictive. It produces vibrant art-like photos of scenery and objects, often more interesting to look at when compared to the same shot taken in normal mode.

However the video-side of this new camera has some ups and downs. Casio have take a some steps forward and some back!

On the upside:-

1) In normal mode, you can take video clips AND zoom in at the same time whilst keeping focus. Previous cameras taking video clips forced you to choose the zoom level before starting the clip.

2) Also you can take multiple high-speed pictures whilst actually filming a video clip at the same time! I have had mixed success with this feature so far. For people situations (e.g. person receiving a birthday cake) the video and pictures were great. For fast moving situations (e.g. sport) the video was fine but the pictures were blurred.

On the downside:-

1) The video clips are now in MOV format rather than the better AVI format. Playback quality and editing, particular on a Windows PC, suffers as a result.

2) The slow motion video capability has been carelessly ruined. The most widely-used slow-motion toggle mode was 30-120 at 640x480 full screen size. This mode is MISSING from this new camera, which instead only has 30-240 at 432x320 available postage stamp size i.e. quality no good. What this means is that this camera is effectively useless if you want to film sport and toggle between normal motion and slow motion during the clip. The other modes are only useful if you want to take slow motion for the complete duration of the clip. Furthermore Casio tell me that they won't be releasing a patch to fix this.

3) Even worse, the little switch at the back of the camera which toggles between slow motion (HS = High Speed) and normal motion modes has been removed! This means cannot switch out of taking slow motion video without going through the menus. The other day I ended up using two different cameras - one for slow motion, one for normal motion!

In summary, I highly recommend this camera if you want a small powerful camera for taking great pictures. But if you are into slow motion video like me (e.g. sport) then the previous model Casio EX-FH100 which I own takes far better video clips.

5.0 out of 5 stars Casio ex zr100 digital camerai for high speed video and HDR stills., 8 Dec 2011

I love this camera. I bought it for the high speed video feature. I have used it for studying the flapping wings of birds on take off and flight and also for tennis serves, golf swings and water splashing. I've used the zoom for filming surfers at Bondi from the beach with good results. the video format MOV is compressed unlike the avi of former models so you can take a very large number of video clips and stills - I used an 8G sd card for 3 weeks of active snapping on a hol in Australia and still had room for more. I usually take clips of 2 to 15 seconds and i took around 15 minutes of video total after editing.
The HDR feature is very useful and often obviates the need for flash. This setting takes several high speed images under different aperture and exposure times within a small fraction of a second and then the processor combines them into one picture with all areas of the picture showing good contrast.
The panorama setting produces up to full 360 degree strips by computing together many stills and the results are impressive.
I now choose this camera over my Panasonic 12x zoom compactdmc zs3.
The video clips and stills are in formats compatible with the iPhone and iPad so I was able to view them and to produce slide shows and films with iMovie each day on the trip.
The benefit of this camera over casio's earlier high speed model is that the output require less memory space. If you use the 30/240 fps setting in video quality from the menu setting you can switch from 30 to 240 whilst taking a clip. One review I saw before buying said this was not possible.
The HDR Art. Feature is fun but I did not use it much- I was too excited by the HDR mode which produced great stills of scenery and crowd scenes.
Nice and small so goes in the pocket and ready to be pulled out when a photo opportunity crops up. I paid £180 in nov 2011.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent camera, 17 Aug 2012
Mrs. Gillian Clemens "Gill Clemens" (Uttoxeter, England) - See all my reviews
We needed a compact camera to take on holiday which would produce good, clear pictures. We photograph a lot of birds and wildlife and needed an efficient zoom function. This camera certainly lives up to expectations and we are impressed with the quality. We have had no hesitation in recommending it to friends and family.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely little camera!, 10 Nov 2013
Mr. D. Ohare - See all my reviews
Ive got 2 SLR's that I now leave in the house most of the time as I find this is more than adequate for most situations, nice clear pics that produce lovely crisp images!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great camera, 28 July 2013
I use it since 2010.
Pros:
- VERY FAST (pictures at 30fps, movies at 210, 480 and 1000fps). You can get details which are hidden usualy.
- good performances in low light (for a compact camera with a small senzor). High speed night picture mode is very efficient.
- Panorama and HDR function works great
- high optical zoom at a small size (12x).
- SR zoom is an interesting and usefull. You get ~25X at an acceptable quality (for me) - it is very usefull when you look for wildlife.
Cons:
- fisheye efect at 24mm (perhaps it is normal for a small lens with a high zoom)
- after ~1 year of use I have got an annoyng spot on the images when I use zoom. I guess it is just bad luck and it is not a common bug but... it happened to me.

Overall it is a good compact camera with a lot of interesting features in a small size body.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant camera, 9 Oct 2012
Bought this for my youngest son as he has wanted a camera for so long - this camera takes panoramic, takes 40 frames per second and you can make pictures look like art - he will have so much fun and I want to play with it too!

3.0 out of 5 stars Reasonable camera, rubbish seller., 24 Feb 2013
Bought on Amazon but turns out it was via a third party - I'm always wary when that happens. Anyway, camera when it worked was ok, not very good for gigs though. Battery wouldn't recharge and unsurprisingly the Seller was most unhelpful! Contacted Casio who have been great in repairing the fault. In hindsight I don't think I'd buy this camera again, there are definitely better ones on the maket in the same price range.

3.0 out of 5 stars It is rather limited in its high speed video mode., 24 Feb 2013
In its 1,000 frames per second mode it is rather limited. The quality is poor and you view a strip of pictures a few pixels wide. Much better at 480 frames per second or anything approaching more normal recording speeds for videos. I wanted to record high speed water droplets to study their behaviour. I think this sort of study requires a much bigger investments, but in other respects the camera is very useable.